PDA

View Full Version : Player unable to connect to my server out of nowhere ""Unable to connect to host"

Tyrannorapter
June 7th, 2020, 19:25
Hello all,

I have a player in our group who has recently been having issues connecting to our games for some reason but I for the life of me cannot figure out what the issue is.

To give you guys and gals a run down of our situation currently he and I are both home from college for the summer and we shift between two different houses every week because of our parents divorce. Honestly great system and I enjoy switching houses.

For the first couple weeks of being back from college both my bro and I would be connected to same wifi and I could host the game server fine and he could join it just as fine, all of our other players who live in out parts of the world connect fine as well.

This was the situation for both houses so it was good until last week (Home A for clarification). My Brother had attempted to connect to the server as he all ways does but it gave him the following error: "Unable to connect to host - Could not connect to the host. Verify network settings and try again."

I was a little surprised to see this as all my other players were not have any sort of issue, we tabled the session and said we would do it next week. When we make it to the other house (Home B) low and behold he connects fine, thinking it was a fluke I loaded up my server the following week once we returned to Home A and he tells me he is having the same issue and can't connect.

I have access to both of our desktops so I have been hopping on his PC to try and fix it but I have had no success thus far. Any ideas?

Trenloe
June 7th, 2020, 19:29
Welcome to the FG forums.

If you're in the same house (on the same network) the player should connected to the GM using their local IP address, not the alias or external IP address. This is because many Internet routers don't allow someone on the same network to exit to the Internet and then come back in to connect to another computer.

The local IP address will be shown on the GM instance in the "Internal" address information field.

Tyrannorapter
June 7th, 2020, 19:37
Holy Moly!,

I figured it would have been something super simple but that was the issue? I never knew that would have been a issue.

Thanks so much for getting back to me! He logged on and it works!