PDA

View Full Version : For future inclusion/extension versioning?

jkb619
May 18th, 2020, 19:24
Rather than having to hit the forums to look for updates, perhaps a tie to github to allow versioning and 'all in one place' visualization of extensions/mods for FGU. Allow the getting of the extension and versioning to point out incompatible extensions/modules? I've seen some great extensions, but most have to be located by a question in the forums which leads you down the rabbithole to the location of the actual ext.

Trenloe
May 18th, 2020, 19:55
Something like this is a nice idea.

However...

Things similar to this have been tried in the past. To make it work, it has to be super easy for everyone to use - especially the extension devs themselves. If they can't quickly and easily share their extension with the community then we sometimes miss out on cool modifications. In addition, that dev then needs to come back to the repository, upload any updates when needed, add in minimum versions, requirements, etc., etc.. It just doesn't happen - and we're speaking from experience here.

And then, if it does happen, and if there is an automated way to update we get blind updates of software that goes through little QA, that can actually cause more issues as people aren't keeping track of what's been updated etc..

But would probably only have a chance of working if someone worked pretty much full time on doing something like this. Trawling the threads for new or updated extensions, checking for issues, maybe even doing compatibility tests, creating pre-reqs, incompatibilities, etc..

Like I said, it's a nice idea... but...

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2020, 20:10
As Trenloe said, it's been tried before. If someone wants to step up and (try to) make it happen, they are more than welcome to :) I'm sure it would be greatly appreciated.