PDA

View Full Version : Community Page Countdown

Oberoten
April 17th, 2007, 12:54
Soo? Anyone else noticed this little thing?

At the time of writing it is going down from 5044500 At a rate of roughly 10 / Second.

So... if this is the release clock for FG II (I am kinda thinking it might be...)

That gives 504450 Seconds left. = 8407 Minutes. = 140 Hours... OR 5,8 Days...

Here is to hoping.

lucyanor
April 17th, 2007, 13:40
Ok. Its 13:37 here in london and counter is 5052641 at that instance.
Same calcs and it means 8421 minutes 140.35 hours or 5.847 days.

Seems about accurate.

lucyanor
April 17th, 2007, 13:41
Only question is why did I get a larger start number...

Mellock
April 17th, 2007, 13:42
Huh, I was just wondering about the little bugger myself. Unfortunately, they had the foresight to just call it "countdown", but the nr 2 on top is... well, if it *weren't* about FG2, i'd say it was downright cruel :)

Ugh, and to think I just gotten my hands on it yesterday.

calvinNhobbes
April 17th, 2007, 14:02
Very exciting!
It's not just on the community page, but the main page as well.
My counter says ~5,200,000.

Nokameeno
April 17th, 2007, 14:16
I am cominging up with a different counter number then the rest of you have. I am in Memphis TN, US. Assuming I did my math correct, and this is the release countdown (fingers crossed) then it would me a Monday, April 23 release.... It that what the rest of you are getting?

lucyanor
April 17th, 2007, 14:30
I am cominging up with a different counter number then the rest of you have. I am in Memphis TN, US. Assuming I did my math correct, and this is the release countdown (fingers crossed) then it would me a Monday, April 23 release.... It that what the rest of you are getting?

It actually is. and around 9 in the morning...

joshuha
April 17th, 2007, 15:14
The source code for the page doesn't say much but the logo behind the counter is the same logo on the desktop of FG 2.0 beta.

So I am pretty sure this is when FG 2 will be released, whether as a final version or an "open" beta isn't really known but in both cases it would still be available to everyone.

Elf
April 17th, 2007, 15:21
I was trying to remember where I had seen that logo... I have seen it elsewhere as well but I think that is a good theory! {crosses fingers looks at his counter, does some calculating.}

I too come up with April 23rd.....

deguello
April 17th, 2007, 15:30

That's what I am getting

sunbeam60
April 17th, 2007, 16:32
My counter is stuck at 00000000. Does that mean I can download FGII somewhere??? :D

Weird, cuz' I have Javascript enabled ...

UPDATE: If you arrive at this website by https://fantasygrounds.com the count down will not work. If you arrive using https://www.fantasygrounds.com, the counter works. So there...

Traygin
April 17th, 2007, 17:17
My counter is stuck at 00000000. Does that mean I can download FGII somewhere??? :D

Weird, cuz' I have Javascript enabled ...

Me too :D Well I think it uses Flash but I have the latest flash player and it still does not work. Oh well :p

2ed paladin
April 17th, 2007, 17:33
I was trying to remember where I had seen that logo... I have seen it elsewhere as well but I think that is a good theory! {crosses fingers looks at his counter, does some calculating.}

I too come up with April 23rd.....

I get it, the delay was in order to wait for my birthday!

Thanks Devs!

Yenooc
April 17th, 2007, 19:00
I, too, got a higher start number--and when I put my cursor over it, I got a "Use this feature" (or something similar) info bar. When I clicked on it, the cursor changed back to a plain arrow . . . and nothing. :confused:

Dachannien
April 17th, 2007, 19:36
Not really sure why they didn't just use Javascript, but I'm glad you guys indicated when the countdown will expire, because I don't use Flash. It's pure evil.

Nokameeno
April 17th, 2007, 20:36
Well playing the clock on my PC does nothing to move the time one way or the other. Not being satisfied with that answer I went and moved my timezone to GMT London ect.... and presto it took a load of the countdown away.

It seems that for some reason that they are doing a phased release.....or simply did not realize that this was happening with the counter

*****had to refresh for the counter to see the change*****

Sigurd
April 17th, 2007, 21:08
Or they are just experiamenting and will let us know when they have a handle on it.

S

greowhiste
April 17th, 2007, 21:46
Why hasn't anyone praised FG for coming to completion?! Why isn't anyone else saying that they are excited beyond belief!

