PDA

View Full Version : How to Play Test Module/Adventure as GM and PC?

mrengine
May 22nd, 2020, 06:28
I apologize for what might seem a odd question...I want to run a PF1e module in FGU and playtest a few parts playing as both GM and PC to learn and work though the mechanics of both the PF rules and how to use Fantasy Grounds. I have the standard license of FGU and FGC.

I saw a video on Fantasy Grounds College's youtube channel that showed a GM doing just that I think unless I missed something. Running the campaign as the GM but being able to switch over to a PC at will and play both sides, presumably on a single license of FG.

Would someone who knows much more than me be able to help guide me?

Kolimar
May 22nd, 2020, 07:02
Didn't he launched FGC/FGU twice ?

Honken
May 22nd, 2020, 07:29
Yes, you can connect to yourself. I know that in FGC, you just write localhost in the adress field. I do this quite often. It is a good way to see how your player are gonna see it. I think it is similar with FGU.

/H

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2020, 08:21
As mentioned - start a GM instance, if FGU start as a "LAN" server type.

Then launch another instance of FG and Join Game/Join Campaign with a server address/Join By IP and Port of localhost

Dionigi
February 4th, 2021, 03:07
just comes up with license key conflict. Cannot have two instances of Fantasy grounds on one computer so that doesn't work either

LordEntrails
February 4th, 2021, 04:06
just comes up with license key conflict. Cannot have two instances of Fantasy grounds on one computer so that doesn't work either
Connect to your campaign with "localhost" in the IP address. Works all the time, lots of us do it on a daily basis. Can post screen shots if you give us details of your setup.

Nylanfs
February 4th, 2021, 12:14

Welcome to the forums and FG community!

Dionigi
February 5th, 2021, 07:35
using two computers joined by wifi does not seem to find "localhost". How are they doing it on the videos where they appear to have two instances on the same computer but on two screens where they can drag them back and forth?

El Condoro
February 5th, 2021, 08:30
Makes ure that whatever link you use to start FGU is pointing to fantasygrounds.exe and not the updater. I had this problem a while back and that was the issue.

Moon Wizard
February 5th, 2021, 08:30
To join using “localhost”, you have to many running both instances of Fantasy Grounds on the same machine. (Ie start FG twice; once to Load Campaign, and the other to Join Campaign at localhost) (localhost is network shorthand for “this machine”)

If you want to connect from another machine on the same WiFi network, you should use the Cloud option option in FGU (requires two accounts); or use the internal IP address for FGC.

Regards,
JPG

Trenloe
February 5th, 2021, 09:33
using two computers joined by wifi does not seem to find "localhost". How are they doing it on the videos where they appear to have two instances on the same computer but on two screens where they can drag them back and forth?
As mentioned, "localhost" will only work on the same computer - as it's connecting to the "local" host - the GM instance, with local being the same computer.

Just start FG and load the campaign, then start another instance of FG on the same computer - right-click on the running FG in the computer taskbar and select Fantasy Grounds (or Fantasy Grounds Unity) to start another instance.

Dionigi
February 5th, 2021, 10:27
Thanks for that now I can play test.