PDA

View Full Version : Better Menus (CoreRPG, 5E/etc)

Pages : [1] 2

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 03:37
This runs under FGC/FGU with CoreRPG 3.3.12+.

Note: This does not work with Savage Worlds ruleset.

If you're having issues with extension please read this post first on making sure you have correct extension installed (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?72434-Advanced-Effects-Alternative&p=638439&viewfull=1#post638439).

This replaces the SIDEBAR with a Menu button system.

The menu buttons add new features such as the "Books" (quick access to any module loaded with reference manual) and direct access to modules listing.

This also allows you to "unlock" the portraits and move them to somewhere more convenient and the Dice Tower will be on top of the "desktop view" map.

This is something I finished up for the AD&D 2E ruleset and I decided to extract it and put it into an extension so that other rulesets could make use. I've tested this with CoreRPG and 5E. It should work with "anything" that is properly layered on CoreRPG (except the AD&D 2E ruleset which has this natively with a few other features).

Here is a quick view of what you can do with it. Grab it and try it out.

https://i.imgur.com/xWMEtVL.gif

Developers can use the hooks within the extension to add their own custom menus not found in the standard methods. You can find details in this post (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=574918&viewfull=1#post574918).

Current source can be found in the GitLab repository (https://gitlab.com/FGProjects/public/extensions/bettermenus).

If you run into issues running this please state the ruleset.

Unfortunately I am unable to resolve issues related to other extensions and compatibility with Better Menus. The community is wide and varied and there are just to many. The best I can do with the time I have is to keep the extensions working with CoreRPG and rulesets that layer on that without drastic overrides of CoreRPG systems. However, if someone that is interested in that particular issue is willing to research the other extension and find a solution and submit I'll be happy to try and implement it.

Update 1.22:

[Updated] Changed "Preferences" menu to "Options" to match the actual window it opens

You can download and install using the forge link. (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/69/view) You can send a donation (https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/69/view) to the creator if you like this tool.

ghrast
May 22nd, 2020, 03:56
Wow this extension is amazing. Great job!

msbranin
May 22nd, 2020, 04:20
Works so far with Starfinder. Love this.

viviolay
May 22nd, 2020, 04:47
This is so awesome. Can’t wait to give this a whirl in game. I have players constantly worrying about window space on smaller laptops.
This will make a big difference for them

Trenloe
May 22nd, 2020, 08:25
This is very cool. But maybe the title should be "different" menus or "dropdown" menus or similar. "Better" is purely subjective... :)

viresanimi
May 22nd, 2020, 08:42
This is very cool. But maybe the title should be "different" menus or "dropdown" menus or similar. "Better" is purely subjective...

I couldn't agree more.

Magnimost
May 22nd, 2020, 11:56
This is indeed better menus, please keep the name. Screen real estate is at a premium in FG, and the right menu takes so much space this is a much better solution.

Can't wait to see this in FGU!

james10872
May 22nd, 2020, 12:35
Cool extension. Will be giving this a try with my group and see how everyone likes it.

Found 2 issues with a bit of toying around. First, if you have a long list of modules loaded then they go off the bottom of the screen. Would be nice if it would scroll through in those cases. Second, there is a conflict with FGTabber extension. Not the end of the world, but they are the 2 extensions I know of that really give you some extra real estate. Neither of these issues will keep me from giving this a try in my next couple sessions. Thanks for doing the work and sharing the results!

Edit: Running 5e

SirMotte
May 22nd, 2020, 13:27
Incredible! Can't wait until FGU is compatible! Thank you very much for sharing!

vaughnlannister
May 22nd, 2020, 14:16
That looks really nice Celestial, hope to see it in Unity soon :)!

damned
May 22nd, 2020, 14:24
Cool extension. Will be giving this a try with my group and see how everyone likes it.

Found 2 issues with a bit of toying around. First, if you have a long list of modules loaded then they go off the bottom of the screen. Would be nice if it would scroll through in those cases. Second, there is a conflict with FGTabber extension. Not the end of the world, but they are the 2 extensions I know of that really give you some extra real estate. Neither of these issues will keep me from giving this a try in my next couple sessions. Thanks for doing the work and sharing the results!

If your list of modules goes off the screen Im betting that you will have far more serious issues sooner or later....

james10872
May 22nd, 2020, 14:40
If your list of modules goes off the screen Im betting that you will have far more serious issues sooner or later....

My list I generally run with was close to that point so I added a few more to see how the extension handled it. I have found that with my group as long as I don't keep adding and removing a bunch of modules we're good. But I do understand that different groups can have issues with this.

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 14:49
This is very cool. But maybe the title should be "different" menus or "dropdown" menus or similar. "Better" is purely subjective... :)

The name is based on what I had created previously "OS_Standard_Menus". After a complete re-write for various features I realized that it wasn't an OS menu but they were better than my previous work and thats what I went with. It has nothing to do with anything other than that.

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 14:54

I'm curious, how many modules do you have loaded?

I did test having various means of scrolling on that menu just incase someone had a really tiny screen... the short version is: I'd basically have to set a "cap" of the total listed and anything after that would scroll.

There is no real easy way to detect if it's going down below the visible space (that I know of) and then triggering it to scroll.

james10872
May 22nd, 2020, 15:15
I'm curious, how many modules do you have loaded?

Around 50. A bunch of the Rob2e mods for item, spell and ability coding. Several mods with a handful (50 or less) magic items. The large ones are the monster books. So on and so forth. I know very little about coding, but maybe if you forced it into 2 columns. The first being #'s to G and the second being H to Z. Again I am speaking of things that I have no idea about, so pardon my suggestions if I speak of impossibilities.

Anyways thanks for the sweet extension. I will be using it regardless. May just have to thin out my default loaded modules.

Guzalot
May 22nd, 2020, 15:16
Not sure if I'll use this yet or not but I'm grateful for the option. Thanks!

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 17:52
Around 50. A bunch of the Rob2e mods for item, spell and ability coding. Several mods with a handful (50 or less) magic items. The large ones are the monster books. So on and so forth. I know very little about coding, but maybe if you forced it into 2 columns. The first being #'s to G and the second being H to Z. Again I am speaking of things that I have no idea about, so pardon my suggestions if I speak of impossibilities.

Anyways thanks for the sweet extension. I will be using it regardless. May just have to thin out my default loaded modules.

I've got a update that'll probably work for you, I'll post it after day job later tonight.

james10872
May 22nd, 2020, 18:33
I've got a update that'll probably work for you, I'll post it after day job lets tonight.

Awesome. I'll keep an eye out and give it a whirl tonight or tomorrow.

Sudain
May 22nd, 2020, 19:23
Drool. Thank you for this, the size of the sidebar is quickly becoming an issue, so this helps. :)

Does this affect just the DM or DM and players?

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 19:24
Drool. Thank you for this, the size of the sidebar is quickly becoming an issue, so this helps. :)

Does this affect just the DM or DM and players?

DM and Players.

frobnic8
May 22nd, 2020, 21:50
Thank you so much for this! I need all the screen I can use, and so do my players!

Unfortunately for me, with the Savage Worlds ruleset I get the following error:

"Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)"

...and no books are displayed. I'd love to see this work for this ruleset, if I can help in any way.

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 22:03
Thank you so much for this! I need all the screen I can use, and so do my players!

Unfortunately for me, with the Savage Worlds ruleset I get the following error:

"Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)"

...and no books are displayed. I'd love to see this work for this ruleset, if I can help in any way.

I've had other issues related to this ruleset with another extension as it's still a work in progress related to CoreRPG layering.

Looks like the ruleset is linking to the sidebar panel which is removed with this extension.

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 22:51

Here is the updated version. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. If so I'll update the first post with it.

viviolay
May 23rd, 2020, 00:55

I just have to say how shockingly refreshingly spacious and much more modern FG looks without a constant sidebar. I love this so much. Thank you thank you thank you.

james10872
May 23rd, 2020, 02:17
Here is the updated version. Give it a shot and see if it works for you. If so I'll update the first post with it.

Got it downloaded. I will give it a try first thing tomorrow. Have some of my players working on stuff right now. Thanks for jumping on this so quick, really appreciate it.

Tyrannosaurus VeX
May 23rd, 2020, 02:25
I like this Celestian.

I have a few suggestions after using this for just a few minutes. Not sure if they're possible, but maybe!

* It does appear that your extension and Kent's "Minimized Sidebar Icons" work together well in the 5e Ruleset. You guys might want to collaborate a bit and make those two extensions into one extension that works in all the CoreRPG rulesets!
* Settings for menu size ... I play on a large monitor (actually a 60" tv) and your menus are pretty tiny. If possible, I'd love a larger size menu, but not a big deal.
* I'd love to be able to "add" certain buttons from the menus as additional buttons along the menu ... like "Add Library" and there is a Library button right next to the Books menu. Or right click on Calendar and "Add Calendar button" and Calendar button shows up.

celestian
May 23rd, 2020, 02:45
I like this Celestian.

I have a few suggestions after using this for just a few minutes. Not sure if they're possible, but maybe!

* It does appear that your extension and Kent's "Minimized Sidebar Icons" work together well in the 5e Ruleset. You guys might want to collaborate a bit and make those two extensions into one extension that works in all the CoreRPG rulesets!
* Settings for menu size ... I play on a large monitor (actually a 60" tv) and your menus are pretty tiny. If possible, I'd love a larger size menu, but not a big deal.
* I'd love to be able to "add" certain buttons from the menus as additional buttons along the menu ... like "Add Library" and there is a Library button right next to the Books menu. Or right click on Calendar and "Add Calendar button" and Calendar button shows up.

I just realized the Calendar "button" is not there... I'll get that added but what do you mean "Add Library" ? That button is there.

For what it's worth if there is a custom window/menu you'd like to load there is the MenuManager that is part of the extension that you can write your own extension to use.

MenuManager.addMenuItem("moduleselection", "", "sidebar_tooltip_moduleselection");

It's actually the same thing I use to load the "Modules" list menu directly. The documentation (such that it is) is in the manager_menu.lua in the extension.

--[[
This will add a custom menu/window item to the Menu button.

sRecord The window class
sPath The database node associated with this window (if any)
sToolTip The tooltip string record, Interface.getString(sTooltip); Displayed when someone hovers over the menu selection
sButtonCustomText The text used as the name for the menu. If doesn't exist will look for "library_recordtype_label_" .. sRecord
]]
function addMenuItem(sRecord, sPath, sToolTip, sButtonCustomText)

Beemanpat
May 23rd, 2020, 04:55
celestian, you knocked out of the park with this one. this is great. so glad to free up the right side of my screen and the reference books are awesome. If the buttons/font could be just a tad bigger(one of my players is hard at seeing) this would be great. Thank you for this.

Sgain
May 23rd, 2020, 05:05
any chance we can see this for FGU sometime soon?

damned
May 23rd, 2020, 05:23

please see post #1

celestian
May 23rd, 2020, 05:24

Until FGU has feature parity with FGC it will not function IN FGU (FGU is missing a minimize API call).

Not up to me, have to wait for FGU API functionality.

