PDA

View Full Version : Player Constantly Crashes Upon Connecting

Thymine
May 17th, 2020, 02:29
Hey guys and gals!

Hopefully somebody might be able to shed some light onto this problem my group has been facing, I have searched for solutions online and will go over the methods I have tried but nothing has worked yet. Here we go!

I host a 5e game on Fantasy Ground Classic for the last three weeks with four players and myself (DM). The first two weeks there were no issues everyone was able to connect without issue, all the files saved properly between sessions and all images were shared perfectly. This last sessions, last week, one player was unable to join the game. Upon attempting to connect their game would 'crash', it would bring up the connecting box them immediately close the program with no error screen or not responding message. Further investigations have yielded that this is happening to some other games he attempts to join as well, in addition all other players are able to join my session without issue. There were no changes to their game settings nor there network settings in between sessions.

Naturally I thought it to be a problem on their end some kind of network or software issue. To dot some i's for my end my port is forwarded for my internal ip on port 1802 on both UDP and TCP, my firewall (windows defender) also allows FGC fully. As stated before all other players are able to join my session without issue. I use Windows 10 Home, run the game through Steam using the FGC Demo client updated to FGC Ultimate via subscription.

Here is what we have tried so far:

Reinstall the program. They originally downloaded the game through Steam using the FGC Demo during which we made sure to verify the game files as well we have disabled the Steam overlay (which is atrocious anyways but that is neither here nor there). This did not work so we tried installing it via the FG main website. Also we have made sure to completely delete all Steam files as well as the %appdata% folder for FG and reinstalled.
We made sure that the there wasn't a memory leak for the program. They have 8gb ddr3 and their maximum usage was 61% while running the program and voice chat.
Sometimes we have had success getting them to join if they joined a blank campaign which obviously isn't ideal, the last night we couldn't get them to join myself nor any other player hosting.
Disabled their firewall.

They currently run windows 7 (all other users run win10 not sure why that'd be an issue) we've recently had them connect to the old campaign after repeated attempts 12+ over half an hour with no changes to either parties settings.

If there is any other pertinent information you can think of feel free to ask! I'd love to get this sorted as we are currently burning through an hour or more each session trying to get the program to work and sometimes then we won't be able to get it to work at all.

Thanks for the read and hopefully the reply.

Cheers,
Thymine - DM

damned
May 17th, 2020, 03:04
Hi Thymine

If they are crashing when connecting to other games too its not your end.
Something at their end is not working right.

Please have them post any crash info, any screenshots etc.

LordEntrails
May 17th, 2020, 05:26
How big does the process fantasygrounds.exe get on their computer when they are trying to connect?

Are they running Windows 32 bit or 64 bit o/s?

Thymine
May 17th, 2020, 20:20
Thanks for the replies, they're not online right now but when they do log on I'll get those details for both of you.

@damned, I do agree that it is most likely on their end as I don't have any other issue with other people joining. Unfortunately the program just executes there is no crash info or error message. It goes from the join campaign on the main menu briefly shows connecting then the program closes. I'll get them to run their event viewer during the process see if anything weird pops up.

@LordEntrails, I don't recall the process getting very large but I wasn't specifically asking them about it just the memory. I'll make sure to check their process and disk just in case next time. I believe they are running Windows 7 64 bit but I'll ask next time they're online, approximately in 7hrs.

Thanks for both of your suggestions I will get back to you both soon.

Thank you kindly,
Thymine - DM

Moon Wizard
May 19th, 2020, 07:32
One thing to check. Make sure that you remove any tokens from the tokens/shared/ folders for the players, as they take up more memory than for the GM. If you have a bunch of files here, it will increase connection time as all the files are checked, in addition to potentially overloading their system.

Regards,
JPG