PDA

View Full Version : Issue with Encumbrance

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 06:53
I ran into this surprisingly when triple-checking my new pregens. I looked on the inventory tab and noticed the enc limit was incorrect.

I noticed for a d6 STR, it was 40.
For a d8, it was 60

etc.

This happened in SWD (at first WotD but then did it on my main PC in SWD instead and example archtypes also still wrong.)

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 06:57
I just checked, for SWADE with Kort from Lankhmar Triplecross - it has d8 STR and Load Limit = 80?

Also - so the SWADE PG/GM books do not have archtypes? (I haven't read these yet - still using SWD)

EDIT: Final update before sleep, while had SWADE open - I clicked to start a new character. d4 STR default. Hit Inventory tab and enc limit was 20 (correct)

Dropped a d6 on STR, went to Inv tab and it was 40 now instead of 30...

mac40k
June 9th, 2020, 15:24
I just checked, for SWADE with Kort from Lankhmar Triplecross - it has d8 STR and Load Limit = 80?

Also - so the SWADE PG/GM books do not have archtypes? (I haven't read these yet - still using SWD)

EDIT: Final update before sleep, while had SWADE open - I clicked to start a new character. d4 STR default. Hit Inventory tab and enc limit was 20 (correct)

Dropped a d6 on STR, went to Inv tab and it was 40 now instead of 30...

SWADE increased load limit over what it was in SWD. 40 for d6 is correct for SWADE.

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 15:37
Ah, that makes sense then.

They probably have encumbrance calculation in the shared code portion. I was wondering if much like with my not knowing about “bonuslist” there wasn’t something I was not doing that was causing a bonus to be added.

I’ll pull up my pdf (hardcovers are under a stack of books to sort) and see how it is done then take a look at the code if have time. In the meanwhile I. An continue double checking since the incorrect encumbrance e error is not in my source xml

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 17:39
Glad I looked at the PDF because originally was noting it was "correct" for d4 when first create the character then went "wrong" (it wasn't for SWADE) so now I see it just "dovetails" with old rules on d4.

These weights seem more sensible anyhow. But I don't expect they back ported to SWD? (they=PEGINC)

So it's a new bug accidentally put in SWD due to SWADE change. Is way to handle it to change by hand after? If so anything present would recalc and override it giving us problems?

Ikael
June 9th, 2020, 19:07
Note that Load Limit is not automatically calculated in SWD. You have to manually change it. In SWADE the load limit id automatically calculated for you (thanks to streamlined rules) and you cannot even change the field manually. If you created character using SWADE ruleset and changed it to SWD then you see value that SWADE populated for you. You should manually update it according to SWD rules.

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 20:27
Gotya.

But I am confused on some things.

When trying to import a character for whom I SET the <encumbrance> tags, it does not use them and it puts in it's own value. So it seems to not take it as written, but instead since it is a derived value, it CALCULATES it - which is reasonable. But the calculation is incorrect for SWD.

Do you mean that if I was using a PreSWADE's creation in SWD that import tag would have been ignored and the field once imported would have been simply blank awaiting someone to type in it?

And when instead, I CREATE a character, it defaults to all d4 stats, I click on Inventory tag and it shows Max Limit of 20 (which is correct according to SWD and SWADE rulesets both.) If I drop a d6 in the STR slot, the Inventory tab now says "40" instead of the original "20".

I created the character using SWD rules only. And it DID populate it for me. So I do NOT understand:
"Note that Load Limit is not automatically calculated in SWD."

So either you have not loaded or created a character since this was done in SWADE or I am completely misunderstanding the statement.

The last part of you message: "If you created character using SWADE ruleset and changed it to SWD then you see value that SWADE populated for you. You should manually update it according to SWD rules." does NOT apply - I did not at any point load SWADE when I created the new character just now. But, of course I can change it. And it stays correct when go to another tab and return to the inventory tab :)

... but (and this is why I feel you are NOT looking at SWD at all) if you then increase strength, let's say after an advance... it gets misrecalculated (I upped to d8 and my 30 became 60 (instead of EITHER staying 30 if TRULY SWD did not do the calc for you or 40 if it did it correctly.)

So, to me, as I said in first "issue report", the >SWD< ruleset ... loaded by itselt. Creating a character from scratch, IS actually calculating Limit and it is in fact using SWADE rules to do so. At first, I simply thought it was a calc bug until folks mentioned it was right for SWADE.

So, do you need to fix it so SWD does not keep overwriting what the user puts in or do you need to fix it so it calculates it right?

I read in the other thread that you are not backporting functionality. So ASSUMING you are correct in that before SWADE was added and SWD existed on it's own it did not calculate Limit, then it is a simple fix if you wish to exert only the effort to keep it the same. Make it override to do nothing instead of populating it. And then users can add an extension to do DICEx5 if it is extensible in a way end users can do themselves without worrying about the change being updated new SWD refresh.

Varsuuk
June 9th, 2020, 20:30
TLDR;

SWD DOES >right now< "recalculate" Limit every time STR is changed whether on creation or on advances or mistake fixing.
SWD uses the SWADE formulat for LIMIT

My GUESS: when SWADE was added and you first added autocalc (I can only go by your statements of past, I never played more thna 3 times) then because SWD uses SWADE ruleset as part of it's implementation, it must be using the ENC rules and you need to disconnect it (letter of the law) or implement a method in SWD that does the same update but instead DICEx5.