PDA

View Full Version : UTF8 Encoding?

Tokuriku
April 8th, 2007, 11:11
Will FGII be able to use UTF-8 encoding?
This would permit to write in ANY language possible on the planet.
If it where still in xml, it would be as easy as to put UTF-8 as the character encoding at the top of the starting page.
I don't know if it is possible in the scripting language for FGII.

DrDeth
April 8th, 2007, 17:45
AFAIK, the xml files are indeed valid xml.

So in theory you could just change the encoding:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

Tokuriku
April 9th, 2007, 01:16
The problem is that there is no file to change it in.
I mean, there is no header file anywhere, it seems hardcoded.

I saw it in the DB.xml file that's created when the game is saved but even if you change it there, it comes back to normal after you save once :(

DrDeth
April 9th, 2007, 17:43
Ahhh....

You may need to make the change on the RuleSet itself.

I've never tried to modify a running campaign. Sorry I cant be more help.

Tokuriku
April 10th, 2007, 01:47
Thanks anyways :)
I went trough the hole ruleset and the standard data for the game and it cannot be ajusted.

Blacky
January 6th, 2011, 02:15
Any news on this?

I'm looking at various tutorials to start working on my first ruleset, and I would like to start clean if possible. The 3.5 Ruleset everyone suggest to start with and modify is encoded in 8859-1 (something I haven't used in almost 10 years, not enough glyphs in it). Apart from the proper charset conversion, and the xml doctype edit, is there anything else to do? Is the current (2.7.3) FG2 have trouble handling unicode character sets?

Moon Wizard
January 6th, 2011, 08:51
FG does not support UTF-8 encoding. All of the libraries and the entire font subsystem would need to be overhauled to support UTF-8. It's something that's on our wish list, but not currently scheduled for release.

JPG

Blacky
January 6th, 2011, 10:56
Too bad. Thanks for the answer.

burlingk
May 2nd, 2015, 22:26
Does anyone know if this has changed?

I would very much like to be able to use UTF8 encoding for my projects.

Given that I am moving back to Asia in the next few weeks, this would be an even more useful feature. :-)

Trenloe
May 2nd, 2015, 22:49
Does anyone know if this has changed?
Not in the current platform. It *might* be an option after/as part of the move to Unity.

burlingk
May 2nd, 2015, 22:57
I hope so. To be honest, it is one of the things that slowed me down from going for Ultimate. :-)

As a potential GM the options that Ultimate provide are very nice.

Not being able to easily use Japanese elements however slows me down a bit.

There is a good chance that where I am going, many of my contacts will be more comfortable in a mixed language environment.

:-)

So, if it helps any, the shift to UTF8 would help to smooth over at least one transaction. :)