PDA

View Full Version : Campaign Cartographer 3 scale

Traygin
April 2nd, 2007, 05:17
When creating a map such as a floor plan for a house or dungeon etc… in Campaign Cartographer 3 or 2 what should the scale be set for when the Four Ugly Monsters tokens are used? If I create a default dungeon in CC3 and put in tables, barrels etc… the FUM tokens are very big thus the scale is way off. I now FG has a scaling feature in it but as you scale a small map to fit the FUM tokens the dungeon image degrades.

Griogre
April 2nd, 2007, 06:24
Most of the low res FUM tokens are based on 50 pixels square is 5 feet. I beleive the higher res ones are 75 or 100 pixels. You might ask over there.

Sigurd
April 2nd, 2007, 11:49
Sounds like you should scale the FUM tokens for your maps.

I've always heard 50 pixels to 5 feet but you could make it different.

Sigurd

Griogre
April 2nd, 2007, 20:25
I just answered your question above, but as Sigurd implied, it is important that the scale of your map grid be less than or equal to your token scale because while you can scale in on the map to make the squares on the map "larger" you can't zoom out the map past it's original scale.

Since you usually want to keep your map file sizes as small as possible you will have to wrestle with just how big to make your maps which will impact your scales. The most default scale most people use around here is 50 pixels for a 5 foot square, but you can use anything really. However if you use a small scale on your map and then are forced to zoom in a lot the map can looked "stretched". These is particularly true with jpegs or gifs, but these maps look fine and have smaller file size if your grid on the map is the same size or just a little smaller than the tokens.

Personally, I use tokens that are 32 pixels square for medium sized creatures which means I use a scale of 32 or less on my maps, often I use a scale of 20 pixels for a 5 foot square. You will just need to play around some with the scales.