PDA

View Full Version : Token Visibility in LoS for Tokens Large and bigger

Paperclipkiller
May 16th, 2020, 19:09
I had reported this before but don't see it on the Known Issues thread so I wanted to make sure it was known just in case.

Summary: Large Tokens and bigger do not show up in LoS in a way that is accurate, for 5e at least. It will only show the token if the center point of the token is in LoS. That makes seeing creatures who have their center point around a corner difficult even though you should be able to see them since the rest of them is sticking out. Attached images show that happening with a Large, Huge and Gargantuan Token. In 5e, due to vision being based on corners of the tokens, having the LoS based on corners may be effective, and a center point as well simply due to doors being an issue otherwise. However I know that can cause issues for people depending on their computer and how intensive the LoS is, and if corners are partially in walls. I can see that being a huge problem coding wise. Regardless I wanted to make sure this issue was known since I didn't see it in the list.

Ruleset(s): 5e was what I was using to test. I don't know other rulesets enough to know if LoS is accurate there or not.

New Campaign: Yes

Extensions/Themes: No Extensions and no Themes

Modules Loaded: Lost Mines of Phandelver for the test map, although this can be done with any image. Monster Manual for the monsters of various sizes.

Operating System/Language Setting: Windows 10 Pro version 1909, English

Steps to Reproduce: Attached Images will show the tokens on the DM side, as well as the Player side. I used Square Pointers to show where the tokens should be. The Gargantuan Token where it is moved to the left has the token visible to the player. I turned the token off to show the center of the square was now visible. You can reproduce it easily by having the center of a creature (of any size really, so this does also affect Medium creatures to a noticeable but lesser degree) not visible to another creature.

I need to post 8 images for examples and you can only do 5 per post/comment. The Large and Huge token examples are attached to this post. The Gargantuan Token example + the Gargantuan Token showing how the center point needs to be visible example will be in a following comment.

Paperclipkiller
May 16th, 2020, 19:10
Additional Gargantuan Token attachments for above post.

LordEntrails
May 16th, 2020, 19:37
The known issues list is not kept up to date. Once you report an issue you can assume it has been recorded by a Dev once they post in your thread. If it hasn't been seen by a dev, just bump the thread.

Paperclipkiller
May 16th, 2020, 19:40
Ahh ok! Well at this point this post gets the same stuff across and I wouldn't want to make 2 threads basically then by bumping the old one from a few months back. Heck I think I was more concise with this one and got the issue across better then the previous one.