PDA

View Full Version : AD&D 2E - New Menu issues

Soob
May 30th, 2020, 00:01
Hello there!

I have been running a campaign in D&D 2E in fantasy grounds. I have recently updated the client via the startup menu. During startup something popped up about a new menu, I assumed this would be a positive UI/UX change but have found it to be a bit clunky and requires more work to get to functions I need. I have unfortunately not found a way to remove this menu change from my campaign(I am still new at DM'ing in FG). Is there any way to salvage this without having to make a completely new campaign? I have spent many hours prepping encounters, items, npcs, that I don't want to lose.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you in advance :)

JohnD
May 30th, 2020, 01:31
Go into Options and change back to default. Exit the program and relaunch.

Soob
May 30th, 2020, 01:34
Go into Options and change back to default. Exit the program and relaunch.

Thank you so much! Such a simple fix, I was totally lost so I appreciate the help. :)

celestian
May 30th, 2020, 06:03
but have found it to be a bit clunky and requires more work to get to functions I need.

I'm curious, can you explain this? I want to improve the interface, not make it worse. Can you detail what requires more work to get to functions?

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2020, 21:16
I'm curious, can you explain this? I want to improve the interface, not make it worse. Can you detail what requires more work to get to functions?
Hoepfully we'll see what im131mm says, but I think it gets to what I have been trying to say about UI/UX from day one; No UI/UX is going to be ideal for everyone.

Personally, I can't image any menu driven interface being my preferred UI/UX. But, I also understand that for many people it is what they want/expect.

celestian
May 30th, 2020, 21:31
No UI/UX is going to be ideal for everyone.

That's no excuse to not address UI problems. There is loads of data to back up that users find more modern UI systems easier to learn and use daily. Whether one is "used" to the current system doesn't really address the problem. Infact there is data to suggest that people that initially try a new system will says it's worse until they've used it for a time. Ask them a month later and you'll get entirely different results (they like it).

Some people don't like change, but change isn't bad.

There are a many resources to use these days. I find the Material UI (https://material.io/design) site to be helpful.

Material is an adaptable system of guidelines, components, and tools that support the best practices of user interface design. Backed by open-source code, Material streamlines collaboration between designers and developers, and helps teams quickly build beautiful products.

I asked the question to the OP because I designed the system to reduce the work/confusion with the current systems to open/use menus. I mean the Book button alone is worth the change over....If they can point out what I missed, I'll be happy to correct it.

LordEntrails
May 30th, 2020, 21:48
I don't care to argue with you. I appreciate your efforts, but I don't agree with all your views. I do hope im131mm replies so that you can continue to improve your interface. I don't see the issue as either/or, but rather as many dimensional with an infinite variety of values along every axis. In short, their is no right or wrong, only different for different people.