PDA

View Full Version : I've lost all my campaign data!

Miles C
May 19th, 2020, 00:31
When I tried loading up my campaign this afternoon, I received a pop-up message informing me that a file had been corrupted and that FG would load a backup file instead. When I finished loading into the campaign, all my data was gone. It was as if I had just started a fresh campaign. I quit out of FG, located the db.backup file I wanted (a file from 2 days ago, my group's last session), copied it, then changed the name to "db". I then loaded up my campaign again in FG. Most of my data was restored. What I'm still missing, though, are allllll the changes I had made to the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure. All of the NPCs, Stories, Encounters, Items, and Maps I had created or edited from the Lost Mine module are still gone. It's as if I just purchased the Lost Mine module and loaded it up for the first time. Is there any way for me to recover all of this data? Are there files other than the backup.db file that I need to change or recover somehow?

I've attached a few pictures of the folders that I think are relevant. PLEASE HELP!!!

LordEntrails
May 19th, 2020, 00:40
In the moduledb folder rename the LMOP file to _old. Then copy and rename the latest LMOP backup file and restart your campaign.

Miles C
May 19th, 2020, 00:46
The most recent backup LMOP file is showing that it was last modified on 5/4/2020 which was two weeks ago. Does this mean that I've effectively lost everything from the past 2 weeks?

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2020, 01:00
No. The above is the wrong instruction.

First back up the campaign folder. Then in the original rename the db.xml to dbold. The rename the latest session.xxxxxxx.xml file to db.xml and then start your campaign. If that doesn’t work try the next one.

Miles C
May 19th, 2020, 01:09
No. The above is the wrong instruction.

First back up the campaign folder. Then in the original rename the db.xml to dbold. The rename the latest session.xxxxxxx.xml file to db.xml and then start your campaign. If that doesn’t work try the next one.

I've done what you suggested and I'm still having the same issue. I've recovered all of my data except for any work I did in the last 2 weeks. The missing data appears to be specific to the Lost Mine of Phandelver adventure module. After doing what LordEntrails suggested, I was able to recover most of the LMOP data, but I'm still missing all the work I did in the last 2 weeks.

Zacchaeus
May 19th, 2020, 09:18
From your screenshots it looks like the last things that you did on the LMoP module was in early April. There's no further file in the moduledb folder later than that which suggests that whatever happened anything after early April did not get saved.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2020, 11:25
Those backup files are indicating that FG didn't exit cleanly - either via a crash or not being able to write data correctly when exiting.

I think we should try to identify why this is happening - to minimize data issues in future, and also help to explain why your data is missing.

Has FG crashed (exited) on you, or have you force terminated it?
Do you use any active sync/backup or cloud data solutions on your FG data?

Nylanfs
May 19th, 2020, 18:10
Also how do you normally exit FG.

Trenloe
May 19th, 2020, 18:15
Also how do you normally exit FG.
They're running windows (based off the screenshots in post #1). So, assuming FG isn't being force terminated, it's OK to exit with the window X button.

readymeal
August 23rd, 2020, 05:42
good day everyone,

reopening this thread. I have followed the above instructions (changing the sessions to db) then decided to do the same with the back up ones... no luck...

this is what i get.38738

Update: i got it back from an old session finally after checking the faulty line, i realised some data was missing, i checked with an older one and full data was there. pfff feels better now

Nylanfs
August 24th, 2020, 16:51
Now make a backup, and then a backup of the backup to a separate physical drive, and then a backup of the backup of the backup to a cloud location, and then a backup to the backup of the backup of the backup to a large enough flashdrive that you keep in your hidden safe. :)

bmos
August 24th, 2020, 18:35
There are never enough backups :)