PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Licenses, same computer OR running from USB

SiliconScout
May 23rd, 2020, 06:08
Hey all.

So I have an Ultimate License, by daughter will be running a Demo one.

When we run the game I will be running it from my laptop and she will be playing on the PC. That being said I would like to build on the PC when she's not around because it's screen is much larger and it's a PITA to be swapping monitor cables around.

My plan was to keep the campaign data on a thumbdrive and synch between the 2 systems and that thumbdrive and that seems to work fine. The issue is that she needs to run off a different license when we are going to play the game. She has a separate account on the computer but installing it under her account and under mine didn't actually provide two instances. Right now I see her install folders and license under my windows account. If I change these then she sees MY account info when she's logged in. I should mention I am running windows 10 Pro.

So my question is

Is it possible to have 2 separate instances? and if so how?
If it's not possible, is it possible to run the program off a USB key and what is involved with that. I am thinking it might just need to have a reg key that I load for them and then for me depending on what license I want it to use but I am not sure that is correct.

I have tried searching here and I am not finding much that helps me with this specific problem.

Thanks

LordEntrails
May 23rd, 2020, 07:00
I believe the license key and user credentials are stored in the registry. I assume it's not in user specific registry keys, but have never tested.

In short, I don't know the answer to either of your questions. Sorry :(

viviolay
May 23rd, 2020, 08:35
Idk if this is an desirable option for you as it’s a different solution than what I think you’re trying to do- but I bought two licenses for FG (one standard and one ultimate) and my bf and I use both under the same username to play. We are in the same household and my standard license is able to connect to my ultimate license for play. It also means all my books and materials purchased are on both computers.

I work on my campaign on either computer available and just drop the campaign file into my OneDrive and then switch to a different computer, download it, and update my campaign file on a different computer. I don’t directly have them sync cause it’s been warned this can lead to corruption.

It’s not the exact solution you’re seeking but it is a solution that’ll let both you prep and her play using the PC and you’ll have access to all your materials. You can transfer just the campaign file between computers on the thumb drive

See this thread for what ddavison said (and your options) on in household use and licenses/username. I do this method since he said in same household/family was okay in this thread

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?42751-Mutliple-Licences-amp-Instances-of-Fantasy-Grounds