PDA

View Full Version : Old Gamer, New Game Tools

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 15:49
Greetings

I have been playing RPG's since the early 80's. It has been all tabletop, or face to face type gaming. Lately we play d20, MERP and more recently, a game of CoC seems to be gaining interest

I have been looking around for a software to improve our gaming capabilities.

I have a two computer LAN, with one of them SVGA output to a HDTV screen.
I use Campaign Cartographer and/or CorelDRAW at the game sessions to move graphics "tokens" around on a background "map" to replace the hex mat and pen & paper setup we have been used to.

For the most part, this works and we have pretty much gone paperless gaming for my games.

The one big problem I have with this setup is that there is no way to control the fog of war, other than overlaying polygons over what I dont want exposed, and then switching layers on and off, which no doubt is a PITA remembering which layers and getting it all setup is an additional chore I dont relish

Another problem is that each time I want to pull up notes or anything not for the players to see, I have to switch off the TV until I am done. I would like to keep my notes readily available at all times

So, looking at FG apparantly there are these abilities built in

So I have a few questions before I decide to purchase

1) Is there a ruleset available for MERP and CoC?

2) In a face-to-face MERP or CoC game, if we handle our own rule mechanics as we always have, I take it FG can still be used for the purpose of map exploration without all the ruleset coding? (I dont have time or inclination to learn how to code these, though I wouldnt mind paying fair price for that code if it makes the FG "game" more practical)

3) What disadvantages would I suffer for not having the appropriate rulesets and had to manage my own game mechanics? (other than the obvious)
.. a) In a face-to-face game
.. b) In an online game

4) Can FG be used in a "local" network setting, ie... we will not be connected to the Internet at all for game sessions.
So maps, tokens etc etc would have to be stored locally. I tried installng two demo clients on my network to playtest and it seemed to work ok, but I was connected to the internet, and wasnt sure if FG needs to go to the net for things I am not fully aware of. I didnt think of unplugging the internet until I started this post

5) I have a plain-jane utility I coded in VB that handles a variety of MERP related tasks. The output of the various functions can be sent to the clipboard. Can I send/paste the output of my utility from the clipboard into FG to output to the player client(s)?

6) When creating campaigns, are the campaigns modularized, or umm.. embedded into a single large package, or are the campaign's assets retianed in their original form?

7) When I create new content for a campaign, do I have to transfer content to the player client, or is that all transmitted automatically?

8) I store all of my campaign data on an external HDD. I have a backup drive with identical copy of all my game data, so if there is a critical failure of a system, be it computer or primary HDD I am covered.
How does the license system work, and will it allow me to run my games from my HDD no matter what happens to the "host" computer? ie if a computer fails in the middle of a game session, I want to be able to plugin to a different computer and keep right on with the game.
Also, can my FG campaign be stored on my external HDD, and browsed to from FG

9) What is the largest map size FG will support? I have seen 50pix per cell, as a fairly standard size. We are not so much interested in amazing graphical quality as we are in display and information control.
So how many cells wide and across are optimal? What if I had a sprawling castle fortress complex of *arbitrary* 2000ft x 2000ft, (or even greater), how would one of you experienced users deal with this problem?

10) Can FG do hexes? I couldnt figure out how to do hexes in the DEMO

11) Once the overlay mask is "painted" clear to reveal whats underneath, other than resetting the entire map, can a mask be "repainted" in particular areas?

12) Are pointers a sort of a light source? Why do they affect the grid? Why do they only affect the map when grid is on but not when grid is off?

Thats all for now
Thanks in Advance

Stuart
April 3rd, 2007, 16:21
1) Is there a ruleset available for MERP and CoC??
No ... for MERP, the Tolkien Estate lawyers are judicious and generous with their use of The Black Breath to close down anything they consider steps on their IP interests.

2) In a face-to-face MERP or CoC game, if we handle our own rule mechanics as we always have, I take it FG can still be used for the purpose of map exploration without all the ruleset coding? (I dont have time or inclination to learn how to code these, though I wouldnt mind paying fair price for that code if it makes the FG "game" more practical)?
Yes ... there are VTA alternatives that you should check out if you are primarily interested in a system to display maps. the fouruglymonsters page has a superb table that compares them all (thanks Snikle).

