PDA

View Full Version : Pirates of Drinax

jp1971
May 21st, 2020, 13:39
Hi all,

I'm loving the MGT2 ruleset. I just wrapped up Marooned on Marduk with my group last night.

Is anyone using Fantasy Grounds to run Pirates of Drinax? If so, would you mind sharing some pointers?

I'm new to Fantasy Grounds, but my understanding is that I could start a new campaign with the MGT2 ruleset and add story entries, NPCs, images, etc. as we go along.

Looking forward to any pointers you guys share.

Thanks!
Jameson

backwardoracle
May 21st, 2020, 16:08
The first thing its huge, really huge, your players can easily get sidetracked, and there are plenty of opportunities to do so.

You'll need dozens possibly hundreds of extra NPC's, put them in manageable chunks though, and maps lots & lots of lovely maps.

Make sure your crew can handle the main jobs on the Harrier, don't let them have too much stuff especially in the way of armour. Diplomacy is quite important try to get a "Face" among the pc crew. Really really flesh out the Allies, contacts etc. as these can be quite important. encourage you players to come up with various schemes to achieve goals, this will save you a lot of effort as to what the players actually want to do.

Adventure one, is pretty straightforward, but can have various consequences down the line & there are plenty of NPC's to interact with. encourage your PC's to think about this. Actions have consequences!

There is more so much more to this. I'd advise starting them off subsector (Sindal) and work out from there, Adventure one helps with this.

Ship combat can be avoided for the first adventure, so you can wait a bit till thats added (Coming soon) as its a straightforward (ish) chase.

Check the resources list for lots of things that will help you. I'm positive more will be added.

I've kept this brief as I know several of my players are on this forum.

you can drop me a line with any specific (spoiler) questions I'll gladly help

cheers

MadBeardMan
May 22nd, 2020, 00:33
Hi,

Backwardoracle speaks very wisely.

Make sure you read everything, understand the motives behind all of the NPC's and prepare for the time the Travellers go off and 'do something else'.

I've been working on the official conversion but it's a way off and it only provides you with the stuff in the books, not this extra content.

I started my team at Wardn, Lunion (Spinward Marches) then sent them into the Sword Worlds, down to District 268, across to Pax Rulin and now down to Sindal, where they'll pick up the hooks, I'm thinking of running Reach 5: The Borderland Run as it's based near to Drinax and is a great intro to the Aslan Hierate, they're not all angry warriors....

This has given me the time to convert Book 2, it's about 40% of the way through, which I've been sharing with them (as suggested) as they travel across the subsectors. Book 1 is converted upto the first 3 adventures, I've also got the story entries for the 1st adventure ready for when my Travellers get there.

High Guard is underway, it's almost done (I've stopped to get the v1.1.2 ruleset updated), should be back on it next week.

Cheers and good luck!
MBM

backwardoracle
May 28th, 2020, 14:37
:)
"prepare for the time the Travellers go off and 'do something else"
This is going to happen often, very often, my particular group is indeed so wrapped up in somethings that they sometimes forget the "big picture" the more they delve into the individual needs of planets and how to bring them into the "New Empire" or simply resort to basic raiding which gains a nice income, but without a place to trade it at a significant margin they will end up probably broke & hunted throughout the domain.

MadBeardMan
June 7th, 2020, 00:48
Folks,

Now that Referee's Briefings 1, 2 and 3 are with Smiteworks, and that Reach 4 is out, Reach 5 is waiting for live and Reach 6 is nearly with Smiteworks my focus now, outside of coding the ruleset is to complete the conversion for Pirates of Drinax. Now it'll need High Guard and Ship Combat, but let's not worry too much about that....

Cheers,
MBM

Panossqual
February 6th, 2021, 12:56
Folks,

Now that Referee's Briefings 1, 2 and 3 are with Smiteworks, and that Reach 4 is out, Reach 5 is waiting for live and Reach 6 is nearly with Smiteworks my focus now, outside of coding the ruleset is to complete the conversion for Pirates of Drinax. Now it'll need High Guard and Ship Combat, but let's not worry too much about that....