I'm excited beyond belief Smite Works! Thank you!!!

(It is my opinion it probably isn't an open beta because of the hoopla they're making with their awesome counter. I'm hoping for the real thing, but i'll take any bite of new chewy FG goodness.)

Culdraug
April 17th, 2007, 21:49
Why hasn't anyone praised FG for coming to completion?! Why isn't anyone else saying that they are excited beyond belief!

I'm excited beyond belief Smite Works! Thank you!!!

(It is my opinion it probably isn't an open beta because of the hoopla they're making with their awesome counter. I'm hoping for the real thing, but i'll take any bite of new chewy FG goodness.)

Sorry, call me the pessimist, but I wont get excited until someone officially says "its ready". They could be timing down till someones bday :)

Lee S.
April 17th, 2007, 22:43
At the time of this posting, the counter was somewhere around 4944.600. I rounded up to 5000 and divided by the total number of minutes in a day.

5000 / 1440 = 3.472 days. (round it up to 4 days since it's early evening on Tuesday the 17th).

That puts the clock, I'm guessing at reaching zero on Saturday the 21st. Does anyone know of any Gaming Cons this weekend? Maybe they're unveiling it there.

Sigurd
April 17th, 2007, 23:36
Why hasn't anyone praised FG for coming to completion?!
Have you actually heard something?

One of the difficulties of not getting any information from the developer is that people jump to conclusions that cause far more dissappointment than a real release schedule. Maybe the developers feel that they avoid the heat but I think they lose more people to dissapontement over false communications.

Until I see something of an explanation there is an undescribed window on the front page. It pictures a 12 sider with a 2 showing, and a bunch of zeroes after it.

Without an explanation I don't know any more than that..

Sigurd

kimba
April 18th, 2007, 00:46

I also get the April 23rh release 494362 and counting... = 8240 minutes rounded up. = 138 hours also rounded up = 6 days rounding up. (5.72)
it is 4:42 on the 17th PST. giving the 23rd. WOOT! if this is what we think it is - let me give the Smite Works a very big CONGRATS!

Now if this is not what we think it is you will have some very disapointed people out here. No pressure....

Mellock
April 18th, 2007, 01:52
The logo, the number 2 on the die, the full-page ad in the march issue of dungeon magazine that says "fantasy grounds 2" (with screenshots)... dunno. It almost feels too easy. :)

Tailz Silver Paws
April 18th, 2007, 02:39
The logo, the number 2 on the die, the full-page ad in the march issue of dungeon magazine that says "fantasy grounds 2" (with screenshots)... dunno. It almost feels too easy. :)
It almost feels too easy... didn't someone in a movie say next "Thats about when the ground falls out from under you."

But if it is a count down to the release of FG2, I guess I better get my tail into gear and finish my Starter Token packs.

Haplo
April 18th, 2007, 04:17
wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo ooooooo

Just 1 happy customer to balance the cautious few out there who are hiding their happyness behind a wall of stone... so what if you step out and you end up getting fireball'd...

We all die one day, I'm first over the wall believing FG2 is ready in 5 days!!

Dupre
April 18th, 2007, 08:24
Oops, it wasn't working as intended. You ought to see the same number now.

The High Druid
April 18th, 2007, 11:25
Oh.

All I see now are zeroes. Yesterday I had a countdown timer.

So, is it still broken or are zeroes the intended result at the moment?

Cantstanzya
April 18th, 2007, 11:58
I get the countdown. It seems to be working fine now.

The High Druid
April 18th, 2007, 12:19
Which means whatever was done to 'fix' it, hasn't since it was working for me yesterday and isn't today.

Oberoten
April 18th, 2007, 12:24
Reload the page with CTRL+F5 to refresh and make sure you get the new version of the flash.

sunbeam60
April 18th, 2007, 16:28
Right, a friend of mine l33t hax0red the SWF flash file and found:
yr = 2007;
mo = 4;
da = 23;
ho = 10;

So, basically at the 23rd of April, 10 am, something happens. What? The flash becomes clickable and takes the user to /downloads.

So, yes, I think it's safe to say that FG II is coming out on Monday, the 23rd of April, 10am. Download it from https://www.fantasygrounds.com/downloads/

Toadwart
April 19th, 2007, 01:15
Will someone from SmiteWorks please just tell the community what that counter is. Or get rid of it.
I mean really. What is the point of putting up something like that with no explanation?