3) What disadvantages would I suffer for not having the appropriate rulesets and had to manage my own game mechanics? (other than the obvious)
.. a) In a face-to-face game
.. b) In an online game?
Personally, I think the only thing you need is a character sheet .. no disadvantages at all in a) in b) ... depends on the type of DM you are. I prefer paperless rulesystem-rich set ups.

4) Can FG be used in a "local" network setting, ie... we will not be connected to the Internet at all for game sessions.
So maps, tokens etc etc would have to be stored locally. I tried installng two demo clients on my network to playtest and it seemed to work ok, but I was connected to the internet, and wasnt sure if FG needs to go to the net for things I am not fully aware of. I didnt think of unplugging the internet until I started this post?
Yes

5) I have a plain-jane utility I coded in VB that handles a variety of MERP related tasks. The output of the various functions can be sent to the clipboard. Can I send/paste the output of my utility from the clipboard into FG to output to the player client(s)? ?
In short no ... at least, I don't think so.

6) When creating campaigns, are the campaigns modularized, or umm.. embedded into a single large package, or are the campaign's assets retianed in their original form??
You have the ability to Export a campaign as a module. Prepare a new campaign, populate it with a story, maps and NPC's and then export it. Start a new campaign called "MERP" or some such that uses the same rulesystem, you will be able to load the exported module. All maps etc are loaded with it. You can unzip the module for editing if you wish.

7) When I create new content for a campaign, do I have to transfer content to the player client, or is that all transmitted automatically??
Transfer happens automatically

8) I store all of my campaign data on an external HDD. I have a backup drive with identical copy of all my game data, so if there is a critical failure of a system, be it computer or primary HDD I am covered.
How does the license system work, and will it allow me to run my games from my HDD no matter what happens to the "host" computer? ie if a computer fails in the middle of a game session, I want to be able to plugin to a different computer and keep right on with the game.
Also, can my FG campaign be stored on my external HDD, and browsed to from FG?
The latter yes, the former I imagine so but am not an authority on this.

9) What is the largest map size FG will support? I have seen 50pix per cell, as a fairly standard size. We are not so much interested in amazing graphical quality as we are in display and information control.
So how many cells wide and across are optimal? What if I had a sprawling castle fortress complex of *arbitrary* 2000ft x 2000ft, (or even greater), how would one of you experienced users deal with this problem? ?
I keep maps (JPG or PNG) to under 800 kb for sharing ... depending on if it is a CC2/3 or Dundjinni ... I can get different scales of course. I usually have maps of about 200 to 250 feet square.

10) Can FG do hexes? I couldnt figure out how to do hexes in the DEMO?
No

11) Once the overlay mask is "painted" clear to reveal whats underneath, other than resetting the entire map, can a mask be "repainted" in particular areas? ?
Can a cleared area be re-masked ? No

12) Are pointers a sort of a light source? Why do they affect the grid? Why do they only affect the map when grid is on but not when grid is off?
Pointers are not a light source and should not affect the grid ... what effects are you seeing when you add them ?

Dachannien
April 3rd, 2007, 16:29
Note that while FG doesn't do hex grids, you can put a hex grid on the underlying map image. You just won't get the radius/length indicators when you use pointers, and the grid won't be resizable without changing the image itself.

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 16:34
Pointers are not a light source and should not affect the grid ... what effects are you seeing when you add them ?

I was using the DEMO map that comes with the demo, and I invoked the mask layer, and the grid

Then I created a circular pointer, and I noticed that each square the pointer "touched" and all squares within the area of the pointer changed tone slightly darker. The tonal change occurred as I dragged the pointer's center around, so in a way it was as if it might be used as an indicator for a radius effect of some kind

Sigurd
April 3rd, 2007, 16:35
If I understand your setup properly you have unique oportunities and possiblities here.

If I read you right you have a server and client in the same location. The client would be the one with the HD screen. FG stores all the data on the server which selectively shares it with the clients. The server has data the clients never see.

From the server machine you could unmask sections that would appear on the client machine. I think lou could log off the client, erase the map files across your network and then restart the client to renew masks. (Twould be a pain but I think it would work)

You likely don't have the same size reccomendations that internet games do because your bandwidth locally will be much better.

With only one client shared by all your players you might not want to use a ruleset at all. Its a one player - one character program and even if it weren't you'd have access problems as the others shared the client. If they have their own laptops etc... this would not be an issue.