Cheers,
MBM

Any news on this? I would love to buy and run this adventure on FGC!
Thanks,
Panos

GregRex
February 6th, 2021, 13:49
@Panossqual MBM recently made a post about all MGT2 products in development here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65781-Official-Mongoose-Products-on-Fantasy-Grounds

It looks like it's close :)

jp1971
February 6th, 2021, 14:26
@Panossqual MBM recently made a post about all MGT2 products in development here:

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?65781-Official-Mongoose-Products-on-Fantasy-Grounds

So exciting!!!

Panossqual
February 6th, 2021, 15:18

I can't wait :-)

MadBeardMan
February 6th, 2021, 15:25
Morning All,

It's very close, with a good session or two it'll be sent off, then it needs to go through testing and then to SmiteWorks.

The Drinaxian Companion is hot on the heels though, I hope to have that finished within the next few weeks, same process for it.

I'll post here as soon as it's off for internal testing.

Cheers,
MBM

Panossqual
February 6th, 2021, 18:45
Thanks for sharing! I am holding off until it's ready, as it's such a heavy campaign that it would take me ages to build manually.

Stargrove
February 12th, 2021, 22:52
Not to hijack the thread but I am interested in reading this adventure. I have seen a black book called Pirates of Drinax on DriveThru RPG and a bunch of other books with both red covers, a few blues ones with Drinax in the name, and at least a couple of more normal looking ones that also have Drinax in the name. Now I do know from the old days (been a Traveller fan for a long time) that Drinax is a world in the Trojan Reach sector but beyond that do not know how all these books are related to each other. Can anyone provide some insight please?

Stargrove

MadBeardMan
February 13th, 2021, 12:57
Not to hijack the thread but I am interested in reading this adventure. I have seen a black book called Pirates of Drinax on DriveThru RPG and a bunch of other books with both red covers, a few blues ones with Drinax in the name, and at least a couple of more normal looking ones that also have Drinax in the name. Now I do know from the old days (been a Traveller fan for a long time) that Drinax is a world in the Trojan Reach sector but beyond that do not know how all these books are related to each other. Can anyone provide some insight please?

Stargrove

Hi Stargrove,

This is a great question. The easiest way to know what's 'New' and was part of the Kickstarter is to look at the wording, you'll see all books begin with 'Pirates of Drinax'. You'll notice a majority have single colour fronts with gold lettering and no art. The main books are all part of a splicase set, and the Books Marked I, II, III, IV, V and VI (Gods of Marduk etc) are all additional adventures expanding the main books.

Note those 'Patron' adventures are now re-printed in the recently released (hardback book just released) Drinax Companion.

Asides from those Patron adventures a few more PDF only books were released, these did have Artwork on the covers as they're more 'generic' and offer information such as on Theev or around the cluster of systems etc. Again, all these have the wording 'Pirates of Drinax' at the start ot the title.

Here's a link to a list of all the applicable books (as best I could filter).

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse.php?keywords=pirates+of+drinax&x=0&y=0&author=&artist=&pfrom=&pto=

Hope this helps,
Thanks,
MBM

MadBeardMan
February 13th, 2021, 13:05
Folks,

Here's an update on it. Next week sees a major CoreRPG update that affects MGT2 ruleset Once that's done with I'll be sending this, so by this time next week Pirates of Drinax Campaign will be off for internal testing and then Smiteworks testing.

v1.2.2 next week sees the addition of Spacecraft Battles (Encounters) being added. They also export to the SCT, so Pirates will also be updated to add these as soon as I've updated the internal tool to do so.

Excited.

Drinax Companion will follow very soon, please note it has re-printed the Patron Adventures (Gods of Marduk I, through to VI). I won't be releasing these for FG until post Drinax Companion and make sure it's clear if you own the Drinax Companion (which I do recommend) you don't buy them.

Cheers,
MBM

Stargrove
February 14th, 2021, 02:03
Ok, so to most effectively run this campaign what do you recommend that I get?

MadBeardMan
February 14th, 2021, 14:28
Ok, so to most effectively run this campaign what do you recommend that I get?

If I was coming into this without any knowledge and wanted to run that campaign i'd make sure I had:

Core Rulebook (2020 update version)
High Guard
Pirates of Drinax Campaign Box-set
Drinaxian Companion (if you buy this, DO NOT buy the other smaller Pirates of Drinax: titled PDF's, as all of them the Patron/Sector Info/Harrier Details) are all part of this book as well.