Thunderhead
May 23rd, 2020, 07:20
Until FGU has feature parity with FGC it will not function IN FGU (FGU is missing a minimize API call).

Not up to me, have to wait for FGU API functionality.

Thanks celestian! This looks incredible. Can't wait for SmiteWorks to give you the API so you can create the Unity edition.

james10872
May 23rd, 2020, 11:12

Works great. Thanks again for the quick fix.

Edit: Found an issue. The drop down list is missing items that are loaded.

Only 1 of the Encyclopedia Arcanas is there and there are other missing items. Monster Manual Expanded, Encounters of the Savage Frontiers, etc. I can't see any clear connection between them. The scroll works great though!!

mattekure
May 23rd, 2020, 15:50
Would it be possible to add an option so that you can choose to have them "drop up" instead of "drop down". so if you wanted to put it beneath the chat and above the dice, it would open up instead of down?

celestian
May 23rd, 2020, 21:18
Works great. Thanks again for the quick fix.

Edit: Found an issue. The drop down list is missing items that are loaded.

Only 1 of the Encyclopedia Arcanas is there and there are other missing items. Monster Manual Expanded, Encounters of the Savage Frontiers, etc. I can't see any clear connection between them. The scroll works great though!!

So, im not familiar with any of those products but... I can tell you how the Books list works, if the module has a reference manual and a chapter entry then it should add it to the list.

My first guess would be the others do not have reference manuals in them. Or ones that do not "chapters" ?

If thats not the case I'll see about added a debug mode so you can open the console and start the campaign and have a log to show me.

celestian
May 23rd, 2020, 21:20
Would it be possible to add an option so that you can choose to have them "drop up" instead of "drop down". so if you wanted to put it beneath the chat and above the dice, it would open up instead of down?

I've actually been trying to do this automatically based on various checks but not being able to detect the edge of the screen as been a big blocker.

I'll see what I can come up with for a manual solution.

james10872
May 23rd, 2020, 21:29
So, im not familiar with any of those products but... I can tell you how the Books list works, if the module has a reference manual and a chapter entry then it should add it to the list.

My first guess would be the others do not have reference manuals in them. Or ones that do not "chapters" ?

If thats not the case I'll see about added a debug mode so you can open the console and start the campaign and have a log to show me.

Looks like that was spot on. The ones I checked had no 'reference manual'.

celestian
May 24th, 2020, 00:22
See first post for Download link.

Update 1.4:

If you have more than 20 "Book" entries it will now have a scroll bar.
Fixed error related to hooks for adding custom menus into the Menu list.

If you're a dev and have added your own menu entries, this will work for you now ;)

phillgamboa
May 24th, 2020, 04:06
Fantastic, thanks thanks thanks

Dr0W
May 24th, 2020, 04:56
Thanks a lot Celestian!

Edit: Nevermind, only now I saw it doesn't work with SWADE. :(

celestian
May 24th, 2020, 05:41
Thanks a lot Celestian!

Edit: Nevermind, only now I saw it doesn't work with SWADE. :(

Unfortunately he has some dependency built into the sidebar which is removed with this extension.

Zeruel_Kagenie
May 24th, 2020, 09:10
It looks great and the Books feature is very useful. However, it is a shame that it is incompatible with FGTabber (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51659-FGTabber-More-space-for-your-FG-client), which adds tabs to FGC or FGU; Which adds a lot to the workspace.

Could both extensions be compatible, at least for now in FGC? Currently so many errors occur when moving the menu button system or portraits.

Dr0W
May 24th, 2020, 17:27
Unfortunately he has some dependency built into the sidebar which is removed with this extension.

Yea, but honestly I found out that it works. Except for the Books, and some errors here and there, most of if is working quite well.

celestian
May 24th, 2020, 18:40
It looks great and the Books feature is very useful. However, it is a shame that it is incompatible with FGTabber (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51659-FGTabber-More-space-for-your-FG-client), which adds tabs to FGC or FGU; Which adds a lot to the workspace.

Could both extensions be compatible, at least for now in FGC? Currently so many errors occur when moving the menu button system or portraits.

I've no experience with Tabber and have only looked over the posts and images there so can't speak to if it can be made compatible. If he is manipulating panels then there is absolutely going to be some collisions, particularly with the portraits, dicetower and sidebar.

StoryWeaver
May 25th, 2020, 20:31
Finally! That looks fantastic and modern.
I'll be holding my breath until the minimize API is available in FGU so I can start using it.

The perfect setup would be this + FG Tabber + /scaleui 90 (with font size increase option) + FG full screen + the map covering the whole background while still being able to use the interface parts.

This should so be part of the core!

greghladunleblanc
May 26th, 2020, 01:23
Am I crazy. I am unable to see a link in the first post for the updated 1.4 version. just the link to the source?

damned
May 26th, 2020, 01:34
welcome greghladunleblanc

See bottom left hand corner of page - change theme to FG responsive

mordkhaan
May 26th, 2020, 02:17
Great extension, only problem I have is that I am also running this extension
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP
I find that the menu entry is not being added for it under Menus?
it normally adds a Dice button at the top right where you find the combat tracker etc

Beemanpat
May 26th, 2020, 02:30
Celestian has reached to that extenion dev. Dont know if they are working on it. A temporary work around is to launch without better menus selected. Drag the roll for intaitive button to your hot button at bottom of screen. Relaunch with with better menus selected. Roll for intaitive won't be in the list but you will have access at hot button.

I believe if you clear cache you will need to repeat this process. Hope its fixed soon. But this a work around.

mattekure
May 26th, 2020, 02:32
Great extension, only problem I have is that I am also running this extension
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP
I find that the menu entry is not being added for it under Menus?
it normally adds a Dice button at the top right where you find the combat tracker etc

This is very easy to fix. If you extract the files, look for the rfi.lua file in the scripts directory. Add the following code.

if MenuManager then
MenuManager.addMenuItem(windowName, "", "tooltipTextKey", "RFI");
end

The resulting function should look like this.

https://imgur.com/JRQQY34.jpg

Beemanpat
May 26th, 2020, 02:39
Thank you mattekure I will try that. May be awhile before I can though.

mordkhaan
May 26th, 2020, 02:47
easy workaround for sure!
Also thanks @mattekure will also have a nosy at that perhaps

mordkhaan
May 26th, 2020, 03:01
Legend, all sorted!

celestian
May 29th, 2020, 23:07
Update 1.5:

Added "Setup" menu selection from "Menus".

matcler
June 2nd, 2020, 15:28
Love this extension but I can't manage to make it work with Request for Roll extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP), is there any workaround to make it work?
Thank you for your work!

mattekure
June 2nd, 2020, 17:39
Love this extension but I can't manage to make it work with Request for Roll extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP), is there any workaround to make it work?
Thank you for your work!

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=513456&viewfull=1#post513456

matcler
June 2nd, 2020, 18:22
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-better-menus-(corerpg-5e-etc)&p=513456&viewfull=1#post513456

thx!

StoryWeaver
June 7th, 2020, 16:33
I noticed that the window minimize feature was added into FGU on the 5th.

Now I don't know if that comes with the API's that you would need for this extension to work in FGU, but simply keenly inquiring all the same to see if you had any plans for a FGU release now due to these changes. :)

celestian
June 7th, 2020, 17:45
I noticed that the window minimize feature was added into FGU on the 5th.

Now I don't know if that comes with the API's that you would need for this extension to work in FGU, but simply keenly inquiring all the same to see if you had any plans for a FGU release now due to these changes. :)

I did poke at it to see if everything was there yet and when I enabled things this is what I saw.

https://i.imgur.com/1aBmKH5.png

I had a game shortly after experimenting so didn't dig much deeper but... why it's doing that I've no clue and suspect it's either some missing other feature or a different behavior in FGU to FGC. The little black square is suppose to be a drop down menu with list of selections. You can actually click on it and randomly get one of them to activate. It appears that the toggleWindow() doesn't restore the window to it's proper size.

I'll tinker with some more but right now it's still not working right and not sure it will just yet, FGU might need a bit more baking time.

edit: I have reported the issues to Smiteworks, no word yet.

StoryWeaver
June 7th, 2020, 19:37
Totally get it, I come up against missing or strangely working things compared to FGC once in a while as I try to work something out in the code. FGU is great but needs more time to polish.
I'll be keeping an eye out for this extension for when it starts working there.

Such a fan of this extension that I found myself firing up FGC again to be able to use it. As even the 5E Enhancer works for the most parts there as well, along with the currently better performance when maneuvering the interface and menu items during games along with coming back from alt-tabbing away to read a pdf or a web browser.
I find myself torn between clients for games that don't require dynamic lighting or some of the new FGU features.

This extension creates so much extra space on the screen for the important things during games and cleans up the GUI so nicely that it's hard to go back to not using it after having tried it.
The books section is such a great feature as well, cleans up so much of my quick bar at the bottom of links as well.

grimmlock
June 8th, 2020, 15:45
If I have this extension enabled for a campaign, and then a player tries to use "Manage Characters" after connecting to my campaign and leaving, the sidebar remains gone, there are no drop downs, and they have no way of doing any sort of Character Management.

celestian
June 8th, 2020, 16:44
Update 1.6:

Added "options" to toggle menu/sidebar (with reload).

https://i.imgur.com/t9VYSLf.gif

In this scenario the DM is using sidebar and the player is using Menu buttons.
https://i.imgur.com/3Wt99P8.png

celestian
June 8th, 2020, 18:28
If I have this extension enabled for a campaign, and then a player tries to use "Manage Characters" after connecting to my campaign and leaving, the sidebar remains gone, there are no drop downs, and they have no way of doing any sort of Character Management.

Disable the extension when using Character Management. I've no plans to make it work in that mode since it's going away in FGU.

grimmlock
June 8th, 2020, 18:35
Disable the extension when using Character Management. I've no plans to make it work in that mode since it's going away in FGU.

Oh, yeah, totally understand, and really not looking for it to even work there. I have a player who is very vociferous about his ability to manage his character without the game running, and I really like what this extension does, so I guess the question then becomes, is it even possible for a player in a game to disable an extension that is in use in my game when they are using the Character Manager? Or will I just need to tell them, "Make sure that you go into Preferences and set Menu Style to Sidebar before exiting the game if you want to be able to view your character, and then when you rejoin the game, you'll have to set it back to be Menus then exit and come back in"?

celestian
June 8th, 2020, 18:42
Oh, yeah, totally understand, and really not looking for it to even work there. I have a player who is very vociferous about his ability to manage his character without the game running, and I really like what this extension does, so I guess the question then becomes, is it even possible for a player in a game to disable an extension that is in use in my game when they are using the Character Manager? Or will I just need to tell them, "Make sure that you go into Preferences and set Menu Style to Sidebar before exiting the game if you want to be able to view your character, and then when you rejoin the game, you'll have to set it back to be Menus then exit and come back in"?

In the latest version of the extension (1.6) I added a /preferences option that will pull up the Campaign Settings/Prefs menu. I did this just incase the menu button system broke. This would allow someone to toggle which menu to use. (/options and /settings will do the same).

