PDA

View Full Version : Is there any way I can force a player to roll a set number?

Rylan Storm
June 1st, 2020, 20:59
I am the DM of a game which contains a sorcerer. Whenever he uses Tides of Chaos I make him roll on the Wild Magic Surge table.

Is there any way I can ask him to roll the dice but fix the roll with a certain result? I have a great idea for a narrative twist but need a set result to come up.

Griogre
June 1st, 2020, 21:13
While my players accuse me of "fixing" die rolls its not really possible. You would need to use sleight of hand, ie roll on a table where the only option is the one you want but make sure he doesn't see the table, ie make a second Wild Surge table. Ultimately, IMO, this is why you normally want GM hidden rolls so you can "fix" things benighly or according to your plot.

As another option consider just roleplaying out the result instead of rolling on a table or make the result you want a condition of the area / local history, ect.

damned
June 2nd, 2020, 00:18
Dont hide the fact that you are taking some control.
Tell him what happens.
However if you do this make sure that it is not at the expense of the players fun, make sure it adds to the story, to the plot, to the fun.

jerrie
June 4th, 2020, 02:48
As a player...ya wanna trust your dm... and if ever a player suspects, or if doubt creeps into their souls... it's not something ya want. That being said you are the creator, if this idea is the world then do it but there has to be a better way than "rigged" dice. Protect player/dm trust, it is such a fragile thing.

GavinRuneblade
June 5th, 2020, 17:32
Dont hide the fact that you are taking some control.
Tell him what happens.
However if you do this make sure that it is not at the expense of the players fun, make sure it adds to the story, to the plot, to the fun.

This.

Players are generally cool with you acting s the DM to determine the outcome when it fits and is fun, even if the outcome is bad for them. Players are not cool when you intentionally screw them over and there's nothing they can do about it.

Give the reason, explain what happens. If you are rolling then let the dice decide. If you need a result, don't roll.

Rylan Storm
June 18th, 2020, 16:19
Thanks for this. I figured it might be the case.

As a new DM I'm learning lessons like this every time I play and I totally understand the point that sometimes it's better not to make a player roll. However, in this particular case I may just wait for it to come up naturally. I'm not intending to screw the character over at all - it's just that, whenever he accidentally teleports or when he gets warped to the abyssal plane for a turn, I'm planning on doing a roleplaying session that feeds into his backstory. I just feel it will be better for this to occur on it's own rather than me forcing it. I do accept though that, with the Wild Magic Table that could take a while.