If I wanted to expand the Pirates Campaign even more, I'd look at the Shadows of Sindal book as it's got 3 more adventures (the 3rd is a cracker if you ask me), and they're written to tie in with the PoD campaign.

Now for the moment, the two Core books are in FG, and Pirates of Drinax is probably 2 months away (it's complete this side but has to go through testing/checks etc). Drinax Companion is hot on the heels of that (probably 6 weeks later) and then Shadows of Sindal is after that.

So depends when you want to start playing, though I love books and read them aside using FG to run them.

Cheers,
MBM

esmdev
February 20th, 2021, 13:29
If I was coming into this without any knowledge and wanted to run that campaign i'd make sure I had:

Core Rulebook (2020 update version)
High Guard
Pirates of Drinax Campaign Box-set
Drinaxian Companion (if you buy this, DO NOT buy the other smaller Pirates of Drinax: titled PDF's, as all of them the Patron/Sector Info/Harrier Details) are all part of this book as well.

If I wanted to expand the Pirates Campaign even more, I'd look at the Shadows of Sindal book as it's got 3 more adventures (the 3rd is a cracker if you ask me), and they're written to tie in with the PoD campaign.

Now for the moment, the two Core books are in FG, and Pirates of Drinax is probably 2 months away (it's complete this side but has to go through testing/checks etc). Drinax Companion is hot on the heels of that (probably 6 weeks later) and then Shadows of Sindal is after that.

So depends when you want to start playing, though I love books and read them aside using FG to run them.

Cheers,
MBM

Not to pile on the books but I would also recommend Central Supply Catalog for all campaigns cause players like stuff! :)

MadBeardMan
February 20th, 2021, 20:07
Hi Folks,

8pm here. Been putting some finishing touches and that's it. Had to email Mongoose as the Bug-Salvage class isn't in 2E/Mongoose Traveller, so it's now a Vulture-Class.

So what now? I need to export all the adventures again, make sure all works in FGU and then package up, should be with Smiteworks this time tomorrow.

The Drixanian Companion is then the conversion focus, after a massive ruleset update which is coming along, though due to reasons I've got to spend some time on VTM as that needs some love.

I'd suggest to you, if you can wait, I'd wait for both PoD and the Companion as it's worth it.

Cheers,
MBM

MadBeardMan
April 2nd, 2021, 22:53
And drum-roll..... it's gone over to Fantasy Grounds!

Yep - so now just a bit of testing and then should be ready for you all.

For your money you'll get:

14 Modules:

Campaign Reference Manual (includes the 10 adventures, plus details on how it all fits together)
Trojan Reach Reference Manual (includes stuff about Aslans, Drinax and other bits around the Campaign)
Ships of the Reach (includes all Aslan/Imperial ships in/around the Trojan Reach)

10 Adventure Modules - including all tokens, npc's, images, encounters/battles/spacebattles etc

Large Image of the Trojan Reach sector (largest I'm allowed to provide)

And not to forget all the various support files, hundreds of tokens for NPC's, Animals, Robots/Androids, Ships and Vehicles. All the new gear, vehicles and spacecraft, plus just lots of information

Enjoy all the hard work by Mongoose and then by myself and the small team here trying to squeeze it into FG's format.

Cheers,
MBM & the Team

Panossqual
April 2nd, 2021, 23:20
I have been looking forward for this! Can't wait to introduce my party to the Trojan Reach!
Thank you so much!

Guzalot
April 3rd, 2021, 00:39
Awesome! I've been looking forward to PoD for a long time. Thanks for all your hard work MBM!

johnecc
April 3rd, 2021, 04:01
Great job, MBM. You do amazing things for our enjoyment, and it is much appreciated.

adzling
April 3rd, 2021, 15:39
woot!

MadBeardMan
April 3rd, 2021, 17:13
Folks,

Also to let you know that once MoN (for Call of Cthulhu) is out the door, that's the end of my backlog for it, so more time for Traveller, which means I'll complete Drinaxian Companion then Shadows of Sindal as soon as, the Drinaxian Companion is already underway.

Huzzah