Other than that, I dunno. I've not used the character management system for about 2 years because of its limitations.

grimmlock
June 8th, 2020, 18:46
In the latest version of the extension (1.6) I added a /preferences option that will pull up the Campaign Settings/Prefs menu. I did this just incase the menu button system broke. This would allow someone to toggle which menu to use. (/options and /settings will do the same).

I did not know that there was a /preferences command to open that up, and just using that allows for the turning off and going back to the sidebar from the Character Manager, so that is perfect, and exactly what I will tell them. Thank you very much for the help and for making this awesome extension.

StoryWeaver
June 9th, 2020, 15:58
The extension does not pick up the reference manuals in SWADE for the official Players and DM guides. (SWADE GM Guide, SWADE Player Guide)

My theory is that as it's in SWADE there is a different record name for the reference manuals as its written somewhat independently from the CoreRPG ruleset, and some things in SWADE tend to work differently than expected due to it. I was trying to get a fix to you, but both modules are in the Vault, so I was unable to extract and find the correct reference link names for them.

So instead of the usual:

<id-00012>
<librarylink type="windowreference">
<class>reference_manual</class>
<recordname>reference.refmanualindex</recordname>
</librarylink>
<name type="string">Reference Manual</name>
</id-00012>

There might be a different record name for the reference manuals in SWADE.
The name string is "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition" for both.

So fixing it for SWADE might require an exception along the lines of (menubutton.lua line 139):

local nodeRef = DB.findNode("reference.refmanualindex@" .. rInfo.name);
if nodeRef == nil then
nodeRef = DB.findNode("reference.specialswaderefmanualindex@" .. rInfo.name);
end

StoryWeaver
June 9th, 2020, 16:08
Just noticed that it does also create an error on start in SWADE:

Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)
Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)

I know the extension is written for Core RPG, and as far as I remember reading somewhere, SWADE isn't exactly based fully on Core RPG.
So I'd understand if you'd leave it as is. You can click away the error after boot and the menu will still work after.

celestian
June 9th, 2020, 16:10
The extension does not pick up the reference manuals in SWADE for the official Players and DM guides. (SWADE GM Guide, SWADE Player Guide)

SWADE has other issues with the extension as well due to non-CoreRPG conformity. If I didn't have to list out every other ruleset to exclude it, I would exclude SWADE from being able to load the extension because of this. It confuses people when they can use an extension with a specific ruleset but it doesn't actually work. I've had the same problem with another extension and SWADE due to the dicetower being different as well.

I'm not sure I want to open the door to building in code to work around those ruleset specific issues tho in this case (if you're right) it's a small addition. I don't own SWADE products so couldn't test and if it broke I wouldn't know it.

Have you tried your code and seen if it works?

edit Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (identitylist) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)

Yup, thats the other error. Because I remove the sidebar and SWADE has some dependency on it, that happens.

DMZeff
June 9th, 2020, 19:21
Your work is incredible. Thank you so much for contributing to the community.

StoryWeaver
June 10th, 2020, 18:42
That's quite alright, celestian, I get it. It's like opening Pandoras box trying to make sure an extension doesn't clash with any other extension or ruleset.
Unfortunately I'm unable to finalize code that might actually work, as all the SWADE material is locked away in the vault as much of the newer modules are. So no way to peek inside to see how the code could be amended to work with it.

SWADE will just have to do without this great extension. Thanks all the same though.

MicCheckOneTwo
June 24th, 2020, 01:05
Hey, thanks for this! Any plans to add Unity support soon, since they've started adding the Minimize API back into the Unity client? I fully understand the issues with supporting a beta, but figured it might be worth asking anyways.

celestian
June 24th, 2020, 07:11
Hey, thanks for this! Any plans to add Unity support soon, since they've started adding the Minimize API back into the Unity client? I fully understand the issues with supporting a beta, but figured it might be worth asking anyways.

See previous discussion.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=517078&viewfull=1#post517078

mordkhaan
June 28th, 2020, 02:50
Heya Celestian, I updated the rfi.lua file as Mattekure mentioned a while back and was all good using Better Menus 1.6 and 5e Roll for Initiative
UNTIL, I went and updated extensions and am now getting this error
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_desktop.lua"]:308: attempt to index field 'subwindow' (a nil value)
This is with only the 2 extensions in question loaded and only happens for players

Better Menus 1.6 and 5e Roll for Initiative,

spkane
June 28th, 2020, 20:36
it will not function IN FGU (FGU is missing a minimize API call).

Any idea from the Fantasy Grounds developers if the missing call is something that they are planning to add? Or is it likely not going to be supported at all?]

Never mind...

Somehow I missed this post earlier:

See previous discussion.

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=517078&viewfull=1#post517078

mordkhaan
June 30th, 2020, 02:49
Heya Celestian, I updated the rfi.lua file as Mattekure mentioned a while back and was all good using Better Menus 1.6 and 5e Roll for Initiative
Script Error: [string "scripts/manager_desktop.lua"]:308: attempt to index field 'subwindow' (a nil value)
This is with only the 2 extensions in question loaded and only happens for players

Have done further testing with empty campaign and yeah, looks to be with Better Menus somehow... :(

celestian
June 30th, 2020, 05:42

I can't speak to how the extension will work with another extension. I coded it to be a minimally invasive as I could. All I can say is it will work with CoreRPG layered rulesets only. (And some of them, SWADE, do not work because of their dependency on the sidebar).

mordkhaan
June 30th, 2020, 06:56
Hmmm, so at a guess, there was a change in something that uses the sidebar in RFI or Better Menus that is conflicting
Ok cool, now how to find what/which change as both are great to use!

Weissrolf
June 30th, 2020, 09:23
Unfortunately this extension does not show up after copying it to my Extensions folder. I tried various rulesets using FGC.

celestian
July 2nd, 2020, 17:28
Update 1.7:

Fixed issue with library button toggles when falling back to old sidebar.

Weissrolf
July 2nd, 2020, 17:47
Any idea why among all the other extensions this one does not show up in the extensions list? I even tried to create a pure CoreRPG campaign, but no dice.

https://i.imgur.com/vXMhx0g.png

celestian
July 2nd, 2020, 18:36
Any idea why among all the other extensions this one does not show up in the extensions list? I even tried to create a pure CoreRPG campaign, but no dice.

https://i.imgur.com/vXMhx0g.png

I can see it right here.

https://i.imgur.com/6NwyN8b.png

Weissrolf
July 2nd, 2020, 19:58
Oh my. It got lost in the list of "Core RPG" named extensions and I was looking for a capital "B" as in "Better". Thanks for helping the blind. Albeit having a different filename than the list name added to the confusion.

https://i.imgur.com/bY0uHga.png

deer_buster
July 3rd, 2020, 07:15
Great work Celestian! Only thing I would "want" is perhaps wider menus for long names that might be difficult to see the ending text....dynamic width if possible.

A+

deer_buster
July 3rd, 2020, 07:22
Great work Celestian! Only thing I would "want" is perhaps wider menus for long names that might be difficult to see the ending text....dynamic width if possible.

A+

Or at least a tooktip with the full name

celestian
July 3rd, 2020, 07:54
Or at least a tooktip with the full name

I should do that.

Right now dynamic width is there but since the pixel width depends on the font and the font can vary (themes, old man font size mods/etc)... and the api doesn't tell me the pixel size of each character I have to generalize... and the longer the text the more is gets off ;( The width should be enough tho for you to get a general idea unless you're just using a monstrous font size.

Weissrolf
July 3rd, 2020, 09:27
Everything seems to be working as expected. Switching back and forth as player does not affect the GM, so every player is free to choose their own style. Great implementation, thanks a lot!

Edit: Turns out I stumbled over a small inconvenience. There is a blank space between the menu headers and the open menu. When I move the mouse-pointer over said space too slowly the menu collapses/closes again. It also seems that the menu being offset to the left is a big too big, so the same thing with the mouse-pointer keeps happening quite often (click on menu header, move mouse down, hit blank space left because of the offset). I will take a look at the code if I can increase the delay before menus are closed.

Weissrolf
July 3rd, 2020, 10:16
Changing the horizontal offset helps. The vertical offset does not help so much, though, because even when the drop-down menu list overlaps the menu header the list still closes when you move the mouse down to the menu and then back up to the header again.

I did not find a delay coded in, so this would be my feature request. ;)

celestian
July 6th, 2020, 04:13
Small update.

Update 1.8:

Added tooltip to "reference manual" list of selections.

This should help those that use extensions for large fonts and the "dynamic" width isn't giving you enough to know what the link is for.

LordEntrails
July 6th, 2020, 17:18
@Celestian,
I am starting to ask all community developers to consider making an explicit licensing statement on their work. It helps future community developers honor your wishes in regards to your work. Their is a discussion and some suggested licensing statements here; On Licensing & Distributing Community Content (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53781-On-Licensing-Distribution-of-Community-Content). Thanks for your contribution and for considering adding a licensing statement to your original post :)

deer_buster
July 6th, 2020, 18:23
Small update.

Update 1.8:

Added tooltip to "reference manual" list of selections.

This should help those that use extensions for large fonts and the "dynamic" width isn't giving you enough to know what the link is for.

Thanks, but can you also add it for "Records", or just widen it a bit?

grimmlock
July 6th, 2020, 18:32
Disregard. I wasn't thinking properly about how "Books" works.

celestian
July 6th, 2020, 21:39
Thanks, but can you also add it for "Records", or just widen it a bit?

Records are pretty narrow as is and the drop-down has space to spare normally. Are you using an extension that makes the font size really big? Show me a SS?

There really isn't a way to fix this properly until the API has some way to measure character size dynamically. Currently the "dynamic" width is generated based on the default font size as best I can.

deer_buster
July 6th, 2020, 22:09
Yours is the only one...

celestian
July 6th, 2020, 22:19
Yours is the only one...

Starfinder must use a large font.

https://i.imgur.com/VxD9o6k.png

Perhaps I just need to force using a specific font and size. I'll look into it but it'll be a week+ out before I get to looking.

deer_buster
July 7th, 2020, 00:42
Starfinder must use a large font.

https://i.imgur.com/VxD9o6k.png

Perhaps I just need to force using a specific font and size. I'll look into it but it'll be a week+ out before I get to looking.

Yeah, that would probably be the smart call, that way you know what the font size is and don't have to worry about incompatibilities.

BronzeDodger
July 16th, 2020, 22:44
mordkhaan: curious if you've had any luck narrowing down the '308' script error. I got a friend of mine who speaks passable 'code-ese' to take a look but he doesn't know the language well enough; the pure-guess is that something Better Menus hides gets called by the RFI add-on - and if we could comment-out that piece of it in RFI we might bring it back to life. So we're flipping a coin between screen real-estate and the die-roller for now.

mordkhaan
July 16th, 2020, 23:06
mordkhaan: curious if you've had any luck narrowing down the '308' script error. I got a friend of mine who speaks passable 'code-ese' to take a look but he doesn't know the language well enough; the pure-guess is that something Better Menus hides gets called by the RFI add-on - and if we could comment-out that piece of it in RFI we might bring it back to life. So we're flipping a coin between screen real-estate and the die-roller for now.

Sadly not, have made same call at this end and so far RFI won out...