Malovech
April 19th, 2007, 01:52
Will someone from SmiteWorks please just tell the community what that counter is. Or get rid of it.
I mean really. What is the point of putting up something like that with no explanation?

I think it's to drive you mad!

Cantstanzya
April 19th, 2007, 02:01
I mean really. What is the point of putting up something like that with no explanation?It's called Hype. Many software companies do this to create a buzz about a release. If they were to just come out and say it will be released on a certain day everyone would say great and wait. By doing something like this counter it keeps people guessing. It gets peoples hopes up... is it going to be released or not???? Kinda like a scary movie. Them coming out and telling us the release date would be like someone say "The killer is in the closet" during a movie, and ruining the suspense.
I remember when Unreal Tournament 2K3 was coming out, they had a webcam focused on a piece of cardboard with a number on it. Everyone kept guessing what the number meant. They had so many hits to the website it crashed. C'mon, it's a countdown timer, what do you think it is counting down to?

Deuce
April 19th, 2007, 02:07
C'mon, it's a countdown timer, what do you think it is counting down to?

Not only that, but it's got a "2" on the die face... Not sure you could actually give a bigger clue.

Agamon
April 19th, 2007, 02:09

Seriously? With all the obvious clues, you still need someone to spell it out? I think this is cool.

longarms
April 19th, 2007, 03:02
"Seriously? With all the obvious clues, you still need someone to spell it out?"

What - guys, this countdown marks the beginning of armageddon right?

Yea, I think its pretty obvious what is really going to happen...

sozin
April 19th, 2007, 03:18
congratulations smite works and developers!

Paxar
April 19th, 2007, 05:13
right-click the banner and select "forward" the banner then changes to say "Fantasy Grounds II" thus explaining why it takes you to the download page, that's what it will show when the timer runs down

HeavilyMental
April 19th, 2007, 06:31
I think this is a great thing to see and a fun little gimmick. Great job, guys. Can't wait for FG2!

mr_h
April 19th, 2007, 13:39
Personally I think it's a countdown timer to the next time they announce FG2 has been delayed.

Darn programmers and their twisted senses of humor....

richvalle
April 19th, 2007, 14:28
Personally I think it's a countdown timer to the next time they announce FG2 has been delayed.

Darn programmers and their twisted senses of humor....

LOL too funny.

I like the timer. There is only one thing we are all waiting for so its obvious what it is.

What annoys me to no end is commercials on tv for drugs where they don't say what it does. 'Ask your Dr. about it today!'. Grrrr!

rv

lucyanor
April 19th, 2007, 14:33
Ok guys, I ll keep this one simple and sort.

I ve always liked counters and remember Red Alert 2 with its coutner and myself waiting to play the game with increasing anticipation...

I am having my anticipation increased for Monday to click on Download and get FG 2.

I will have to suggest something though. I am sure that if all of us try to connect at 00000000 time and click download, we will "not help" the server that FG2 will be hosted in. Guys, no need to get it the moment it comes out, download reasonably, download once and distribute to your groups etc...

Please, lets all demonstrate good reason and not try to crash the server.

Paxar
April 19th, 2007, 14:50
What annoys me to no end is commercials on tv for drugs where they don't say what it does. 'Ask your Dr. about it today!'. Grrrr!

rv

They do that because if they say what the drug does they also have to list all its side-effects. It doesn't really matter to them if you know what it does or not. Name-recognition alone is enough to sell a lot of drugs.

Valarian
April 19th, 2007, 14:55
I will have to suggest something though. I am sure that if all of us try to connect at 00000000 time and click download, we will "not help" the server that FG2 will be hosted in. Guys, no need to get it the moment it comes out, download reasonably, download once and distribute to your groups etc...

Please, lets all demonstrate good reason and not try to crash the server.

Good suggestion! Last thing we want is a countdown to denial of service.

richvalle
April 19th, 2007, 16:14
Good suggestion! Last thing we want is a countdown to denial of service.

I agree. I suggest everyone waits till I get my download... then you can all start. Nice and simple.

:)

rv

Yenooc
April 19th, 2007, 16:47
I agree. I suggest everyone waits till I get my download... then you can all start. Nice and simple.

