PDA

View Full Version : Attack rolls switching to advantage for no reason in 5E

Chris103
May 19th, 2020, 14:44
I didnt want to post this as a bug yet in case it already is, I did search bu did not see anything about it.

I have players that during combat their attack rolls start being rolled with advantage for no rhyme or reason. I think most of them are using hotkeys to roll if that makes a difference

Right now it is happening randomly and I can't figure out why. Its tough to bug hunt because it only happens when I'm running a a big combat and the last thing I want to do is figure out why it is rolling advantage.

I just wanted to know is this happening to anyone else? and has it been posted as a bug yet. I've had it happen in a couple of the updates...

esmdev
May 19th, 2020, 14:50
I didnt want to post this as a bug yet in case it already is, I have players that during combat heir attack rolls start being rolled with advantage.

Right now it is happening randomly and I can't figure out why. Its tough to bug hunt because it only happens when I'm running a a big combat and the last thing I want to do is figure out why it is rolling advantage.

I just wanted to know is this happening to anyone else? and has it been posted as a bug yet. I've had it happen in a couple of the updates...

Yes, I have had it happen for awhile (read: years). It doesn't seem to have any set pattern and happens randomly so it's hard to report. It doesn't happen so often that I just house ruled if it happens the PC or NPC got lucky.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2020, 15:40
This will usually happen if there is some effect active that is causing the roll to have advantage.

You can look back in your chat record to see if this was the case - look at chatlog.html in the <FG app data>\campaigns\<campaign name> directory. See if the attack roll has [EFFECTS] in the description when the attack was rolled with advantage.

Or, another cause is that there is an extension that may be causing the advantage - like an effects extension or the 5E Combat Enhancer or something similar.

LordEntrails
May 19th, 2020, 16:31
Is their also a shortcut (ctrl, alt, shift...) that makes rolls with advantage? (I can't remember, but I know their is one for criticals). If that key is being pressed as part of push to talk, you can see this behavior.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2020, 16:35
Not as standard, but this extension (and maybe others) does: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44212-Advantage-amp-Disadvantage-hotkey-extension&highlight=Advantage

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2020, 16:35
It could also be that the target has a condition on them - such as being prone, paralysed, petrified, restrained, stunned or unconscious.

Grommit57
May 19th, 2020, 23:42
yep, we had a problem this last weekend where one of the players kept rolling double damage. but I discovered it was only if he rolled while talking. push to talk can cause weird things.
Sometimes it's hard to find a push to talk key that doesn't mess something up in game.

LordEntrails
May 20th, 2020, 00:00
yep, we had a problem this last weekend where one of the players kept rolling double damage. but I discovered it was only if he rolled while talking. push to talk can cause weird things.
Sometimes it's hard to find a push to talk key that doesn't mess something up in game.
Mouse Button 5, as long as your mouse driver doesn't also map it to shift!

Grommit57
May 20th, 2020, 01:04
I would need to manual to figure out which button is 5. Just kidding. I got a razor mamba, I can program mouse buttons for lots of things. (there's like 9 buttons on this thing). Just had him pick different key and things were fine.

Chris103
May 20th, 2020, 10:28
Thanks for the comments guys, I do not think it is an extension, since I have not added any to unity. I've not wanted to since its still in Beta. The only thing I have added are a couple external mod files, I will definitively check to see if there is a condition present in the chat log, because I am pretty sure that this has happened when there are not any in the chat log. Push to talk definitely might be part of it, but currently we are using Zoom could that be interfering?

Its weird though, once it starts happening it doesn't stop, and sometimes it will only happen on one players weapon and not the other. which is why I am thinking it might not be an effect regardless thanks for the help I'll try to problem solve a bit more. Cheers!

Jan van Leyden
May 20th, 2020, 11:51
Do the rolls erally happen with advantage or are there only two separate rolles? This happend to one of my players yesterday. Only, it wasn't a bug as he tended to doubleclick his attack button.

Jiminimonka
May 20th, 2020, 12:08
Push to talk - CAPS LOCK - nothing uses that. Just remember to not TYPE IN CAPS!

Chris103
May 20th, 2020, 13:09
Do the rolls erally happen with advantage or are there only two separate rolles? This happend to one of my players yesterday. Only, it wasn't a bug as he tended to doubleclick his attack button.

No its definitely advantage. It rolls and drops the lower, and once it starts it wont stop.