It would be very cool to have a shared big map that everyone sees. You'd free up a lot of game client video real estate for playing.

Sigurd

Dachannien
April 3rd, 2007, 16:46
The circle and arc pointers shade in the grid squares that are touched to aid in figuring out what squares are within an area of effect described by the pointer.

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 16:55
If I read you right you have a server and client in the same location.

Yes that is precisely what I have setup.

Currently-
The server is my GM workstation as it were, and I have the HDTV attached to the GM workstation and display maps as they are encountered.
The players use the other computer to access a shared folder on my HDD that has char sheets and documents they discover in game, and to view maps etc and keep records and notes of their own

Imminent Future-
Possibly With FG, the player computer's video output would be sent to the 32 inch HDTV instead of the GM workstation, so we all see whats on the HDTV's screen, a "player" version of the world while I can view notes and GM stuff on the GM workstaion and not have to keep switching off the TV to do so

Sigurd
April 3rd, 2007, 17:38
Then before you worry about the rules, you should square away what the technology does.

FG could create a client interface on the big screen to automate the sharing of maps. It could allow you to send veiled maps and cut away sections as the players get to see them.

It is not completely automated on the client end because it assumes there will be a player there.

FG could take any number of other client machines (Laptops?) so long as each had a client license and was connected to your network. These clients could hold a custom char sheet (probably not created - although their might be help etc...) for whatever game you like. From your server the DM could check any char sheet and receive chat messages. Each client would also hold the same map available on the shared client which they could keep minimized to save space.

If you already have the network FG would be a logical step. I don't know that I would do it if without more client machines for the players. There is probably an elegant blackboard program out there for sharing images if thats all you're going to do.
Something with layers that will export partially hidden pictures would do most of your needs.

On the other hand having more DM support in the form of combat trackers etc... might be helpful.
Players with wireless laptops would definately make the game more elegant because they would share their dice rolls with you in real time.

Sigurd

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 17:49
There is probably an elegant blackboard program out there for sharing images if thats all you're going to do.
Something with layers that will export partially hidden pictures would do most of your needs.

There may be things out there like that. But I have another desire, and that is to play some online games too.

Sigurd
April 3rd, 2007, 18:04
There may be things out there like that. But I have another desire, and that is to play some online games too.

Agreed, I can't speak for other programs but I have to say on a simple 'DM gets to play for a change' level I've never had as many gaming opportunities as with Fantasy Gounds. No travel time, you don't have to schlep your stuff across the world and you don't even have to dress up.

What you might consider is getting the a full version just for you to game online and leave the at home stuff until you've seen the program yourself.

Sigurd

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 18:47
What you might consider is getting the a full version just for you to game online and leave the at home stuff until you've seen the program yourself.

Sounds like a plan. The cost is not a great factor, and from what I see, it might be worth the small investment

Thanks for the tips and info.

Celban
April 3rd, 2007, 22:23
I understand that Middle Earth aka Tolkien rulesets may be copyright entangled issues,

But how about CoC?

First, I am not entirely familiar with CoC to begin with, so I am wondering if the standard d20 ruleset would work for CoC

Second, are there any rulesets available for CoC?

btw- I bought a copy of FG so game on!

richvalle
April 4th, 2007, 00:49
In some sense, rulesets are overrated. Not that it should stop you from buying any from Digital Adventures or anything that FUM makes. :)

But, you don't really need them if everyone has access to the rule books. Heck, we do have access to the rule books AND have DA's excellent D20 SRD rules set but we still use the www.d20srd.org website to look up all rules, spells ect as it is just easier and convient to do so.

All you need is a character sheet and then just use FG to roll dice and move around maps and talk.

Game on! :)

rv

Stuart
April 4th, 2007, 08:37
In some sense, rulesets are overrated. Not that it should stop you from buying any from Digital Adventures or anything that FUM makes.

Thanks rv :p

Seriously, detailed rulesets are not essential to enjoy what FG can offer but I'm one of those who likes having the rules embedded in the app so that (as a GM) I d not have books and paper all over the table. I do however still use scraps of paper to record bits that do not fit on the FG character sheet or combat tracker ... I think FG 2 will improve things somewhat on that front.

I'd also add that a ruleset does not just have to have the mechanics, it can have information about the campaign setting such as deities, history, timelines, economy, maps etc etc.