PDA

View Full Version : Question on the definition of Ruleset

Swingingahammer
May 20th, 2020, 01:37
I tried looking for the answer to my question but was not able to find it. I go to one of the paid subscriptions I will get access to rule-sets but not source materiel. Does that mean player can create their character using the rules for different races but not read the source materiel? So they could create a Warfordged Artificer and the character sheet would populate in FG, and you could use the source materiel you already have access to to understand the abilities?

LordEntrails
May 20th, 2020, 03:13
Welcome :)

Rulesets = mechanics and character sheets. i.e. the 5E ruleset knows that an attack is against an Armor Class, and that skills are based on an attribute and may have a proficiency modifier. It does not equal or included the contents of races, classes or any other items.

Modules = source material / DLC / 'books' and 'adventures' etc. These contain the details of races, classes, items, etc.

A GM or player can create a character with just access to a ruleset, but they will have to know what to put in the character sheet. They will have to know what their abilities are, what damage a weapon does etc.

NOTE, D&D 3.5E, Pathfinder, D&D 5E all come with SRD (and Basic Rules) content free. These are modules that have a limited amount of source material and can be used to create characters with drag & drop type functionality and the GM and players can all read the modules (assuming the GM allows it).

Swingingahammer
May 20th, 2020, 03:18
Thanks, that is what I wanted to know.