PDA

View Full Version : First Unity Session, was not really a good experience

Danimal66
May 18th, 2020, 05:18
I fully realize we are in beta / early release but after my experience tonight I'm not sure this program is ready to launch any time soon. My players were very frustrated and while the LOS was cool once we got it working I'm not sure it is worth the amount of lag we experienced. I'm just going to post all of our impressions / experiences in bullet point form but for reference I am running Dragon of Icespire, I have a high speed internet and a high end computer.

1. Lag: I can't express how unresponsive the program is. Once I get a server running any menu item I click on takes 10-15 second to appear, character sheets are the same. Players has issues targeting all night to the point where I had to target for every one. At one point I wanted to drag a monster into a room to spice up the combat that was going on. That process of clicking the NPC button, filtering by undead and dragging the monster to the CT which would of taken 30 second to a minute in FGC took me around 3 minutes while waiting for the engine to catch up to my inputs. Of everything we experienced tonight this was by far the biggest issue, hell it made FGC seems like a Ferrari and FGU a horse drawn carriage.

2. LOS: I thought I had LOS down but the majority of the videos are how to set up LOS on maps not how to use it. At first it wasn't working at all when I turned it on, then the players couldn't see monster tokens or other player tokens even when right next to each other. Finally I hit some magic combination of buttons and it worked for the most part. I ended up removing the mask layer as it was just more work to unmasked for LOS. I asked in another thread why I would use both and got a reply but now that I tried it I don't see the point. I'm not sure if LOS was the reason for all the lag or not.

3. It appears a feature lost in the move from FGC was the token lock. I have impatient players so I liked the fact they would need to plot their moves and then for me to approve them. Maybe I just couldn't find it but it appears this is gone.

4. My players couldn't see targeting arrows or ranges when they did actually target someone on their own. I could see these as DM but they couldn't Is this also gone?

5. Even though this was our first session earlier in the week I made sure everyone could connect. Tonight everyone of them tried to use the history link to get back to my server and it didn't work. They needed to find me in the list, which kind of makes the history part useless unlesss I am missing something.

6. When my players moved their tokens they experience major lag, I could move them without issue but I watched them try to move them and it was terribly slow.

Over all it wasn't a positive experience and they want to go back to FGC next week unless I can figure out why the session was so unresponsive.

Thanks
Dan

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2020, 05:36
I'm sure the devs will appreciate your feedback.

As you know, FGU is indeed in Beta. It sounds like you didn't have something like a Session 0 where everyone just got together to learn how FGU works differently than FGC. If you chose to try FGU again, I suggest you do something informal like that. It will help reduce the frustration of trying to learn a new application when you are also trying to run a game session.

#1 has been reported and is known. It is a performance issue that they are working.
#2 LOS may not be intuitive and is something that took me a little bit to figure out. Also not that vision/party vision has changed default behavior in one of the last updates. It doesn't make sense to me yet, but I need to spend more time on it. And yes, LOS takes a lot of computation. Especially if tokens are being dragged with the mouse. Use the arrow keys to move tokens, it causes less drag since FG doesn't need to computer hundreds of positions as you drag the token.
#3 is documented in the FGU forums stickies. It has not yet been implemented.
#4 this might be a bug with the new "Party Vision" setting. If you enable party vision, targeting arrows should be visible once more.
#5 History has worked for me both as GM and player, but if it continues not to work for you, you should follow up. Note, that your players need to make sure to wait until you have fully entered into tabletop mode and FG is open for you (the host).
#6 see #2, use the arrows

Danimal66
May 18th, 2020, 06:01
I'm sure the devs will appreciate your feedback.

As you know, FGU is indeed in Beta. It sounds like you didn't have something like a Session 0 where everyone just got together to learn how FGU works differently than FGC. If you chose to try FGU again, I suggest you do something informal like that. It will help reduce the frustration of trying to learn a new application when you are also trying to run a game session.

#1 has been reported and is known. It is a performance issue that they are working.
#2 LOS may not be intuitive and is something that took me a little bit to figure out. Also not that vision/party vision has changed default behavior in one of the last updates. It doesn't make sense to me yet, but I need to spend more time on it. And yes, LOS takes a lot of computation. Especially if tokens are being dragged with the mouse. Use the arrow keys to move tokens, it causes less drag since FG doesn't need to computer hundreds of positions as you drag the token.
#3 is documented in the FGU forums stickies. It has not yet been implemented.
#4 this might be a bug with the new "Party Vision" setting. If you enable party vision, targeting arrows should be visible once more.
#5 History has worked for me both as GM and player, but if it continues not to work for you, you should follow up. Note, that your players need to make sure to wait until you have fully entered into tabletop mode and FG is open for you (the host).
#6 see #2, use the arrows

This is helpful and I just found a good video on using LOS as opposed to setting it up. But it brings up another questions, as DM tonight all my player tokens has kind of a green layer / mask over them when they weren't selected and I'm not seeing that in the tutorial video. What is that green mask representing?

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2020, 06:13
Green mask? Doesn't ring a bell to me. Maybe a screen shot would make it apparent to me. Or maybe someone else know what you are referring to?

(By chance, you didn't add a Night Vision FX layer right?)

Danimal66
May 18th, 2020, 06:33
Green mask? Doesn't ring a bell to me. Maybe a screen shot would make it apparent to me. Or maybe someone else know what you are referring to?

(By chance, you didn't add a Night Vision FX layer right?)

I'll grab a screen shot and re-post, but no I didn't add a night / dark vision layer, didn't even know that was supported.

Also in regards to #4 targeting arrows your answer is correct but I hope that is a bug or oversight. I don't want to have party vision on for my players to be able to see targeting arrows. I don't really like party vision it shows to much to the players but no targeting arrows is an issue.

Danimal66
May 18th, 2020, 06:36
Here is what I am talking about with the green in GM view.

ChoTimberwolf
May 18th, 2020, 07:26
O think green means friendly and red hostile and yellow neutral. That would be my guess regarding the colors

DwightLee
May 18th, 2020, 13:18
Yes the program is in beta so I have not complained much, I do test FGU occasionally but for me it is just not ready for prime time and do not run any of my actual games on it yet.

The primary things that keep me from using it are

#1 No large fonts ( Im old, by eyesight is not that good )
#2 It takes to long to load Syrenscape Sounds from DM guild ( Syrenscape is an integral part of our play )
#3 Cannot lock tokens, and have DM approve movement ( this is a very big deal to my play groups )
#4 Cannot alter mood of the UI on the fly ( E.G mood lighting extention )
#5 General slowness ( you click on Story plaque and wait 30 seconds for it to load... etc )

I love the direction FGU is going, and I understand it is a beta and not optimized yet... hopefully someday it will be ready for prime time. But as it is, It just takes too long to do anything in Unity for now.

LordEntrails
May 18th, 2020, 17:32
Here is what I am talking about with the green in GM view.

Ah. Yes, green means those are friendly, but they are translucent because their visibility is hidden. Make sure they are shown on the CT and right click on the token and adjust it's visibility. (Though it could be just that they are hidden by LOS from the current/active token, not sure which case this is).

Flyteach
May 18th, 2020, 22:49
@Danimal 66, can you please post a link to the specific video you found? It would probably help a lot of us with questions.