Milmoor
July 19th, 2020, 18:30
It is awesome. But my players don't always appreciate changes. Would it be possible to have it default to disabled? That way they can turn it on themselves and profit, instead of me forcing it on them.

celestian
July 19th, 2020, 19:18
It is awesome. But my players don't always appreciate changes. Would it be possible to have it default to disabled? That way they can turn it on themselves and profit, instead of me forcing it on them.

They can disable it in their own settings.

Milmoor
July 19th, 2020, 20:00
They can disable it in their own settings.
That is true, but those who complain are those who are not that comfy with doing such things. I’m willing to hack my personal copy for it during updates.

celestian
July 19th, 2020, 20:48
That is true, but those who complain are those who are not that comfy with doing such things. I’m willing to hack my personal copy for it during updates.

There isn't much more I can do. Open "Preferences" and toggle Menu Style to Sidebar and reload and they are set. If that is to complex ... I'm out of ideas.

Milmoor
July 20th, 2020, 10:21
There isn't much more I can do. Open "Preferences" and toggle Menu Style to Sidebar and reload and they are set. If that is to complex ... I'm out of ideas.
It isn't complexity, it's adapting to change. I can only introduce that many changes per time period, and this one changes a lot, just when they got used to the current interface. Is it possible for me to open your extension and change the default setting to disabled?

Weissrolf
July 20th, 2020, 11:35
I just had the same situation, but I think there is an advantage of having players disable it themselves. They first see what the change is about, can do some clicks and then decide if it's good or bad. If you have players opt in who don't like change then they frankly will never even take a look at it, even if it might benefit them.

Some of my player kept the menus, because they can use the extra screen estate, some disabled it (me included for the time being).

Hattoriku
July 29th, 2020, 19:26
Just stumbled on this extension, this is such an amazing tool! Many thanks to Celestion for setting this up:D

Avalastrius
July 30th, 2020, 11:36
Better menus doesn't work for me with Roll for Initiative Extension. Can I do anything about it?

celestian
July 30th, 2020, 15:23
Better menus doesn't work for me with Roll for Initiative Extension. Can I do anything about it?

Not sure what the extension does and I can't think of why it would have any interaction with what the menu system does based on the name. Everything I used within the menu system is the least I can do to make it work so if there is something within his extension that it uses, it's probably not something I can change.

Avalastrius
July 30th, 2020, 15:41
Not sure what the extension does and I can't think of why it would have any interaction with what the menu system does based on the name. Everything I used within the menu system is the least I can do to make it work so if there is something within his extension that it uses, it's probably not something I can change.

I don’t really know. But the “roll for initiative” doesn’t appear in the drop down menu but it appears as an icon when I have sidebar.

Mytherus
July 30th, 2020, 18:52
Looking forward to try this out in 5e. I use a 35" monitor but never seems to be enough space.

Thank you for your efforts.

Mytherus
July 30th, 2020, 18:55

This is good to know as well. So individual players can disable it if they want the normal sidebar.

celestian
July 30th, 2020, 19:41
I don’t really know. But the “roll for initiative” doesn’t appear in the drop down menu but it appears as an icon when I have sidebar.

The developer of the extension will need to add the hook command to add it to the menu (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=512484&viewfull=1#post512484).

Klandare
July 30th, 2020, 22:01
The developer of the extension will need to add the hook command to add it to the menu (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=512484&viewfull=1#post512484).

Also on Page 5 #50 of this thread it shows how to update the extension yourself to get it back in your drop down menus (I use it that way).

dustem
August 4th, 2020, 08:34
Found 2 issues with a bit of toying around.

<snip>
Second, there is a conflict with FGTabber extension. Not the end of the world, but they are the 2 extensions I know of that really give you some extra real estate.
<snip>

I'm also running the 5E ruleset (on Classic) as well as on a mid-2014 MacBook Pro (using the Mac app, not the wrapper) on 10.14.6 (Mohave).

The issue is that FGTabber sits behind Better Menus which throws an error. The tabs are still there, they just have full cover. A simple solution is to unlock Better Menus and move Better Menus to the opposite side, or at least somewhere where it won't conflict with the tabs. While I realize this doesn't fix the problem, it at least removes the console errors.

I don't believe the previous poster posted the error messages, so if you're interested:

Ruleset Error: desktop: Panel (imagefullpanel) anchoring to uninitialized target panel (shortcuts)

I apologize for quoting an old post, but I recently came across this and hoped it would help to provide a bit more information and a working solution.

dustem
August 4th, 2020, 08:43
I was wrong, while that did fix that issue, now I have another one:

Script Error: [string "menulist_window"]:1: attempt to call field 'isMinimized' (a nil value)

Which causes Better Menus not to work at all anymore.

celestian
August 4th, 2020, 15:27
I was wrong, while that did fix that issue, now I have another one:

Which causes Better Menus not to work at all anymore.

I expect FGTabber does a lot of the same/similar things BM does so I am not surprised they collide.

Milmoor
August 9th, 2020, 20:53

Did my admittedly very simple hack, changed the default: row 15 of manager_menu.lua

{ labels = "option_val_sidebar", values = "sidebar", baselabel = "option_val_menus", baseval = "menus", default = "sidebar" });

This way it's opt-in instead of opt-out. Thanks for this extension, it really gives more real estate.

celestian
August 21st, 2020, 23:27
Update 1.9:

Updated FGU support added.

With the recent updates to FGU I've been able to enable FGU support. It looks like the fonts changed a little in FGU again and I've adjusted it (was super tiny previously) but let me know how it looks.

celestian
August 23rd, 2020, 00:46
Update 1.11:

Updated FGU support added.
Issue resolved for FGC related to FGU support.
Issue resolved for FGU on width of desktop mode maps.

Indus101
August 25th, 2020, 04:41
Thank you, Celestian! Works great in FGU. Awesome extension.

StoryWeaver
August 26th, 2020, 04:40
Fantastic to get this extension working with FGU!

The extension seems to be working for the most parts in SWADE as well now, besides not picking up the books.
But you can access those though the Library so there's a workaround.

Reference manuals sometimes have unique names, unlike most in DnD 5E that are called "Reference Manual".
The core SWADE Player Guide and SWADE GM Guide show the reference manual as "Savage Worlds Adventure Edition" for example in the content list for that book in the Library.

Some other books name the reference manual by the book name.

That aside besides some odd errors, like when moving the positions of menu and characters around show up. But everything still seems to work during the testing I did.

JonnyG
August 29th, 2020, 14:23
I cannot get this to work in Unity. I disabled all extensions other than it, and still get blank menu items in the upper left. When I hover over them, I get an error in the console.

celestian
August 29th, 2020, 19:12
I cannot get this to work in Unity. I disabled all extensions other than it, and still get blank menu items in the upper left. When I hover over them, I get an error in the console.

I see about 6 extensions loading in your console log. I doubt the decals are the problem but themes very easily could be.

JonnyG
August 29th, 2020, 20:16
I see about 6 extensions loading in your console log. I doubt the decals are the problem but themes very easily could be.

I didn't think it would be the decals or theme, so had left them in. I've tried without theme or any decals and get the same problem.38922

celestian
August 30th, 2020, 07:21
I didn't think it would be the decals or theme, so had left them in. I've tried without theme or any decals and get the same problem.38922

You'll need to give me step by step process on how you got to this point. Include version of extension, OS, ruleset/etc. I cannot reproduce it locally.

JonnyG
August 30th, 2020, 17:12
Below is a list of what I normally load. This campaign is a 5E campaign that has been going on for several months. Here is the flow, all with FGU.

- Started with LMOP
- Ran one off called The Haunt (middle of LMOP, as one of our players couldn't make it)
- Switched to Storm King's Thunder after LMOP.

Just created a brand new 5E campaign, with no other extensions. Same thing. So it seems unrelated to my existing campaign and extensions.

Here is the console from my ongoing campaign, with the extensions that I normally use. I'm not sure how to get the extension versions for the ones that do not log them.

[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-08-26)
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] OS: Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti : 5992
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] USER: JonnyG
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:51 AM] Daily session backup created.
[8/30/2020 11:00:51 AM] Starting private server mode. [(192.168.5.91:1802) (fe80::2152:f981:13cd:2706:1802)]
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Game server started. [2600:1700:2e28:210::21:1802]
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] NETWORK STATUS: [Server] [Connected]
[Server Type - LAN]
[8/30/2020 11:01:00 AM] MEASURE: RULESETS LOAD - 8.3548462 - 5E
[8/30/2020 11:01:02 AM] MEASURE: EXTENSIONS LOAD - 1.5997971 - 7
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LIST BUILD - 2.5359052 - 64
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH IMAGE ASSETS - 0.0727782
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH PORTRAIT ASSETS - 0.0149606
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH TOKEN ASSETS - 0.1397675
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: ASSET LIST BUILD - 0.2295002
[8/30/2020 11:01:06 AM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 1 - 14.126132
[8/30/2020 11:01:06 AM] Loaded FreeType library version 2.10.2
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 10.5162939 - Syrinscape Soundlinks
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0169561 - 5E Conditions & Effects
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.1446697 - 5E Effects Coding - Class Features
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0169526 - 5E Effects Coding - Feats
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0568402 - 5E Effects Coding - Race Traits
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.2080397 - 5E Effects Coding - Spells
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0129649 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Adventuring Gear
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.3480682 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Armor
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0149596 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Potions
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0119667 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Rings
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0069805 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Rods
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0089742 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Staffs
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0089757 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Wands
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0867679 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Weapons
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0648266 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Wondrous Items
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0079784 - 5E Race Ability Modifiers & Key Class Stats
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0090023 - 5E Racial Trait Effects
[8/30/2020 11:01:24 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 5.8915728 - D&D Storm King's Thunder
[8/30/2020 11:01:29 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 4.4791033 - D&D Dungeon Master's Guide
[8/30/2020 11:01:29 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0319142 - D&D Dungeon Master's Guide - Players
[8/30/2020 11:01:31 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.651683 - D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver
[8/30/2020 11:01:36 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 5.43597 - D&D Monster Manual
[8/30/2020 11:01:40 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 3.9945888 - D&D Player's Handbook
[8/30/2020 11:01:42 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 2.2315957 - D&D Xanathar's Guide to Everything
[8/30/2020 11:01:43 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.0439352 - D&D Xanathar's Guide to Everything - Players
[8/30/2020 11:01:44 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.0704635 - 5E SRD Bestiary
[8/30/2020 11:01:44 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0837433 - FG Battle Maps
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.6648667 - Storm Kings Thunder Complete DMs Bundle
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0468875 - Syrinscape Chat Triggers
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0658231 - The Haunt
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] RULESET: 5E ruleset v3.3.11 for Fantasy Grounds
Copyright 2019 Smiteworks USA, LLC
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] RULESET: CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.11B for Fantasy Grounds
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Miss Flavor Text - Extension v1.1\r5E version for Fantasy Grounds\r--by Kent McCullough 2020
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Theme: Simple Gray\rCopyright 2018 ll00ll00ll00ll and SmiteWorks USA LLC
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: 5E Enhancer - Skip Actor
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: 5E Enhancer - Wounds
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Extension (Decal_SKT) loaded.
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Syrinscape Online Sounds v1.12
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Weapon Handling v1.0\nExtension for Versatile and Offhand attack
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 41.088306

Klandare
August 30th, 2020, 17:23
I recently updated to the newest version of Better Menus and am running FGC. It seems that there is a conflict with the Roll for Initiative add on now. I reverted the Better Menus extension and everything works again. The RFI extension started throwing script errors anytime a roll was sent to the players.

celestian
August 30th, 2020, 21:00
Below is a list of what I normally load. This campaign is a 5E campaign that has been going on for several months. Here is the flow, all with FGU.

