PDA

View Full Version : Using FATE/FUDGE dice in FG?

Guybow
April 4th, 2007, 20:11
Hi!

I'm curious if anyone's done any work with using the FATE / FUDGE RPG dice setup?

They use a D6 cube, but they user +, - or <blank> to determine the roll results.

While it's true it's not necessary into order to use FG with FATE / FUDGE, I was wondering if anyone's already a couple steps ahead of me?

Thanks!

Salar
April 20th, 2007, 20:45
Hi all, sorry to necro this one, but after a long hiatus, I'm back. And just in time for FG2 by the look of it. The reason for dragging this thread back from the dead was that it's a question I've got as well, especially with Spirit of the Century out and the Dresden Files coming soon. Both utilise FATE and thus Df.
john

richvalle
April 20th, 2007, 21:52
I think this will be somewhat easy to do in FG2.

rv

Dementia Five
May 24th, 2007, 17:56
So how do you do it? :)

richvalle
May 24th, 2007, 21:17
Easy for other people to figure out... :)

rv

Kalan
May 25th, 2007, 06:50
Unfortunately two of the people who really know their stuff on FGII programming are on holidays this week ;) Lucky blokes ;)

But to get a rough idea on how its done - joshuah has posted a number of times on modifying LUA scripts for custom dice...

Sigurd
February 27th, 2009, 18:53
Dresden is coming eventually and I'd like to be able to use fudge dice.

For those unfamiliar, fudge dice can be approximated by d6s. 1-2 show up as a "-", 3-4 has no affect and no symbol, and 5-6 is a "+". So 4 fudge die roll might look look like "+, ,-,-" for a total of -1. On the six siders this might look like "5,3,2,1".

If you have a lot of rolls I think this might be very tyring to work out.

I imagine each roll could be a d3-2 though.

Has anyone got a ruleset or extension or.... with this sorted out?

Sigurd

Foen
February 27th, 2009, 22:06
I think it would be relatively straight-forward to do this if you were happy with -1,0,+1, so your example was +1,0,-1,-1 and it could be totalled to read -1.

If you want to just show -,,+ and have your example show +,,-,- then it would be quite difficult to implement as an extension (IMHO).

The easier version just implements a custom die:

<customdie name="f3">
<model>d6</model>
<menuicon>customdice</menuicon>
<script>
function onValue(result)
return math.ceil(result/2)-2;
end
</script>
</customdie>

Then invoke this from within FG using 5f3 (for five fudge dice).

Cheers

Foen

Sigurd
February 28th, 2009, 09:08
Thanks Foen!

I have to say I haven't really looked at it carefully but if that would work for fudge dice...

If the graphic showed a D6 you could still double check the roll and you wouldn't have to keep doing things in your head.

Sigurd

Can anyone who uses fudge dice (fd) confirm that this would work?

Doswelk
March 1st, 2009, 19:51
I would imagine you could add the fudge die as a custom die under the d6 if you did not want to type it all the time...

Valarian
March 1st, 2009, 22:46
Details were posted in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showpost.php?p=59981&postcount=14). It's basically as Foen said above.
You use the FATE dice by the /die command (e.g. /die 4dF) or as custom dice from the d6 menu.
One comment, the custom die has to start with a "d", IIRC.

[Edit]
Attached a zip file containing the custom die as an extension for any ruleset.

Foen
March 2nd, 2009, 06:13
One comment, the custom die has to start with a "d", IIRC.

I have used 'm' dice for minus numbers. The FG engine can't handle 2d6-1d4 but it can handle 2d6+1m4.

Negative dice (named with 'm') are used in the Call of Cthulhu ruleset.

Foen

Valarian
March 2nd, 2009, 13:32
My bad ... don't know where I got this in to my head from.