PDA

View Full Version : Best Battle Map Creation Software & Bonus Questions

Roastbeef
May 17th, 2020, 12:19
Greetings everyone, Lieutenant Newbs here reporting in!

I am happy to report that I have purchased Fantasy Grounds along with pretty much every Pathfinder 1st edition accessory / sourcebook available on the site (not the adventure campaigns though-- I would prefer to create my own...I don't see the fun in just going through the motions with someone else's static adventure). I'm somebody who likes to have a huge library of classes, feats, spells, races, monsters etc. and rule options available to me for both the creation of characters and campaigns.
This is why I am waiting for Pathfinder 2nd edition to build up over time with more books...I do intend on getting into this edition as well at some point (I like the fact that you can take character customization ever further with the wide choice of feats at every level... no two characters from the same class ever play exactly the same way).

Anyways, I am merrily plunking away with the books and program while watching a ton of youtube videos to take notes on combat and the like to get more comfortable with the 3.5 - 3.75+++ system (or whatever you would like to call it :)).

I have the following questions for you Fantasy Grounds veterans:

1) What is the best battle map software available out there? I am more interested in battle map software that can be used to plot out tactical combat on a detailed (lots of items, furniture and other objects you can use to decorate the maps) encounter / small area map as opposed to world building - creating a large continental map (I would prefer wilderness, urban and dungeon areas as well). I'm thinking of using the Forgotten Realms setting as the world for my first campaign all the same. I've been doing research and right now I am looking at Mapforge and Arkenforge as the two primary contenders. I know that Arkenforge is made to be compatible with Fantasy Grounds (this is a huge plus), but I feel that Mapforge has more content and their maps just look more appealing to me (the art style).

Which of these two programs would you consider the most functional and easy to use? Do you have other suggestions for other software that might be better and cheaper?
How easy is it to take one of your created maps and export it to Fantasy Grounds to properly apply the squares necessary to gauge combat?

2) Where can we find information on how to properly enter new spells, equipment, feats and the like into Pathfinder? What I mean: Is there available information on how exactly to correctly enter new spells, feats, weapons, armor etc into the program so that these new additions will be recognized and operated properly within the software during battles and the like? Is there a certain format you need to follow? Entering new items is easy enough, but I would like to make certain that I am entering the information correctly in order to have the database and software run the effects properly...I do not feel like spending a large chunk of my time adding hundreds of new items in the system only to have them not be entered correctly and not be recognized by the program's functions.

Are there any available utilities or software out there that make the process easier / ensure that your new items are properly programmed - formatted?

I have a bunch of physical - hard cover D&D 3.5 Forgotten Realms sourcebooks (Races of Faerun, Underdark, Champions of Ruin etc) that I would like to input into the program to give me even more options. I would like to start adding all the spells, feats, classes and other items from those books at some point.

3) How do you include all the newly entered items (feats, classes, races, equipment, spells entered by yourself) into the library of all the items already available to me through the official Pathfinder 1st edition sourcebooks I have purchased?
Must you add your manually entered items somewhere else or can you just add them into the list of spells, classes, races, feats already available to you in a campaign when you open up all the other modules you want to use for the campaign?

4) I've noticed that the Pathfinder 1st edition library on the Fantasy Grounds site is not complete: you are missing a few of the Bestiaries and other books that are still available elsewhere in the hardcover - soft cover formats.
Does Fantasy Grounds have any plans to keep releasing new books (I know that they have released that Planar book recently) or is this it for 1st edition?

As always, thank you very much for your help!

- Chris

Trenloe
May 17th, 2020, 12:25
Please don't do a single post with generic questions and also system specific questions. It ends up with the thread becoming a mess and wastes the time of people who are trying to help you. You're allowed to post more than one thread - as long as you're not posting duplicating questions across multiple threads. :) Please post the system specific questions in the sub-forum for that RPG system. Thanks.

LordEntrails
May 17th, 2020, 17:28
Since #1 is generic, I'll answer that one here. As suggestion, the PF specific question is better asked, and answered, in the PF sub-forum :)

I have not used Arkenforge or Mapforge, so I can't say which is better or more appropriate for what you want. I will say I use Campaign Cartographer 3+ with the Dungeon Design and City Designer add-ons for battle-map making. Combined with the symbol collections from the Vintyri Collection/Project I doubt you will run out of symbols. One of the strengths of CC3+ is that you are not limited to a single style. You can create your own styles or use one of the many dozens either included with CC3+, from one of the add-ons, through a Symbol Set, or from one of the Annuals. For instance, if you like Mike Schley's style, you can get Symbol Set 4, which Mike did to mimic his style. Or you can get the Herman Weilink's style from the annuals.

CC3+ is based on a vector CAD program (with bitmap support and effects) so it is extremely powerful. But like FG, it may not be simple too learn. Especially since it does not work like other graphic programs (because its) not. IMO, CC3+ (once you get to know how to use it) can get you 80-90% of the way to a professionally rendered cartographer's map, even if you are not an artist faster than and more versatile than any other program. But, it will take time to learn it, and it will cost money to purchase. The other aspect to be aware of; CC3+ is based upon a 32bit CAD program/kernel and probably will never be adapted to a more modern 64bit engine, therefore in 10 years it probably will no longer be viable for most people.

For other views on map making software, see; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?20879-Map-Making-Software-summary

Roastbeef
May 17th, 2020, 22:28
Thank you for the responses!

I will keep the Pathfinder stuff in the appropriate place on the forums in the future. My apologies.

I've purchased CC2 way back in the day and I remember understanding more or less how to make anything half decent with it. Eventually, I lost interest and my CD is still floating somewhere... probably in a dusty box somewhere.
I would prefer something that is a little more point and click.

Thank you for providing that link on the other map software.

LordEntrails
May 17th, 2020, 23:56
Note that FGU has map making built in. It doesn't have all the functions of a dedicated map making program yet, but it shows promise of getting better.

SirMotte
May 18th, 2020, 00:10
I use Wonderdraft, Dungeondraft, Figma and Adobe Photoshop for all my needs. You may also want to look at Dungeonfog.

BronzeDodger
May 18th, 2020, 06:08
Second Dungeonfog. Very easy to hit to the ground running - though their curved-wall drawing can be super precise, it takes a toll on your refresh/CPU (I think with each curve you draw it recalculates all curves. So doing a map with mostly right angles is lightning fast. And if you only have a few curves, no biggie. But a huge cave system or the like might grind things to a half. But having never used any map software, and not wanting to survive a steep learning curve, it hit the spot. I got maps for multiple chapters done and detailed very quickly.

seycyrus
May 18th, 2020, 06:48
CC3+ user here. It's by far the best out there.

Griogre
May 18th, 2020, 07:28
CC3 is by far the professional choice, IMO with adobe (or GIMP). However if you don't need that level, I'm using DungeonDraft right now for speed and ease but less options and I have used Dungeon Painter Studio in the past as a more complex option than DungeonDraft while being a bit more complex to use but still much less powerful than CC3.