- Started with LMOP
- Ran one off called The Haunt (middle of LMOP, as one of our players couldn't make it)
- Switched to Storm King's Thunder after LMOP.

Just created a brand new 5E campaign, with no other extensions. Same thing. So it seems unrelated to my existing campaign and extensions.

Here is the console from my ongoing campaign, with the extensions that I normally use. I'm not sure how to get the extension versions for the ones that do not log them.

[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] FGU: v4.0.0 ULTIMATE (2020-08-26)
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] OS: Windows 10 (10.0.0) 64bit
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] GRAPHICS: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 980 Ti : 5992
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] USER: JonnyG
[8/30/2020 11:00:41 AM] Launcher scene starting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:51 AM] Daily session backup created.
[8/30/2020 11:00:51 AM] Starting private server mode. [(192.168.5.91:1802) (fe80::2152:f981:13cd:2706:1802)]
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Game server started. [2600:1700:2e28:210::21:1802]
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Launcher scene exiting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] Tabletop scene starting.
[8/30/2020 11:00:52 AM] NETWORK STATUS: [Server] [Connected]
[Server Type - LAN]
[8/30/2020 11:01:00 AM] MEASURE: RULESETS LOAD - 8.3548462 - 5E
[8/30/2020 11:01:02 AM] MEASURE: EXTENSIONS LOAD - 1.5997971 - 7
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LIST BUILD - 2.5359052 - 64
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH IMAGE ASSETS - 0.0727782
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH PORTRAIT ASSETS - 0.0149606
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: REFRESH TOKEN ASSETS - 0.1397675
[8/30/2020 11:01:04 AM] MEASURE: ASSET LIST BUILD - 0.2295002
[8/30/2020 11:01:06 AM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 1 - 14.126132
[8/30/2020 11:01:06 AM] Loaded FreeType library version 2.10.2
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 10.5162939 - Syrinscape Soundlinks
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0169561 - 5E Conditions & Effects
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.1446697 - 5E Effects Coding - Class Features
[8/30/2020 11:01:17 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0169526 - 5E Effects Coding - Feats
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0568402 - 5E Effects Coding - Race Traits
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.2080397 - 5E Effects Coding - Spells
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0129649 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Adventuring Gear
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.3480682 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Armor
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0149596 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Potions
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0119667 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Rings
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0069805 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Rods
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0089742 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Staffs
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0089757 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Wands
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0867679 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Weapons
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0648266 - 5E Items Effects Coding - Wondrous Items
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0079784 - 5E Race Ability Modifiers & Key Class Stats
[8/30/2020 11:01:18 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0090023 - 5E Racial Trait Effects
[8/30/2020 11:01:24 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 5.8915728 - D&D Storm King's Thunder
[8/30/2020 11:01:29 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 4.4791033 - D&D Dungeon Master's Guide
[8/30/2020 11:01:29 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0319142 - D&D Dungeon Master's Guide - Players
[8/30/2020 11:01:31 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.651683 - D&D Lost Mine of Phandelver
[8/30/2020 11:01:36 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 5.43597 - D&D Monster Manual
[8/30/2020 11:01:40 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 3.9945888 - D&D Player's Handbook
[8/30/2020 11:01:42 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 2.2315957 - D&D Xanathar's Guide to Everything
[8/30/2020 11:01:43 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.0439352 - D&D Xanathar's Guide to Everything - Players
[8/30/2020 11:01:44 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.0704635 - 5E SRD Bestiary
[8/30/2020 11:01:44 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0837433 - FG Battle Maps
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 1.6648667 - Storm Kings Thunder Complete DMs Bundle
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0468875 - Syrinscape Chat Triggers
[8/30/2020 11:01:46 AM] MEASURE: MODULE LOAD - 0.0658231 - The Haunt
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] RULESET: 5E ruleset v3.3.11 for Fantasy Grounds
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] RULESET: CoreRPG ruleset v3.3.11B for Fantasy Grounds
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Miss Flavor Text - Extension v1.1\r5E version for Fantasy Grounds\r--by Kent McCullough 2020
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Theme: Simple Gray\rCopyright 2018 ll00ll00ll00ll and SmiteWorks USA LLC
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: 5E Enhancer - Skip Actor
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: 5E Enhancer - Wounds
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Extension (Decal_SKT) loaded.
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Syrinscape Online Sounds v1.12
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] EXTENSION: Weapon Handling v1.0\nExtension for Versatile and Offhand attack
[8/30/2020 11:01:47 AM] MEASURE: LOAD - PART 2 - 41.088306

You did not include the version of the extension. You either download the new one and make sure you have the latest or look at the chat log.

HuseyinCinar
August 31st, 2020, 23:05
I recently updated to the newest version of Better Menus and am running FGC. It seems that there is a conflict with the Roll for Initiative add on now. I reverted the Better Menus extension and everything works again. The RFI extension started throwing script errors anytime a roll was sent to the players.

Having the same problem

celestian
September 1st, 2020, 03:48

That latest version was only an update for FGU. If you had not updated for a while I cannot speculate as to the problem. That said I tend to code these extensions to be unobtrusive as possible. I cannot possibly know what other extensions do and for that reason the actions I take are only those that are required to function.

JonnyG
September 5th, 2020, 16:40
You did not include the version of the extension. You either download the new one and make sure you have the latest or look at the chat log.

Sorry for the delay. I had only downloaded when the Unity version came out, so thought it was the latest. But I downloaded again just to make sure, and the issue went away.

Thanks much,
Jon

Klandare
September 5th, 2020, 17:40
That latest version was only an update for FGU. If you had not updated for a while I cannot speculate as to the problem. That said I tend to code these extensions to be unobtrusive as possible. I cannot possibly know what other extensions do and for that reason the actions I take are only those that are required to function.

What is the latest version # that applies for FGC? The version that I have which works on FGC is 1.5.

celestian
September 6th, 2020, 03:46
What is the latest version # that applies for FGC? The version that I have which works on FGC is 1.5.

The latest version works in both FGC and FGU.

Klandare
September 6th, 2020, 05:34
The latest version works in both FGC and FGU.

It might work in FGC but it breaks Request for Initiative extension (causes it to start tripping a script error). Not sure what might have changed in your extension but the older version (1.5) interacts fine with RFI.

celestian
September 6th, 2020, 08:46
It might work in FGC but it breaks Request for Initiative extension (causes it to start tripping a script error). Not sure what might have changed in your extension but the older version (1.5) interacts fine with RFI.

As I said the only differences are for FGU. The changes made were to remove FGU restrictions, FGC works exactly the same. I can't possibly be aware of all other extensions and what they do. Someone that knows both would need to research, I just don't have time unfortunately.

fabiocm
September 6th, 2020, 17:10
Hello! It looks to be working properly in FGU. I'm using a lot of extensions and it seems to not conflict. They are:
5E enhancer v0.10.2;
Spell tokens 1.1;
5E Roll for Initiative;
Audio Overseer 1.23;
Roboto Font extension
Has initiative indicator 1.1
Shops v1.8
Aura Effects v0.4

I would like to ask for a feature (or a workaround, if it exists). Better menus makes impossible to drag and drop the menus to the shortcut bar. Would be possible to make the better menus buttons draggable? Or add a button in the opened frame itself, then allow us to drag and drop it to a shortcut.

celestian
September 6th, 2020, 19:32
Hello! It looks to be working properly in FGU. I'm using a lot of extensions and it seems to not conflict. They are:

Better menus makes impossible to drag and drop the menus to the shortcut bar. Would be possible to make the better menus buttons draggable? Or add a button in the opened frame itself, then allow us to drag and drop it to a shortcut.

You can go to the Library and click/drag the links from there to your hotbar already ;)

fabiocm
September 7th, 2020, 04:34
You can go to the Library and click/drag the links from there to your hotbar now ;)

Ah, sure!! Thanks for the hint.

Kyler
September 8th, 2020, 10:51
Would love to see this work for Savage Worlds.

celestian
September 8th, 2020, 15:46
Would love to see this work for Savage Worlds.

Until the SW ruleset is more aligned with CoreRPG it won't work properly.

Rbbrbootz
September 9th, 2020, 02:30
Thank you for the extension. I tried it in Unity, and it works great, but it isn't for me. One part though, I wish I could have were all the reference manuals that you coded for your third menu option. I am seriously crap at coding, and I am unsure what portions I would need to form it.

Maldev
September 9th, 2020, 05:40
G'Day there.
Great extension Celestian, my players and I love it- Cheers for that.
I run 4E D&D with a lot of extensions in conjunction with Better Menus and have no conflicts.
I noticed through some trial and error that if I
1/ Resize the chat window
2/ Then put the map as a background image for combat
3/ The Image covers the chat window as much as I made it wider (See image)39200
Just letting you know ;)

celestian
September 9th, 2020, 05:59
G'Day there.
Great extension Celestian, my players and I love it- Cheers for that.
I run 4E D&D with a lot of extensions in conjunction with Better Menus and have no conflicts.
I noticed through some trial and error that if I
1/ Resize the chat window
2/ Then put the map as a background image for combat
3/ The Image covers the chat window as much as I made it wider (See image)39200
Just letting you know ;)

Hum, yeah the order of the panels makes a difference. I've made a tweak and if you want grab it from the repo (find in first post) if it works for you I'll post it. What it does is the chat window will always be on top. Thats the behavior of FG right now (it doesn't move the image window over).

Maldev
September 9th, 2020, 08:04
Great stuff Celestian. Tested it in 2 campaigns and AOK.
Cheers :)

Ludd_G
September 9th, 2020, 17:54
Hi Celestian,

great extension! I was just wondering if you could make all the menu entries draggable to the hot-keys at the bottom of the screen? This would be a great extra QoL addition alongside the Better Menus (I'd especially love to be able to get 'Effects' on a hot-key and I can't work out a way to achieve that at the moment?)

Cheers,

Simon

celestian
September 9th, 2020, 18:17
Hi Celestian,

great extension! I was just wondering if you could make all the menu entries draggable to the hot-keys at the bottom of the screen? This would be a great extra QoL addition alongside the Better Menus (I'd especially love to be able to get 'Effects' on a hot-key and I can't work out a way to achieve that at the moment?)

Cheers,

Simon

You can already do this (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?58226-Better-Menus-(CoreRPG-5E-etc)&p=539867&viewfull=1#post539867) in that regard. It won't be Menu options tho. I can't use the button control and drag/drop them and if I don't use buttons I can't do other things that make the menus possible. So, right now there is not a way to drag from the menus directly.

