PDA

View Full Version : Attempted FGU Game

Iceman
May 16th, 2020, 10:51
We attempted our first FGU game after playing on FGC for several years. I am hoping you can help because, if not, it appears that we wont be able to use Unity. We have always used Mumble alongside FG for voice and it has worked well. We knew that during the initial download Mumble would get choppy because so many files were being sent over, but once that was done everyone disconnected and reconnected and we opened up a battle map.

Players told me that they could not understand me as Mumble was very broken, even though we could chat on it with no problem while FGU was down and being restarted. This continued even after the battle map had been loaded for all. So it seems that FGU has a lot of "overhead" which is eating up traffic and making Mumble unusable.

Is there some way, as GM, that I can limit this overhead? Or any solution for that matter, short of going back to FGC? The players have to be able to hear me or the type of roleplaying game that I run simply wont work.
Any help pushing me along the FGU path would be greatly appreciated as our games are now currently on hold.
Thank you.

Trenloe
May 16th, 2020, 10:59
Where’s your mumble server?

Is your CPU overloaded when using FGU?

Iceman
May 16th, 2020, 12:52
Looks like the CPU spikes to 19% when FGU is loading but then falls back down to 8-9%, which is still above the 2-4% that is used when FGU is not running. Memory hovers at 20-21%. Mumble we used last night belonged to a player but we didnt have sound issues in FGC. Nevertheless I am reactivating my own mumble server to see if that helps. Also we tried to go from a Cloud connection thru FGU to a LAN connection, even though we arent really playing on a LAN. But I do recall that with FGC others could usually bypass the alias server and connect directly so we thought that might work with FGU. But no one could connect with my external IP addy only.
Also while writing this I loaded the maps we were loading/sharing last night and FGU spiked to 17% cpu but very quickly fell back down to about 8%. Then after closing FGU it drops to 4-5%.
Hope that helps.

Iceman
May 18th, 2020, 12:06
I will be trying FGU again today with my own mumble server. I will post further if the FGU overhead still interferes with our audio experience.

Iceman
May 22nd, 2020, 13:01
Just wanted to post that it appears that it was actually a faulty router that was causing issues. We will be testing FGU/mumble tonight and if all works well consider this resolved. If not I will post any new results with my new router attached.

Nylanfs
May 22nd, 2020, 17:36
Yea!