PDA

View Full Version : Text input very unintuitive

LillySprout
May 27th, 2020, 04:16
See
https://i.imgur.com/jxB3bsJ.png

I literally spent 30 seconds trying to click the 'Name' bar, because it's the element that actually looks like a task box. It didn't help that for some reason text entry fields have an 'open hand' mouse cursor, instead of the 'I beam' pointer that is standard for text entry fields in... pretty much literally every graphic UI in the past 30 years

LordEntrails
May 27th, 2020, 04:48
Welcome to the forums!

FG does have some unusual UI behavior. You'll pick it up soon enough but if you have questions for us, just ask.

ddavison
May 27th, 2020, 14:47
The open hand often indicates a field is draggable to do something. Dragging a class or race to those fields performs some automated character building, for instance.

c00ky1970
May 27th, 2020, 14:58
See
https://i.imgur.com/jxB3bsJ.png

I literally spent 30 seconds trying to click the 'Name' bar, because it's the element that actually looks like a task box.

Me Too! Its a pity they cant have a flashing curser blink in the line where you need to enter text, or its starts blinking (ala word etc) when you actually click on the line.

Neovirtus
May 27th, 2020, 15:37
Yes, the UI is strange at times. This particular quirk is something that has tripped up every single one of the 15 or so people I have introduced to the software. You are not alone.

LillySprout
May 27th, 2020, 20:28
This is my other complaint, yeah! I've never seen a blinking cursor, and it seems about 50/50 if any given text field even has a cursor at all, smaller ones have zero indication that I've been able to see that you're able to type in them.

In response to the 'draggable' comment, the field in question was my character name, from a UI perspective it seems very odd that communicating that I can drag my character name is more important than communicating that I'm mousing over a field I can type in.

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2020, 20:48
I think this is probably a bug in Unity at the moment. If you have nothing in the name field then clicking on it does not currently show a cursor. If there is something in the name field then you do get a cursor when you click on it. This is true of all of the fields I think at the moment.

pindercarl
May 27th, 2020, 20:55
I think this is probably a bug in Unity at the moment. If you have nothing in the name field then clicking on it does not currently show a cursor. If there is something in the name field then you do get a cursor when you click on it. This is true of all of the fields I think at the moment.

This is currently being tracked as FGU-1084.

Zacchaeus
May 27th, 2020, 21:48
This is currently being tracked as FGU-1084.

I can't keep track of everything :)