Ludd_G
September 9th, 2020, 18:23
No worries, thanks for getting back to me.

I don't suppose you can think of any way to get 'Effects' on the hot-key bar, as it's not a library item, I'm stumped?

Cheers, Simon

celestian
September 9th, 2020, 18:29
No worries, thanks for getting back to me.

I don't suppose you can think of any way to get 'Effects' on the hot-key bar, as it's not a library item, I'm stumped?

Cheers, Simon

/openwindow effectlist

Drag/drop that into a slot.

["client"] =
{
{
icon="button_ct",
icon_down="button_ct_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_ct",
class="combattracker_client",
path="combattracker",
},
{
icon="button_partysheet",
icon_down="button_partysheet_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_ps",
class="partysheet_client",
path="partysheet",
},
{
icon="button_calendar",
icon_down="button_calendar_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_calendar",
class="calendar",
path="calendar",
},
{
icon="button_color",
icon_down="button_color_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_colors",
class="pointerselection",
},
{
icon="button_modifiers",
icon_down="button_modifiers_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_modifiers",
class="modifiers",
path="modifiers",
},
{
icon="button_effects",
icon_down="button_effects_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_effects",
class="effectlist",
path="effects",
},
{
icon="button_options",
icon_down="button_options_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_options",
class="options",
},
},

The class is the parameter to add to /openwindow if you want to do the others.

Ludd_G
September 9th, 2020, 18:36
Thank you, I'll try that out!

kevininrussia
September 9th, 2020, 21:26
Question on Books menu. Now it lists Reference items. Is it possible to list all shared modules and not just the reference section? For example, I am running 4e and have created individual modules for each characters powers and abilities. It would mimic selecting the module "book" in the library. None have Reference stuff so when they select books nothing shows.

https://i.imgur.com/hWFh6i3.png

celestian
September 9th, 2020, 21:52
Question on Books menu. Now it lists Reference items. Is it possible to list all shared modules and not just the reference section? For example, I am running 4e and have created individual modules for each characters powers and abilities. It would mimic selecting the module "book" in the library. None have Reference stuff so when they select books nothing shows.

https://i.imgur.com/hWFh6i3.png

Not sure I understand the request. The Books section only lists modules loaded that have a chapter in them. If they have no chapter in the reference section it's not included in the list.

kevininrussia
September 9th, 2020, 22:02
Yes, it only lists modules that have chapters in them. I would like to list the whole module as the library does. I was hoping you could point me to the relevant code section so I can try my hand at modifying it so it will do that. :-)

celestian
September 9th, 2020, 23:03
Yes, it only lists modules that have chapters in them. I would like to list the whole module as the library does. I was hoping you could point me to the relevant code section so I can try my hand at modifying it so it will do that. :-)

What would the link do? I'm still not clear. It sounds like you want another menu option entirely because mixing them like that would be confusing and... not so simple to code.

fabiocm
September 10th, 2020, 06:02
Hello.

Today I was gaming with Better Menus in FGU and noted that it prevented the extension Roll for Initiative! to work. The pop up didn't show for player when Better menus was loaded.

Just registering.

kevininrussia
September 11th, 2020, 17:34
Would it be possible to add buttons to the Menu system? Could be convenient for menu or records that are most used.

Example
https://i.imgur.com/Q9FH2jO.png

celestian
September 11th, 2020, 18:01
Would it be possible to add buttons to the Menu system? Could be convenient for menu or records that are most used.

The idea behind the Menu system is to have something that works much like the OS menu systems. Each button has a drop down for the relevant options. The examples you've shown are pulling options from Menu/Records and adding a button for that... That doesn't follow the general idea of the "OS" system menu and it would clutter up the UI.

kevininrussia
September 11th, 2020, 18:45
So not in the scope of your extension.

Milmoor
September 23rd, 2020, 16:41
/openwindow effectlist

Drag/drop that into a slot.

["client"] =
{
{
icon="button_ct",
icon_down="button_ct_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_ct",
class="combattracker_client",
path="combattracker",
},
{
icon="button_partysheet",
icon_down="button_partysheet_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_ps",
class="partysheet_client",
path="partysheet",
},
{
icon="button_calendar",
icon_down="button_calendar_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_calendar",
class="calendar",
path="calendar",
},
{
icon="button_color",
icon_down="button_color_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_colors",
class="pointerselection",
},
{
icon="button_modifiers",
icon_down="button_modifiers_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_modifiers",
class="modifiers",
path="modifiers",
},
{
icon="button_effects",
icon_down="button_effects_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_effects",
class="effectlist",
path="effects",
},
{
icon="button_options",
icon_down="button_options_down",
tooltipres="sidebar_tooltip_options",
class="options",
},
},

The class is the parameter to add to /openwindow if you want to do the others.

Opening the effectlist works just fine when I type the command in the chat window. Very useful. But I can't find the handle to drag/drop that into a slot. I usually drag the red dragon head for images and such, which isn't available in this window. This is probably a lack of basic FG knowledge, but I can't figure it out so far. What do I drag? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Hot_Keys

grimmlock
September 23rd, 2020, 18:34
Opening the effectlist works just fine when I type the command in the chat window. Very useful. But I can't find the handle to drag/drop that into a slot. I usually drag the red dragon head for images and such, which isn't available in this window. This is probably a lack of basic FG knowledge, but I can't figure it out so far. What do I drag? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Hot_Keys

Type it into chat, then, before you press Enter, click and drag the words that you just typed into chat to one of your hotkeys. You can do this with anything you put into chat to allow it to be on a hotkey and output directly to chat.

Milmoor
September 23rd, 2020, 21:35
Type it into chat, then, before you press Enter, click and drag the words that you just typed into chat to one of your hotkeys. You can do this with anything you put into chat to allow it to be on a hotkey and output directly to chat.
Thanks, very simple, but I would have never figured this out on my own.

EllivasKram
October 14th, 2020, 07:14
celestian - Are you aware your extn interrupts the pop up windows for RFI++ Extn.

Specifically for the PC’s. Seems fine for DM’s

The latest edit I’ve made forces it to load @ 1001. This fixes ‘Auto Save advantage’ and ‘Auto halfling luck’

Maybe your extn needs to support the pop up window specifically. Or it’s load order needs to be really high. To always be last to process.

Milmoor
October 17th, 2020, 16:06
<<>>
Download the latest extension here:
This gives me versions 1.8, I downloaded the 1.11 version from your GitHub. This solves Mad Nomad's 3rd Party Updater bugging me for your extension at startup ;).

celestian
October 17th, 2020, 19:51
This gives me versions 1.8, I downloaded the 1.11 version from your GitHub. This solves Mad Nomad's 3rd Party Updater bugging me for your extension at startup ;).

I just double checked, the downloadable version in this thread is 1.11.

Glad you are sorted in anycase.

eriktedesco
October 17th, 2020, 22:46
Hi Celestian, could it be possible to make Better Menu compatible with RFI++?

Milmoor
October 18th, 2020, 14:56
I just double checked, the downloadable version in this thread is 1.11.

Glad you are sorted in anycase.

Checked as well: did an oops somehow. You are right.

0aRmathteacher
October 26th, 2020, 04:33
This is great, but where did some of the things like "Assets" go to? I'm using FGU.

fabiocm
October 26th, 2020, 05:16
They're in tokens, the last item from the first menu to the left.

Tokens was the name used in FGC.

celestian
October 26th, 2020, 05:43
They're in tokens, the last item from the first menu to the left.

Tokens was the name used in FGC.

To generate those menu options I use values stored in a standard array used in the system so that they are not hardcoded by me. Unfortunately right now thats "Tokens" in CoreRPG.

I'll see if I can add some sanity check in there to force it, look at the repo version if you wanna try it.

johniba
October 26th, 2020, 18:25
This is really cool.
I work on two rulesets (Genesys and a new FFG Star Wars) and today I made some small corrections so it is compatible with this extension.

(I did not yet upload the new version as I am working on a new feature first)

orien45
November 9th, 2020, 17:26
I have Bestiaries 1,2 and 4 loaded for only GM access, but for some reason #4 keeps popping up on the menu. I have loaded and unloaded it, trying to fix the issue, but to no avail. Any suggestions? 40954

celestian
November 9th, 2020, 18:41
I have Bestiaries 1,2 and 4 loaded for only GM access, but for some reason #4 keeps popping up on the menu. I have loaded and unloaded it, trying to fix the issue, but to no avail. Any suggestions? 40954

Why is that a problem? I suspect that 1 and 2 do not have ref-manuals and 4 does.

orien45
November 10th, 2020, 00:29
I do not want players looking at the monsters, lol

damned
November 10th, 2020, 00:46
Does it show up on the PLAYERS menu?

celestian
November 10th, 2020, 03:56
I do not want players looking at the monsters, lol

Unless you are sharing it with them and they are loading it they can't see it.

Left is player, right is DM.
https://i.imgur.com/u2a75GT.png

coolitzero
November 23rd, 2020, 05:21
Works perfectly in FGU on 5e rule-set. Thank you so much for packing this up for us!

Valyar
November 26th, 2020, 14:46
Suggestion for an enhancement to this mod: When the mod is active, it is not possible to drag Combat Tracker, Party Sheet or other sidebars to the hot-key bar. Allow drag & drop of menu to the sidebar for quick access.

SmackDaddy
November 26th, 2020, 18:10
Suggestion for an enhancement to this mod: When the mod is active, it is not possible to drag Combat Tracker, Party Sheet or other sidebars to the hot-key bar. Allow drag & drop of menu to the sidebar for quick access.

This!

celestian
November 27th, 2020, 20:20

The idea behind this system is so you don't need those for these types of menus. It consolidates the menus into a top level access in one place.

As far as the "record" links you can still drag/drop those from the Library section for the short cuts.

I did try and use a method during testing so you could drag/drop directly from the BetterMenus drop downs but certain "faux controls" just don't work in a way to function how I needed it too.

JohnD
November 28th, 2020, 06:32
Unless you are sharing it with them and they are loading it they can't see it.

Left is player, right is DM.
https://i.imgur.com/u2a75GT.png

I see my mother-in-law is playing in your game. Sorry about that.

Valyar
November 28th, 2020, 08:58
The idea behind this system is so you don't need those for these types of menus. It consolidates the menus into a top level access in one place.

As far as the "record" links you can still drag/drop those from the Library section for the short cuts.

I did try and use a method during testing so you could drag/drop directly from the BetterMenus drop downs but certain "faux controls" just don't work in a way to function how I needed it too.

Yes, I understand what the idea is and I really like the approach, though after several sessions I found out that this is not suitable for my play style. I tend to keep the desktop clean, use the shortcuts to CT/PS/etc. What surprised me is that my players also use such approach, therefore I put this here. I understand that this is not something that can be done due to technical limitation. I have no issues in preparing the shortcut bar first and then enabling the extension.

What about the ability to move the menus from top left to middle or right? I believe, at least for my case, it will be much more useful since less mouse travel and muscle memory to get to the menus in the sidebar? :D

Maybe some chat command to trigger positioning.

eriktedesco
November 29th, 2020, 08:22
Hi Valyar, you can unlock the menu (right-click and unlock), move it wherever you want, and then lock it again!

