PDA

View Full Version : Charged items with multiple actions

TheFlyingGribble
May 21st, 2020, 21:46
My players are just reaching the end of FRQ3 Doom of Daggerdale, and one of the unique magic items isn't in the module so I'm trying to create it.

The description is: "Colderan's Ring of Thorns is a unique item of his own creation. It allows him to cast entangle (1 charge), pass plant (2 charges), and wall of thorns (3 charges). The ring currently has 20 charges remaining."

Given the difference powers and varying number of charges for each power, the best I could come up was by dragging the 3 spells as powers, into a "Ring of Thorns" group name, with a separate item that the player needs to tick off the relevant number of charges before applying the effect. In the 'Actions / Powers' tab it looks like this:

Is there a better way to do this?

Cheers!

TFG

celestian
May 22nd, 2020, 03:25
My players are just reaching the end of FRQ3 Doom of Daggerdale, and one of the unique magic items isn't in the module so I'm trying to create it.

The description is: "Colderan's Ring of Thorns is a unique item of his own creation. It allows him to cast entangle (1 charge), pass plant (2 charges), and wall of thorns (3 charges). The ring currently has 20 charges remaining."

Given the difference powers and varying number of charges for each power, the best I could come up was by dragging the 3 spells as powers, into a "Ring of Thorns" group name, with a separate item that the player needs to tick off the relevant number of charges before applying the effect. In the 'Actions / Powers' tab it looks like this:

Is there a better way to do this?

Cheers!

TFG

There is a limit to how well it can be done with the varying style of magic items. The best you can do is have one power entry with charge count on that and then have multiple casts for each feature and place whatever effects go in those.

Then each time you cast it would tic of a charge, it wont use 2 or 3 so the player will need to be sure to properly add the other charges used.

TheFlyingGribble
May 22nd, 2020, 07:41
Thanks, I’ll give that a go.