PDA

View Full Version : FGU a huge disappointment so far.

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 04:13
I bought FGU to transition my group from Roll20 to FGU especially since it has support for Pathfinder v1 which my group prefers over v2. So far, it has been an exercise in frustration and anger. I have watched over a dozen youtube videos on FG and so far NOT A SINGLE ONE matches my screens with what they are showing. For example, for character creation in FGU there was a video and the most important button appears to be the tracker button. Guess what, the tracker button is not on my character sheet so the rest of the video is useless. I was hoping to import character from Herolab and Herolab even has an export to FG option in the save as. Then I read in the forums that the import utility does not exist in FGU nor are the devs likely to make one. I understand this software is Beta so things will change from time to time but right now I haven't found a single youtube resource that actually matches up with the version of the game I bought (Ultimate). Not character creation, not map creation, nothing. So far this has been about $250 bucks down the tube. (Ultimate plus a couple of Pathfinder books).

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 05:09
Tracker button? The tracker button is on the Pathfinder 2nd Edition Not the 1st edition? (Unless they put it on since I played 1st edition?) Perhaps got a hold of wrong video?

Wouldnt mind seeing a screen shot of your desktop to see if you've havent got the vanilla PF ruleset loaded?

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 05:26
Here is the screenshot (I blanked out my username)36254

damned
May 30th, 2020, 05:31
Welcome DontFearDaReaper

Start at the start and post a screenshot and a specific issue and we can walk through them.
After you get through a couple of things others will likely fall into place.

damned
May 30th, 2020, 05:32
The desktop is when you have a campaign loaded. A screen shot showing the Chat Window text is best.

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 05:40
I am game if you are. I am trying to create one of the characters from my current VTT game into FGU. Many questions from this one screen:
1. How do you assign the weapon focus feat to a specific weapon?
2. How do you populate class abilities and traits??36255

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 05:47
Next up. The character has a potion of barkskin +2 and a wand of cure light wounds with 48 charges left on it. How do you put that on the character sheet? Neither item appears in the items list. Is there another tab I have overlooked?

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 05:55
Yeah that looks like the vanilla PF, did you buy the Pathfinder Rulebook when you got your stuff?
Official Rulebook (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/store/product.php?id=PZOSMWPZO1110FG)

If you havnet and you have the PDF from pazio make sure you sync you account (as described in the link) to get a discount on the Core Rulebook

You technically dont "need" the core rulebook, you can put it all in yaself but thats gonna be ALOT of work

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 06:00
I have a bunch of the books including the core rule book. In addition to the ones in the screenshot, I also bought Ultimate Equipment for FGU.

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 06:09
Ok gimme a minute or two to look at each of your examples.

I dont play PF 1st ed (2nd) but ill have a crack
Please Wait Loading.......

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 06:26
1. How do you assign the weapon focus feat to a specific weapon?
2. How do you populate class abilities and traits??
After you have opened the library (where you loaded your modules) make sure all the buttons are turned on (select buttons at top)
Then you drag them over, so if you want to be a Druid. you open the Class button, find druid and drag it to the Class space on your character sheet and it will populate. (when you level you do that same thing. you DONT just increase the level by one, just drag over another for level 2)

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 06:33
Aha!! Found one issue, I had loaded both the Core Rulebook and the basic one. Unloaded the basic stuff and that fixed the class abilities and proficiency issue. Still don't know how to assign a weapon focus.

DontFearDaReaper
May 30th, 2020, 06:45
btw, the fix for the weapon focus worked. So now the big question mark is wands and potions which I cannot find on any list.

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 07:02
OK strange as it sounds you make magic items as spells, its just an oddity that FG has always had
This wand would be done the same way EXCEPT you would Make it another "spell Level" and prepare the "spell" 48 times (preparing the item as spells gives you a nice little way of ticking off uses)
With the wand when you make a "Spell" called "Wand of Lesser Healing" and right click on the spell, Select the Arrow ICON, then INSTEAD OF the little man select the Cross (HEAL) and then use the tiny maginify glass to change it to
heal the amount you need.

NOW YOU HAVE the core rule book I dont. SO you should be able to drag over the ACTUAL spell Lesser Heal or Barkskin +2 and rename them to WAND of lesser healing and POTION of Barkskin. They should HOPEFULLY have the effects already done

But you should see if any training stuff is coming up on FG College for Pathfinder 1st ed.

But someone more familiar with the Pathfinder 1st edtion would be better suited to help. Ask questions in the Pathfinder 1st sub-forum they are all hanging out in there...

(excuse the typos)
:)

Willot
May 30th, 2020, 07:16
Oh! and seek out all the EXTENSIONS for Pathfinder 1st that people have written They are free and some of them add ALOT of really cool stuff.

For example the Goblin theme you see in the videos is an extension. If you want YOUR game to look like that BEFORE you load your desktop Select it from the list of Theme Extensions (there are others to download and try to)

Here is Original PF2 Theme
With Extensions Loaded

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2020, 21:32
Only load the community extensions you NEED, and expect some extensions to conflict and cause errors with others. Personally, learn vanilla FG first, then once you know what you need start looking at extensions, not before.

Have you taken a free class or five at www.fantasygroundscollege.net?