Valyar
November 29th, 2020, 16:58
Hi Valyar, you can unlock the menu (right-click and unlock), move it wherever you want, and then lock it again!

Oh my... didn't thought of that! Amazing, this might work.

celestian
November 29th, 2020, 20:27
Yes, I understand what the idea is and I really like the approach, though after several sessions I found out that this is not suitable for my play style. I tend to keep the desktop clean, use the shortcuts to CT/PS/etc. What surprised me is that my players also use such approach, therefore I put this here. I understand that this is not something that can be done due to technical limitation. I have no issues in preparing the shortcut bar first and then enabling the extension.

What about the ability to move the menus from top left to middle or right? I believe, at least for my case, it will be much more useful since less mouse travel and muscle memory to get to the menus in the sidebar? :D

Maybe some chat command to trigger positioning.

You can right click and unlock the menu and move it. The animated gif shows it on the first post ;) Keep in mind it always opens DOWN so you can't put it on the bottom of the screen.

I'll tinker with drag/drop from the menus again when I have spare time to see if I can find a work around the problems I was having but I am not expecting much success as it was in one of my early prototypes and was not workable.

evilpope
December 3rd, 2020, 20:12
I have RFIA installed and it doesn't seem to be working with Better Menus. I see posts from oct i was wondering is this something you are working on. When I disable Better Menus RFIA works fine.

Weissrolf
December 12th, 2020, 21:40
While Better Menus seems to be working with PFRPG2 it comes with the side-effect of breaking the ability to enable/disable single buttons on the button bar (if menus are disabled). I can use the preconfigured GM, Play, All buttons, but I cannot switch single buttons.

MrDDT
December 13th, 2020, 18:30
I'm having issues when I put a map to the background desktop it cuts off 1/2 of my chat window behind the map.
Also with sidebar on, the map set to desktop completely covers the sidebar.

(Mostly I want to use this EXT for my players that play on a laptop/small screen and I can have it running on the table where I have mine look normal and they can use the menus.)

Also using RFI++ ext, doesnt play well with this, it will not let the pop up for requests come thru the map when it's set to the background.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 20:35
(Mostly I want to use this EXT for my players that play on a laptop/small screen and I can have it running on the table where I have mine look normal and they can use the menus.)

It won't work like that. If you have the extension loaded the full screen map will be for a Menu system, not for sidebar. The enable/disable for Menus won't change that.

celestian
December 13th, 2020, 20:38
Also using RFI++ ext, doesnt play well with this, it will not let the pop up for requests come thru the map when it's set to the background.

To be clear on this topic since I get it alot, I do not have the cycles, unfortunately, to debug other extensions to figure out why various issues occur. I'd be happy to work out a solution if someone can figure out the cause with specific code points and a possible fix. Keeping the number of extensions I have up to date and working in FGU with the primary rulesets is all I can manage at this time.

MrDDT
December 13th, 2020, 22:12
To be clear on this topic since I get it alot, I do not have the cycles, unfortunately, to debug other extensions to figure out why various issues occur. I'd be happy to work out a solution if someone can figure out the cause with specific code points and a possible fix. Keeping the number of extensions I have up to date and working in FGU with the primary rulesets is all I can manage at this time.

I completely understand trust me. (Lately I've spend more time dealing with SW updating FGU and ext getting them to work than anything else)

However, the chatbox issue being covered when I push a map to the background(desktop) has nothing to do with other exts and I would still like to use this ext even if I can't get the other issues I listed. You think maybe (fingers crossed) you can figure out why and fix that?

Weissrolf
December 13th, 2020, 22:28
While Better Menus seems to be working with PFRPG2 it comes with the side-effect of breaking the ability to enable/disable single buttons on the button bar (if menus are disabled). I can use the preconfigured GM, Play, All buttons, but I cannot switch single buttons.
I checked the 5E sample campaign. The same thing happens there. Reproduction:

- Disable Better Menus.
- Open Library.
- Try to disable/enable single side-bar buttons.

celestian
December 14th, 2020, 00:45
I completely understand trust me. (Lately I've spend more time dealing with SW updating FGU and ext getting them to work than anything else)

However, the chatbox issue being covered when I push a map to the background(desktop) has nothing to do with other exts and I would still like to use this ext even if I can't get the other issues I listed. You think maybe (fingers crossed) you can figure out why and fix that?

I don't see an issue. (looks the same with option in prefs set to Sidebar)

https://i.imgur.com/3JwlvDh.png

MrDDT
December 14th, 2020, 00:55
Check this to see.

https://imgur.com/oeoQiQZ

I do notice you are using v1.14 in your picture.

celestian
December 14th, 2020, 04:01
Update 1.14:

[Updated] FGU will show tokens/etc as "Assets"
[Updated] Changed load order of image desktop panel
[Updated] Load order for extension moved to 999

(see if that corrects your issue MrDDT)

I forgot to push this out apparently (for the various other tweaks) from 2 months ago.

MrDDT
December 14th, 2020, 06:10
This corrected the issues other than it still hides the sidebar IF you have it in sidebar mode when you push a map to the background.

Not sure this is something you care to change. Like I said for me, I like running this ext for players that play on a small screen. So me as the DM I like the normal buttons but giving players the option to use better menus.

Maybe please put an option in to have that sidebar not be pushed behind the desktop maps? ;) pls *cherries on top*

But great work man either way I'm going to use this, you got a lot of stuff that help us all out thanks.

celestian
December 14th, 2020, 08:18
This corrected the issues other than it still hides the sidebar IF you have it in sidebar mode when you push a map to the background.

Not sure this is something you care to change. Like I said for me, I like running this ext for players that play on a small screen. So me as the DM I like the normal buttons but giving players the option to use better menus.

That issue will not go away for you unfortunately. The thought is, if the DM doesn't want to use BetterMenu then they won't load it. I cannot alter the panel after the fact at least not w/o other implications.

I added the ability to "toggle" better menus enable for client connects at the insistence of some DMs.

MrDDT
December 14th, 2020, 18:42
Thanks.

Well still really good and I will be using it. Thank you so much.

Weissrolf
December 16th, 2020, 15:39
In our group the GM (me) does not use Better Menus, but some of the players like to. For the time being I unfortunately had to disable it, because of the button switching issues. The map thing is inconvenient, but we don't use maxed map windows anyway.

steveculshaw
December 26th, 2020, 13:12
Just starting with Fantasy Grounds Unity, and struggling with the UI in various places.
Saw this posting with raised hopes, but it's only for Classic :(

Better Menus (CoreRPG, 5E/etc)
This runs under FGC with CoreRPG 3.3.10. Until FGU has feature parity with FGC it will not function IN FGU (FGU is missing a minimize API call).
Note: This does not work with Savage Worlds ruleset.
This replaces the SIDEBAR with a Menu button system.

But the latest postings suggest it's now working for FGU :)

Would it be possible to update the first post, so that a new Unity user (like me) doesn't get the wrong impression ?

And second question ... does the extension now work with the Savage Worlds ruleset ?

charmov
December 26th, 2020, 19:10
Thanks man!

celestian
December 26th, 2020, 19:42
Would it be possible to update the first post, so that a new Unity user (like me) doesn't get the wrong impression ?

And second question ... does the extension now work with the Savage Worlds ruleset ?

Works with FGU, don't think it works with SW. The SW ruleset changes configuration elements used in CoreRPG which causes BetterMenus to not function properly with it.

Updated first post ;)

Bleak Midwinter
December 27th, 2020, 17:53
Thank you for this. The Fantasy Grounds UI looks atrocious to anyone who isn't used to it from the days of yore, and this extension somewhat mitigates the damage.

eporrini
December 28th, 2020, 00:24
Celestian, any way to get this to work with the Tabber extension?

soonerhef
December 28th, 2020, 17:47
I love this extension! Thank you Celestian!

steveculshaw
December 28th, 2020, 19:10
Fantastic to get this extension working with FGU!

The extension seems to be working for the most parts in SWADE as well now, besides not picking up the books.
But you can access those though the Library so there's a workaround.
That aside besides some odd errors, like when moving the positions of menu and characters around show up. But everything still seems to work during the testing I did.

That's good news ... many thanks for checking it out, and posting

celestian
December 28th, 2020, 23:16
Celestian, any way to get this to work with the Tabber extension?

You would need to ask the Tabber author.

macDsinfo
January 7th, 2021, 15:55
Love the extension. Thank you.

I can not find “roll for initiative” when I run 5e sessions, however. Am I missing something? That is kind of a deal breaker to me/not sure if the issue is the button to activate rfi is up with the button for dice color, etc, or if I am just not looking in the right place...

macDsinfo
January 7th, 2021, 16:04
NVM

I found if I load the campaign without better menus, I can drag the rfi button to the hot bar. Then load the campaign with better menus and the problem is solved...

I can not find “roll for initiative” when I run 5e sessions, however. Am I missing something? That is kind of a deal breaker to me/not sure if the issue is the button to activate rfi is up with the button for dice color, etc, or if I am just not looking in the right place...

celestian
January 7th, 2021, 16:05

The menu system will only have FG "system" menus. Ruleset specific, character sheet options are not supported from the menu system.

Supporting individual character sheet options like initiative, attacks and saves is beyond the scope of this project.

Klandare
January 7th, 2021, 16:11

go back to page 5 of this thread; it shows how to update the extension to allow the RFI button to be in the dropdowns.

geewaagh
January 9th, 2021, 16:17
Great extension! Just loaded with the Traveller ruleset. Fantastic job!

macDsinfo
January 14th, 2021, 15:38
which file am I "extracting" to make this work? I know this is a n00b question but I would love to get this to work. I am using macOS. thank you very much, in advance...

This is very easy to fix. If you extract the files, look for the rfi.lua file in the scripts directory. Add the following code.

if MenuManager then
MenuManager.addMenuItem(windowName, "", "tooltipTextKey", "RFI");
end

The resulting function should look like this.

https://imgur.com/JRQQY34.jpg

eporrini
January 14th, 2021, 17:26
Removed this post it was made in error.

celestian
January 14th, 2021, 18:31
Can someone PLEASE take ownership of this giving credit to the original author? His intent (and he said as much) was for someone to carry this forward. I’m cool if we call it something different, chain off to a different thread, and say it’s built off off combat enhancer.

Not sure what you are asking.

eporrini
January 14th, 2021, 20:03
Celestian sorry for the confusion, I thought this was the 5e combat enhancer thread. Sorry!!

Xargun
January 30th, 2021, 15:40
I love this extension but have a slight problem. MBM just recently updated the traveller ruleset to add a new Menu and its not showing up in your menu dropdown. Is there something that needs to be done on your side?

Xargun

celestian
January 30th, 2021, 18:23
I love this extension but have a slight problem. MBM just recently updated the traveller ruleset to add a new Menu and its not showing up in your menu dropdown. Is there something that needs to be done on your side?

Xargun

BetterMenus will gather all the menu entries added using the CoreRPG button system and list them. If the developer of the Traveller ruleset did not use this it will not show up.

