PDA

View Full Version : FGC - Module Inter-dependency

JonStormbringer
June 9th, 2020, 22:30
Hopefully, I'm able to make this a clear question.

I have two, inter-dependent, modules. If I update one of the modules with more content, will it break the dependencies/links once I update/export the modified module?

To try to illustrate my question better:

5E PHB has descriptions for spells. 5E DMG, in the ITEMS section are a multitude of "Scrolls of X" X=spell name. Inside each one of those scrolls of X, the DMG has a LINK to the appropriate spell in the PHB. Now, if I go into the PHB and add more content, such as adding more spells and/or races, and then export that module will it keep those links in the DMG? So when I load my modules, I'm loading the DMG + the revised PHB, not the original PHB.

Do I need to keep the module names the same? That is name the revision the same thing as the older version?

Sorry if this is a weird question, but I ran into an issue like this with a different database (non-Fantasy Ground) and ended up having to go through and re-link a bunch of stuff. I'm into 3 weeks of working on these modules and I don't want to go through something like that here.

Thanks for the help!

LordEntrails
June 9th, 2020, 23:20
Links are made by object name and source name. So adding content and modifying content will not break links. Links will only break if you rename the objects or the modules.

Yes, keep the module names (and filenames) the same. Don't put revisions in your module names. It will cause your links to break.

JonStormbringer
June 9th, 2020, 23:27
Excellent. Thanks for the speedy answer! Appreciate the help.