PDA

View Full Version : Melee Sorcerer. Is this even workable?

Vos
May 21st, 2020, 15:56
First of all I won't play this unless there is a more traditional Arcane caster in the party. That is because I won't be taking Fireball or the standard area of effect spells, I will be focusing on single target spells, like Inflict Wounds. IW does 3D10 at first but it is also touch or nothing.

I like the idea of a multiclass dip that allows me to have armor, simply to be able to stand toe to toe with my opponent.
However, I will also have only a 13 to spare for that class, and I will need to survive for a level with just a 13.

I really only want a dip of a level or two before devoting the rest of my levels to Divine Soul Sorcerer.
One level of Fighter gives me all armor and weapons...but with a 13 I'll suck as a fighter and possibly hamper the party.
One or two levels of Cleric gives decent armor or better and cure spells will at least be useful to the party.
Hexblade two levels uses my CHA stat...one nice cantrip and Agonizing Blast to boost things up a bit.

Hex looks the easiest to make this work. Cleric opens ALL the spells at first level and makes me a bit more versatile.
Edit to add, I will be playing a Var Human and taking Magic Initiate Feat to start with (likely Wiz to get a familiar). And I will have some ranged spells.

So questions...
1) Is such a build viable in a party...especially since we will still need an arcane caster. (I consider the character a support character, not a main caster)
2) What would you dip into to make this work? I'm leaning towards a Cleric, but a Sorlock is a hard to beat combo.
3) is this too squishy with a D6 for melee?

LordEntrails
May 21st, 2020, 16:49
I've got a blade sorcerer in one of the party's I GM. They took 1 level in fighter and have been sorcerer since then. They are doing fine. (Mirror Image, shadow blade, etc are their typical spells)

Sure, at first level they might have been less than optimized, but me and my party don't really worry about that. Guess it depends on how important optimization is to you and your party.

Vos
May 21st, 2020, 18:25
That is encouraging. I had never seen another concept like mine, and thought that was because it was unworkable.
what level are you BTW?

LordEntrails
May 21st, 2020, 18:40
Not my character, I'm the DM. The characters are level 6.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
May 21st, 2020, 19:32
spells like misty step, blink, green flame blade and my personal favorite, Steel Wind Strike, greatly assist this build

GavinRuneblade
May 21st, 2020, 22:10
Hexblade two levels uses my CHA stat...one nice cantrip and Agonizing Blast to boost things up a bit.

Hex looks the easiest to make this work. Cleric opens ALL the spells at first level and makes me a bit more versatile.
Edit to add, I will be playing a Var Human and taking Magic Initiate Feat to start with (likely Wiz to get a familiar). And I will have some ranged spells.

So questions...
1) Is such a build viable in a party...especially since we will still need an arcane caster. (I consider the character a support character, not a main caster)
2) What would you dip into to make this work? I'm leaning towards a Cleric, but a Sorlock is a hard to beat combo.
3) is this too squishy with a D6 for melee?

If you're only going a few levels into it, and especially if you want to be melee, then eldritch blast is possibly the least optimal decision you can make with a lock dip. You want to specialize in it as a blaster, or it is taking away better options. However the 10' pull (rather than damage) is something that could work. You're not blasting for damage, you're blasting for flexibility, and yanking people off walls, ledges, ladders, etc. from 120' away or pulling someone into your allies' reach is much more helpful than a few bonus points of damage. Especially when you cross 5th level and can do it twice. But, instead, consider Misty Visions and False Life for your initial eldritch invocations. +8 temp hp (at will casting means first thing in the AM you just recast over and over 'till maxed, temp HP don't stack but you can replace existing HP with a higher new value).

Misty Visions is stupendously valuable for a melee combatant if you understand the RAW how illusions work, when people get saves against them and when they don't. The shortest version is that you can drop an opaque wall 15-feet long (curved however you like) and prevent enemies on the other side from getting opportunity attacks or seeing what your allies are doing without them getting a save because they can't see you or your allies moving on the other side of it and they don't get a save until they can spend an action to "interact with it". Also note the " If a creature discerns the illusion for what it is, the creature can see through the image." You know it is an illusion so you can see through it, and attack through it, and they still need to burn an action to try and disbelieve it and thus become able to see you. Neither of these invocations scale with level, so over time you're going to get less value out of them. But short of taking 5 levels in Warlock to get to things like cloak of flies, there aren't too many good options.

My recommendation is Giant Soul sorcerer if you have access to it (It is UA so not every GM allows it). In particular Fire Giant or Frost Giant. Divine soul adds some survival and access to cleric spells, but it's not really a melee-centric build, though it definitely has some good features (love virtue as a cantrip, but irrelevant if you go warlock and take false life). Frost Giant gives superior Armor of Agathys and free temp hp on rounds you attack, Fire Giant gives bonus damage and flaming sphere as an alternate to spiritual weapon as a way to weaponize your bonus action. Both do a lot to offset your HP. In particular the higher in level you get the more melee you gain from giant, whereas the only thing divine soul really gives you is more spell choices.

If you do want to dip cleric, then 1 or 2 levels of death would be ideal and gets you everything you probably wanted from divine soul. Most importantly check this out:
At 1st level, the cleric learns one necromancy cantrip of his or her choice from any spell list. When the cleric casts a necromancy cantrip that normally targets only one creature, the spell can instead target two creatures within range and within 5 feet of each other.
So you can spare the dying on 2 allies with one action. Or chill touch/toll the dead. As a sorc, you can quicken spell and do two cantrips in one round then death cleric lets you hit up to 4 targets with them; potentially grotesque damage until you run out of quicken spell. I mean, theoretically 5d12 from toll the dead 4 times in one round at 17th level. You also have access to the inflict wounds spell you wanted without needing divine soul sorc.
Second level isn't typically worth it unless you're going to 3 for the second level cleric spells, but the mini-smite of 9 (or 11) necrotic damage in melee isn't horrible.

Really, there are LOTS of ways to make this a viable build. I have seen melee sorcs and wizards who specialize in control effects (Earth Tremor, etc), pure damage, be tanky, super mobility, etc. Really what you want to do with it is what's important. Then just look at all the ways it can play out.