PDA

View Full Version : New Tokens: Scale Me!

Tailz Silver Paws
April 10th, 2007, 04:59
I've come up with a handy set of tokens to help with setting token to map scale (something that frustrates me a bit). I have nick named these tokens the "Scale Me" tokens, as thats just how you use them.
https://www.wyldfurr.com/e107_files/downloadimages/scale-me.jpg
If all the tokens you use are the same scale, use the "Scale Me" token of that scale and place it upon your map. Then using the token scaleing option in Fantasy Grounds you can change the size of the token until the square matches the size of your character squares on your map - once its a match, lock the token scale.

Now whenever you place a token of the same scale onto your map, it will be the correct scale.
https://www.wyldfurr.com/e107_images/scale-me-1.jpg
https://www.wyldfurr.com/e107_images/scale-me-2.jpg
https://www.wyldfurr.com/e107_images/scale-me-3.jpg
https://www.wyldfurr.com/e107_images/scale-me-4.jpg

Sigurd
April 10th, 2007, 07:25
Once more Tails Silver Paws and the plucky forces of planet X, have saved the Day!

Great idea.

Sigurd

richvalle
April 10th, 2007, 14:26
Since I only use square tokens I don't have this issue, but I can see where it would be very handy with those top down ones. Nice job!

rv

devinnight
April 10th, 2007, 14:33
not only is the idea and implementation great but your little visual tutorial is nicely done.

Nice job.

-D

heruca
April 10th, 2007, 14:57
What Devinnight said.

Traygin
April 10th, 2007, 17:58
Nice job! But one question where is the token scaling option in FG? When I right click a token on a map I can get a lock/unlock token scale but after that I have no idea on how to scale the token(s).

Sigurd
April 10th, 2007, 18:01
You don't really scale the tokens so much as scale the map. If you roll the wheel your map increases or decreases in size compared to the token(s).

I think you might also be able to accomplish much the same by holding down the control key and moving the mouse but I'm not sure.

You may only pick one scale factor so make sure all your tokens are about the same size.

Sigurd.

Traygin
April 10th, 2007, 18:30
Thanks Singurd for the info, I was not sure if you could scale the tokens, but scaling the map works. I guess the best way to resize tokens is to use Adobe or Macromedia Fireworks etc…

richvalle
April 10th, 2007, 19:17
Drop in a token, then use the mouse wheel to zoom in and out till the scale is right. Then right click on a TOKEN and there is an option to lock the token scale.

I LOVE this feature. :)

rv

Tailz Silver Paws
April 11th, 2007, 01:51
Thanks Singurd for the info, I was not sure if you could scale the tokens, but scaling the map works. I guess the best way to resize tokens is to use Adobe or Macromedia Fireworks etc…
by zooming the map in and out your also scaling the tokens. So just zoom the map in or out till the "Scale Me" token matches the size of your character squares, then lock the token scale.

Its that simple - no need to resize stuff in photoshop.

This also assumes all your tokens are the same scale too.

Dazmiuth
April 11th, 2007, 03:24
This is a great addition Taliz, but it makes me want to make a request for a similar type of transparent token. How hard would it be to make the following tokens that you can place on top of tokens in play to represent conditions.

Here are a few examples:

A big red X - To put over a token that is dead
A big red P - For a token that is prone
A big red U - For tokens that are unconcious
etc..

The tokens would be transparent except for the letter, so that the token underneath could still be identified. I think tokens like these would be very usefull, and someone with your skill could make them easily I bet. Just an idea!

Daz

Tailz Silver Paws
April 11th, 2007, 07:31
This is a great addition Taliz, but it makes me want to make a request for a similar type of transparent token. How hard would it be to make the following tokens that you can place on top of tokens in play to represent conditions.

Here are a few examples:

A big red X - To put over a token that is dead
A big red P - For a token that is prone
A big red U - For tokens that are unconcious
etc..

The tokens would be transparent except for the letter, so that the token underneath could still be identified. I think tokens like these would be very usefull, and someone with your skill could make them easily I bet. Just an idea!

Daz
I was thinking about something along those lines as I was making the "Scale Me" tokens, but I was thinking of magical effects and the like.

Oh oh... I got an idea.... I could do little word bubbles like from comics that say something about the characters current condition....

Eg: unconcious characters could have a word bubble with "Zzzzz..." in it. As for dead or prone characters, most if not all of my token sets (when I release the full sets) include wounded and prone versions of the characters.

richvalle
April 11th, 2007, 14:32
I have a bunch of AOE effect tokens I picked up somewhere. There are circles (which we use in our game a lot), squares ect. I have have some that look like fire.

rv

Traygin
April 11th, 2007, 14:58
by zooming the map in and out your also scaling the tokens. So just zoom the map in or out till the "Scale Me" token matches the size of your character squares, then lock the token scale.

Its that simple - no need to resize stuff in photoshop.

This also assumes all your tokens are the same scale too.

Yea I was playing around with that functionality in FG and it works great, Like you say no need for PhotoShop :)

Tailz Silver Paws
April 12th, 2007, 06:01
Yea I was playing around with that functionality in FG and it works great, Like you say no need for PhotoShop :)
thats the aim. :)

bonzai95
July 19th, 2007, 20:55
But the lock and scale are for all tokens right? so if for whatever reason I have tokens of different sizes I am SOL. Or if someone Enlarges to a 10x10 creature I can't just scale their one token up right?

bonzai

Toadwart
July 19th, 2007, 23:43
Can also scale tokens individually IF they are linked to an entry on the combat tracker. Us the mouse scroller over the icon on the combat tracker (holding shift or ctrl , I always forget which, forces whole number increments 2x, 3x, etc)

bonzai95
July 20th, 2007, 00:28
I don't know if I'm linking them incorrectly or what, but my tokens just sping when I try the mouse wheel.

So, I have a player connect. I drag the players image into the combat tracker. I drag the combat tracker image onto the map.

I try to scale just that token and all it does is spin.

joshuha
July 20th, 2007, 00:43
It's the tokencontrol on the combat tracker that scales the token that is linked on the map. So hover you mouse over that and use shift/ctrl and middle mouse button. The difference between the two is the degree of scaling per notch.

bonzai95
July 20th, 2007, 00:55
It's the tokencontrol on the combat tracker that scales the token that is linked on the map. So hover you mouse over that and use shift/ctrl and middle mouse button. The difference between the two is the degree of scaling per notch.

ERrr... I knew that. Yeah... that's it. :o

Thanks for the help... I'll go find the dunce cap.

Bonzai

Tailz Silver Paws
July 20th, 2007, 01:38
So I take it the scale-me tokens have been handy?