PDA

View Full Version : So, what is this? Is this just a forum for posting questions?

catowonky
May 19th, 2020, 23:25
Hello, someone sent this to me and I don't see what this website is offering. Is this just a chat room for game questions? The home tab just takes me to a splash screen of game names.

Is there some place that tells me what this site is doing?

Thank you.

LordEntrails
May 20th, 2020, 01:03
This is a website for a computer program called Fantasy Grounds. It is a Virtual Table Top used for playing Role Playing Games using a computer so they can be facilitated for either in person or online play.

Have you watched the video from the front page? https://youtu.be/3947l6O6DGU

The list of games are systems supported and with licensed content. You can click on any of them to see exactly which products/books/DLC is available for the given game system (called a ruleset in FG).

Are you familiar with RPGs? Is there one that you play? Or would like to start playing? Perhaps your in-person game is on hold during COVID and you might want to start playing again while everyone stays home?

catowonky
May 20th, 2020, 01:30
Okay, so this is another version of roll20. Someone said it was something to create maps with? But, I didn't see anything like that in that video. Since I am a new person to stop by and attempt to check out this site, I would have thought there would be more information on what is offered. I may or may not be someone with cash to spend and the owners of this site might want to present more of what is available to newcomers. All I saw were books and prices. There was also a list of what one might purchase beyond a "basic" download. However, no description of what those items were. Newbee here, very lost, site should help with that. Thank you for responding.

seycyrus
May 20th, 2020, 03:16
No, this is Fantasy Grounds, a product that is far superior to r20.

The upcoming version of Fantasy Grounds - Fantasy Grounds Unity has the capability to create maps etc. That is but one of the amazing things it will offer.

Perhaps you might ask "someone" what exactly they were referring to when they sent you here? You are posting in the Pathfinder subforum by the way.

Another by the way, I am not an employee of Fantasy Grounds, nor do I hold any position on this forum. Most of the people here are really friendly and would love to help you, even though they don't work for Fantasy Grounds either.

What experience do you have with map making software?

LordEntrails
May 20th, 2020, 03:28
I can see if you didn't know what a Virtual Table Top is the homepage could be confusing :)

If you want to see some of what FG offers, there are lots of videos and the User Manual; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/filelibrary/FantasyGroundsUserManual.pdf

If you click on the FG Classic or FG Unity banners on the home page you will get taken to a page that talks more about what FG is, what each version has in terms of features and why you might want one version versus the other.

Since you said you were interested in map making, here's a quick demo (video at the bottom) of uses tiles to create maps in FGU; https://fantasygroundsunity.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/FGU/pages/918264/Creating+Maps+with+Tiles

dellanx
May 23rd, 2020, 20:36
Hello, someone sent this to me and I don't see what this website is offering. Is this just a chat room for game questions? The home tab just takes me to a splash screen of game names.

Is there some place that tells me what this site is doing?

Thank you.

Go to Home and download, the rest is history!

catowonky
May 23rd, 2020, 20:55
"The rest" would be pricey. I would prefer to know what I was buying before I lay down cash for something, Dellanx. Since I stopped by here to see what it was all about and had a bit of difficulty, I would not be quick to point fingers at potential buyers. Saying just buy it without a much better form of product overview for people who do not know your product would be very helpful for both of us.

Thank you all for responding. Be well.

stephan_
May 23rd, 2020, 21:16
The intention might have been to try out the demo version.

seycyrus
May 23rd, 2020, 21:48
The intention might have been to try out the demo version.

Or to use the free trial period...

catowonky
May 23rd, 2020, 22:07
...Or, tell the potential buyers what it is that you are selling.

tahl_liadon
May 23rd, 2020, 22:55
okay.

i was gonna leave this alone, but i'll be the bad guy and say it... because once in a while, we get someone like this, feeling entitled like this op and spew snarkiness.

so if one clicks to go "home," it says at the very top: Fantasy Grounds is the most supported virtual tabletop, with more official licenses than any other virtual tabletop. (it's. a. virtual. table. got it?)

if you don't know what a vtt is, the onus is on you to find out more info -- here or wherever.

if you're looking to have lots of info spoon fed to you about vtt (as your very first post is doing), and not bother to take time to poke around and read up / research on your own, then be nice about it. ask smarter questions. or just ask at least good questions.

the site is selling a vtt software. you've already recognized that: "Okay, so this is another version of roll20." so to me that sounds like you know what you're talking about and looking for.

then you proceed to ramble on about pricing and this and and that. and others are still really nice and provide you info, hinting at just poke around and learn.

but no, you continue to be snarky and and showing no initiative. newbie or not, it's still up to you to find out about the product on your own. yea, this site could be designed to look like a splashy ecommerce site and go heavy on the sell. you made your point that it could improve. but then you use it to make it become a crutch for the site, it's just annoying to sit on the sideline and hear you b!tch and moan. are you sure you're not a troll from the competitor? because you're starting to sound like one.

people are nice and *very* helpful here; they are patient and are always solution-oriented. you are just putting in zero efforts.

seycyrus
May 24th, 2020, 00:31
...Or, tell the potential buyers what it is that you are selling.

Been answered several times already. The best virtual table top out there.

dellanx
May 24th, 2020, 02:18
I am a user, and do not work for smiteworks. I am sure that most of these guys that responded are also GMs and users. The demo version is free. Try out the demo version and play in some games in the LFG forums. I have been playing since 2016, and that is how I stared. catowonky, it only costs you money if you intend to host a game. It is the best VTT on the market, with the best support, not just words it is fact.

esmdev
May 24th, 2020, 03:04
There is also a video on the home page that provides samples of the product.

seycyrus
May 24th, 2020, 04:59
There is also a video on the home page that provides samples of the product.

And videos all over the internet.

Trenloe
May 24th, 2020, 08:11
@catwonky's account has changed to guest. They probably won’t be reading these responses.