PDA

View Full Version : Lines and measurements

ApesAmongUs
May 22nd, 2020, 04:04
I'm having 2 problems with using lines to measure distance and I'm wondering if there is a work around.

1. The line is a pointer which for some reason it placed below the player tokens. That's slightly annoying when I want to move a circle AoE and can't click on it, but worse when I want to measure token movement in a generally southern direction and the measurement on the start of the line is underneath the unit. If there a way to place the pointer objects on top?

2. The line won't measure at all unless I have grid turned on. I get that the size of the grid is used to set the scale for the measure tool, so it's necessary to a degree. But is there a way to create the grid to set the scale and then make it not visible?

Moon Wizard
May 22nd, 2020, 06:59
Here are some answers to your questions.

1. Tokens have priority over pointers for dragging by design. To move a pointer start point that is under a token, you'll need to move the token first.

2. In FG Classic, there is no way to specify distance without defining a grid. In FG Unity, there is always an implied grid for measurement, and the grid can be colored and visibly be turned on/off.

Regards,
JPG

ApesAmongUs
May 22nd, 2020, 11:56
Wow, this is the fastest I've ever experienced buyers remorse. Guess this is $100 down the crapper.

Hurske
May 22nd, 2020, 13:27
Whenever I need to measure something, I always just draw the line in the space next to the token, or I can lock tokens and just use token movement, which starts the line in the center, which also allows measurement with different angles.

ApesAmongUs
May 22nd, 2020, 15:38
or I can lock tokens and just use token movement, which starts the line in the center, which also allows measurement with different angles.
That works fine for player controlled characters, but I haven't found a way to make that work for GM controlled characters. Is there a special lock+ option somewhere?

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2020, 15:46
...but I haven't found a way to make that work for GM controlled characters. Is there a special lock+ option somewhere?
With tokens locked press CTRL and click-drag for the GM to see token movement lines.

Info here: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Tokens#Movement

ApesAmongUs
May 22nd, 2020, 16:46
Thank you, that does work nicely.

Moon Wizard
May 22nd, 2020, 22:28
Also, if you decide that Fantasy Grounds doesn't do what you need, we have a 30-day no questions refund policy for all purchases on the FG web store.

Regards,
JPG