PDA

View Full Version : How do completely remove FGU from a computer?

Lonewolf
June 4th, 2020, 17:58
How do completely remove FGU from a computer. Should be simple but it is not. I am currently playing hunt the for the settings file. Where is it hidden?

Have used uninstall option but that leaves crap behind which breaks stuff later on. Have nuked Smiteworks files in user and low local roaming so far. However I still get information appearing in settings after a fresh install.
I want every trace of FGU gone for a completely brand new virgin install. I want to nothing to be saved. No settings at all.

Zacchaeus
June 4th, 2020, 17:59
Settings are saved in your registry.

Lonewolf
June 4th, 2020, 18:45
Settings are saved in your registry.
I was afraid that might be the answer. Now how do I clean up the registery manually since the uninstaller does not do it? :confused:

Added pressure is I want to keep classic running. So those classic registery settings must stay. So I am a bit scared to poke around too much without a reminder of how to fix the registery.

I am also wondering if other users hit problems due to bad install becuase there is old registery information left behind. Its a bit tricky because FGU fights back when trying to update settings information. Like the location of the data folder. Since it tries to remember an old location that might no longer exist. Where the folder is missing it creates an empty file. Normally if end users are having a ton of problems I would recommend simply uninstalling and starting again from fresh. Now I know a lot of users will want to save campaign folders. However I would like to see an option to totally clean out everything. It just seems better to clean out on a regular basis during beta.

Trenloe
June 4th, 2020, 18:55
Look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmiteWorks and maybe HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks in the registry.

Lonewolf
June 4th, 2020, 20:49
Look at HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\SmiteWorks and maybe HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\SmiteWorks in the registry.

I renamed those SmiteWorks register keys. So FGU can't find them and it now thinks I have never used FGU. ;)
So problem seems to be fixed. Many thanks.

I am wondering if the repeated reports about folder permissions errors are related. Where end users try a reinstall and get the same errors. Never knowing the registery must be manually cleaned.

Kelrugem
June 5th, 2020, 09:40
I renamed those SmiteWorks register keys. So FGU can't find them and it now thinks I have never used FGU. ;)
So problem seems to be fixed. Many thanks.

I am wondering if the repeated reports about folder permissions errors are related. Where end users try a reinstall and get the same errors. Never knowing the registery must be manually cleaned.

Actually, to fix the permission error one had to reinstall or to fix the permission manually :) So, probably not related

I also reinstalled some while, with new definitions of the directory, but I had no problems with the existing registry

Lonewolf
June 6th, 2020, 13:05
Actually, to fix the permission error one had to reinstall or to fix the permission manually :) So, probably not related

I also reinstalled some while, with new definitions of the directory, but I had no problems with the existing registry

Yes but did you also try to change the install directory? :confused:

For me the install location is stored in the registery in two places and does not clear on an uninstall. This borks the install when folder is changed. The change has to done after install through the advanced tab. The changes here don't always work becuase it assumes the default values from the registery. When they do work it still leaves junk behind.

The principle problem is the settings don't uninstall. So a true "clean" install requires manual registery changes. For true beta testing this can become an unnecessary technical barrier for QA. Unless people are experienced with this they can end up chasing their tails trying to solve problems.

Just to be clear here. My problem is solved becuase you guys are awesome. The rest is just me speculating (perhaps wildly) about how partial unistall process might effect a software QA.:)

Kelrugem
June 6th, 2020, 13:08
Yes but did you also try to change the install directory? :confused:

For me the install location is stored in the registery in two places and does not clear on an uninstall. This borks the install when folder is changed. The change has to done after install through the advanced tab. The changes here don't always work becuase it assumes the default values from the registery. When they do work it still leaves junk behind.

The principle problem is the settings don't uninstall. So a true "clean" install requires manual registery changes. For true beta testing this can become an unnecessary technical barrier for QA. Unless people are experienced with this they can end up chasing their tails trying to solve problems.

yeah, both directories were different than last time for me :) not sure what was different for me; I read about many people reinstalling, and you're the first one I read about who has that problem

But nevertheless, yes, would be nice when the registry would be cleaned, too :)