:)

rv

Since rv is first, I have dibs on being second. Okay, now everyone else form an orderly line behind me. :D

dLANbandit
April 19th, 2007, 17:21
it would be nice if they setup a torrent for it. Or if one of the early people did so for them.

kimba
April 19th, 2007, 17:52
are my calculations corect? I have a 10pm release time on Sunday night the 22nd? Pacific Standard time. can someone double check my math here?

Paxar
April 19th, 2007, 19:38
are my calculations corect? I have a 10pm release time on Sunday night the 22nd? Pacific Standard time. can someone double check my math here?

That's what I got, though it was midnight Central Standard Time. Same thing.

Culdraug
April 19th, 2007, 20:26
Since rv is first, I have dibs on being second. Okay, now everyone else form an orderly line behind me. :D

<pushing and shoving>

Bah! orderly lines are for you goodie types!! :pirate:

Malovech
April 20th, 2007, 00:43
<pushing and shoving>

Bah! orderly lines are for you goodie types!! :pirate:

Culdraug you have the greatest icon I have ever seen. Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds?

Culdraug
April 20th, 2007, 02:09
Culdraug you have the greatest icon I have ever seen. Pool of Radiance or Curse of the Azure Bonds?

Thanks, but actually its forgottenworld :)

www.forgottenworld.com

Mellock
April 20th, 2007, 02:53

I couldn't resist trying to make one myself. (Based on a pixellated picture I blantantly ripped from somewhere on the internet ofcourse) You can have it if you want Malovech :)

Oberoten
April 20th, 2007, 10:06
Intriguing... *loading now* ... the graphics on the site looks like the old SSI Goldbox games which I admittedly loved.

... heh there is MUCH love for this. :)

Culdraug
April 20th, 2007, 18:36
If you like FW (hope you do) let me know and I will try to make some time to show you around.

I have the means to create icons like mine via our backup server. Its part of the new website I'm building. I just need to add a user interface for it. The original goal was to create the icon in game then have it show on the site. But what the heck. Might as well let people use it for the icons alone.

BTW, remember the orginal Neverwinter Nights from AOL? FW is a recreation of that game.

hedgewizard
April 21st, 2007, 01:33
Very exciting! I am eager to update to 2.0

I am a bit hesitant about updating my just completed WFRP system, but I will gladly slog through the necessary work given the improvements.

richvalle
April 21st, 2007, 02:36
Very exciting! I am eager to update to 2.0

I am a bit hesitant about updating my just completed WFRP system, but I will gladly slog through the necessary work given the improvements.

FG2 installs into a seperate directory so it runs side by side with FG1. So, you can keep using your WFRP while you convert it to 2.0.

rv

kimba
April 21st, 2007, 03:02
will FG1 work with FG2 by chance? If someone does not want to upgrade for whatever reason or simply has not upgraded yet?

Griogre
April 21st, 2007, 03:16
FG1 will not work with FG2. If you want to still play FG1 you will need to run the FG1 exe, your current exe. FG2 is a totally seperate install. You can run either one but they don't talk to each other.

Sigurd
April 21st, 2007, 03:29
Looks like it is going to happen :)

Does anyone know what the upgrade routine will be for people who own the program already? Will it work with the old serial numbers or will we need reissues???

Sigurd

Traygin
April 21st, 2007, 04:17
Sigurd,
I would think you should be able to use the old serial number.

Dachannien
April 21st, 2007, 16:56
Will the installs be separate? I.e., can I install FG2 without interfering with my install of FG1?

Paxar
April 21st, 2007, 17:21
Will the installs be separate? I.e., can I install FG2 without interfering with my install of FG1?

That's the story. They are supposed to install parallel to each other.

Dachannien
April 21st, 2007, 19:17
Great to hear - should make the switch go a ton more smoothly. :)

hedgewizard
April 21st, 2007, 19:40
FG2 installs into a seperate directory so it runs side by side with FG1. So, you can keep using your WFRP while you convert it to 2.0.

rv

Wow - did not know that. That's comforting! Thanks!

rom90125
April 21st, 2007, 21:04
after losing faith in the developers, I feel I should announce that I am beyond excited to get my hands on FGII. I'm contemplating taking the day off on Tuesday just so I can get up to speed with the application.

Tailz Silver Paws
April 23rd, 2007, 03:31
after losing faith in the developers, I feel I should announce that I am beyond excited to get my hands on FGII. I'm contemplating taking the day off on Tuesday just so I can get up to speed with the application.
I must admit the same also, here's cheers for Fantasy Grounds 2! :D