These are the objects that BetterMenus looks through to add to the drop down.

Desktop.aCoreDesktopStack["host"]
Desktop.aCoreDesktopStack["client"]
...fgu
Desktop.aCoreDesktopDockV4["live"]
Desktop.aCoreDesktopDock["live"]

He can add it using the hooks with BetterMenus if he doesn't want to use the CoreRPG menu structure. There is an example in the extension that adds a menu to the "Modules" section as it's not a "button" in the older style.

MenuManager.addMenuItem("moduleselection", "", "sidebar_tooltip_moduleselection");

There is also one to add the "Setup" button that users can access from that menu that pops up when they connect to a server.

MenuManager.addMenuItem("setup", "", "menu_setup_tooltip",Interface.getString("menu_setup_label"));

This is the documentation on the hook function.

--[[
This will add a custom menu/window item to the Menu button.

sRecord The window class
sPath The database node associated with this window (if any)
sToolTip The tooltip string record, Interface.getString(sTooltip); Displayed when someone hovers over the menu selection
sButtonCustomText The text used as the name for the menu. If doesn't exist will look for "library_recordtype_label_" .. sRecord
]]
function addMenuItem(sRecord, sPath, sToolTip, sButtonCustomText)

grimmlock
January 31st, 2021, 23:22

Xargun

I'm guessing you mean the Spacecraft Combat Tracker, right? Until (or really iff I guess) MBM updates Traveller to implement the S CT that way, you could always drag S CT to a shortcut at the bottom then turn on the Better Menus extension. You'll still have full access to the S CT from that shortcut, whether it is showing in the menu or not.

MadBeardMan
February 3rd, 2021, 00:50
Hi,

I was using:

if User.isHost() then
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "ct_ship_combat","combattracker");
else
DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut2("button_shipct", "button_shipct_down", "sidebar_tooltip_shipct", "shipcombattracker_client","combattracker");
end

But have checked SFRPG and switched to this DesktopManager.registerStackShortcut(, I can't remember where I found the code originally, it might have been because SCT was an extension earlier, no idea.

Cheers,
MBM

charmov
February 18th, 2021, 02:25
Hi there! I'm running into a minor issue when trying to access the "library" from the menu. This is for 5e and the only other extensions I use that affect the sidebar are Motte's darkness theme and RFIA. 43876
Not a big deal to me I hardly use the Library button but in case others do...I only noticed this behavior after running the recent ruleset update.
Big fan of all your extensions by the way!

kevininrussia
February 18th, 2021, 03:13
Getting the same error as Charmov (in 4e ruleset).

Vigilance
February 18th, 2021, 23:49
getting this error.

celestian
February 19th, 2021, 00:02
Update 1.20:

[Updated] Changes due to the 2021-02 CoreRPG changes

Vigilance
February 19th, 2021, 14:24
The worked thanks.

brianreid47
February 19th, 2021, 14:24
Ok. I am running FGU, with the D&D 5e rules. I downloaded this extension, and placed it into my extensions folder. I then started the game, and loaded my campaign. When I went over to the extensions list to activate the extension, it was not in my list of extensions. I started the game up anyway, hoping that maybe I didn't need to activate it, but it was not there when the game loaded. Any idea what I am missing?

Thanks,
B.B.

Amerisun
February 19th, 2021, 15:06
Brian, you have to activate the extension before you load to the campaign. See below:

brianreid47
February 19th, 2021, 16:12
That was it. I was looking under "B" for Better Menus, I didn't spot it under "C". Thanks!!

mordkhaan
February 23rd, 2021, 06:34
FYI, apparently Lighting from the Menus folder is no longer functional in FGU
IE mood lighting isnt handled in this way, it is instead handled by FX on maps instead

celestian
February 23rd, 2021, 07:26
FYI, apparently Lighting from the Menus folder is no longer functional in FGU
IE mood lighting isnt handled in this way, it is instead handled by FX on maps instead

Thanks for the heads up. Don't use it all that much. I'll hide it in FGU in a future version.

mordkhaan
February 23rd, 2021, 22:03
Also, not that I am intermittently getting these errors and Better Menus stops functioning
Wasnt even doing anything, just leave game up for a while and try to access a pulldown
Have a bunch of other exts running so COULD be conflict
[2/24/2021 10:59:51 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "menulist_window"]:23: attempt to index field 'windowDropDown' (a userdata value)
[2/24/2021 10:59:51 AM] [ERROR] Script execution error: [string "desktop/scripts/menubutton.lua"]:317: attempt to index global 'windowDropDown' (a userdata value)

celestian
February 23rd, 2021, 22:53
Also, not that I am intermittently getting these errors and Better Menus stops functioning
Wasnt even doing anything, just leave game up for a while and try to access a pulldown

Have a bunch of other exts running so COULD be conflict

Please debug that first.

kevininrussia
March 11th, 2021, 21:15
Found an issue when using the purchased FG Winter Theme.

The Dice Tower gets cropped:

Original:
https://i.imgur.com/1D4BFlE.png

With Better Menus:
https://i.imgur.com/6IFvrvN.png

I commented out this code in desktop_classes_adnd.xml and seemed to fix it. Hope it does not break something else :-)

<!--windowclass name="dicetower" merge="join">
<sizelimits>
<minimum width="100" height="90" />
</sizelimits>
<sheetdata>
<genericcontrol name="base">
<bounds>0,0,100,90</bounds>
<droptypes>
<type merge="add">attack</type>
<type merge="add">damage</type>
<type merge="add">heal</type>
<type merge="add">init</type>
<type merge="add">save</type>
<type merge="add">check</type>
</droptypes>
</genericcontrol>
</sheetdata>
</windowclass-->

Vigilance
March 13th, 2021, 18:25
getting the following errors in window saver x when doing a restore /wsx restore.44804

Milke
March 14th, 2021, 20:01
Just added this to FGU. It definitely opens up space. I wish I knew enough about coding to fiddle with it. For instance, the "options" button shows up as "preferences" in the drop down menu. So it'll take some fumbling and searching at first to find what I'm looking for until I'm used to it. But more space is always good.

celestian
March 15th, 2021, 08:07
Just added this to FGU. It definitely opens up space. I wish I knew enough about coding to fiddle with it. For instance, the "options" button shows up as "preferences" in the drop down menu. So it'll take some fumbling and searching at first to find what I'm looking for until I'm used to it. But more space is always good.

You know, there was a reason I set it to Preferences but looking at the window it opens, it's "Options". I think perhaps I was just not paying to close of attention ;)

I'll change that.

celestian
March 15th, 2021, 08:10
Update 1.22:

[Updated] Changed "Preferences" menu to "Options" to match the actual window it opens

Milke
March 15th, 2021, 23:43
Changed "Preferences" menu to "Options" to match the actual window it opens

Thanks!
It wasn't a huge deal. Preferences makes sense. But since the actual button said Options, I kept having to stop and think where it was when I dropped it down. ha.
Cheers!

MCFBrandao
March 16th, 2021, 02:32
Hello I installed this extension and found amazing the benefits!
But I got a problem.

I have Roll for Initiative extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP) and this extension create the "small button" on side bar, and after installed your extension I can't found the link for the extension on the menus.

celestian
March 16th, 2021, 05:44
Hello I installed this extension and found amazing the benefits!
But I got a problem.

I have Roll for Initiative extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?45234-5E-Request-Roll-Extension-WIP) and this extension create the "small button" on side bar, and after installed your extension I can't found the link for the extension on the menus.

Unfortunately I am unable to resolve issues related to other extensions and this one having compatibility issues. The community is wide and varied and there are just to many. The best I can do with the time I have is to keep the extensions working with CoreRPG and rulesets that layer on that without drastic overrides of CoreRPG systems.

MCFBrandao
March 16th, 2021, 19:44
Unfortunately I am unable to resolve issues related to other extensions and this one having compatibility issues. The community is wide and varied and there are just to many. The best I can do with the time I have is to keep the extensions working with CoreRPG and rulesets that layer on that without drastic overrides of CoreRPG systems.

No problem! I understand and agree with you!

Thanks for everything!

swbuza
March 23rd, 2021, 18:41
Hahaha.. I love your hot bar bindings, celestian.

DireGnome
March 30th, 2021, 10:52
Thanks for this nice extension. Should my Dungeon Crawl Classics rule book show up in the books dropdown? My adventure module book is there but not the rules. Haven't tried from a player account, just GM. Not a big deal if there is something about the ruleset that prevenys it, just curious.

celestian
March 30th, 2021, 15:21
Thanks for this nice extension. Should my Dungeon Crawl Classics rule book show up in the books dropdown? My adventure module book is there but not the rules. Haven't tried from a player account, just GM. Not a big deal if there is something about the ruleset that prevenys it, just curious.

It should if it followed the standard ref-manual format it should show up. If not, I cannot say. I do not own any DCC product.

celestian
July 27th, 2021, 21:12
I've removed the download link in favor of the new Forge system. Updates will be coming through there moving forward.

eporrini
July 27th, 2021, 21:47
@Celestian, are you familiar with the extension FG Tabber? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51659-FGTabber-More-space-for-your-FG-client. I really want to use this extension with yours but I don't believe they are compatible. Is it possible?

celestian
July 27th, 2021, 21:52
@Celestian, are you familiar with the extension FG Tabber? https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?51659-FGTabber-More-space-for-your-FG-client. I really want to use this extension with yours but I don't believe they are compatible. Is it possible?

I've done my best to make the extension compatible with rulesets. Unfortunately I dont have the time to do the same for all the extensions. Everything done in this extension was focused on the minimalist effect on rulesets and it's the smallest footprint I could come up with. You might try asking the author of the extension in question that is doesn't work with.

eporrini
July 27th, 2021, 22:05
I have a post out to the author. I appreciate your quick response and love this extension!

Ulric
August 8th, 2021, 16:49
Is it possible to add back the window links that were in the top left corner? Currently there doesn't seem to be away to create a hotkey link to a window without unloading the Better Menus extension.

celestian
August 8th, 2021, 19:30
Is it possible to add back the window links that were in the top left corner? Currently there doesn't seem to be away to create a hotkey link to a window without unloading the Better Menus extension.

What do you mean windows link at the top left corner? If you mean the old shortcuts they are in the options>sidebars. That works whether you have Better Menus or not.

Ulric
August 9th, 2021, 02:09
What do you mean windows link at the top left corner? If you mean the old shortcuts they are in the options>sidebars. That works whether you have Better Menus or not.

Yes, the the shortcut link that was on each window. I never realized the sidebar buttons were also draggable shortcut links. That solves my problem! Thank you!

celestian
August 9th, 2021, 02:35
Yes, the the shortcut link that was on each window. I never realized the sidebar buttons were also draggable shortcut links. That solves my problem! Thank you!

Understood, the new sidebar menu is a recent thing as well and caught me by surprise also ;)

mordkhaan
October 10th, 2021, 22:55
Not sure if new sidebar related but...
Notice that wit h better menus loaded, if some folk prefer to still have buttons and enable that under options and restart
When they full screen an image it now covers the buttons where as it didnt before?