PDA

View Full Version : Icespire Encounter Not Loading on Map

ndjester
May 15th, 2020, 16:22
Hi guys - sorry, Im *REALLY* new with FG, and am trying to familiarize myself with a lot of the functionality and latitudes and am tinkering around in the Dragons of Icespire Peak. Notably, I just randomly went to the ghoul encounter in the Upper Axeholm and clicked the button to load the encounter (which places the enemies in the combat tracker) *but does not place any tokens on the map*. This was the same for the "max" encounter and variable encounter variants. I wanted to know if I am doing something wrong or whether this is really intended or simply an oversight ... thanks all!

Bonkon
May 15th, 2020, 16:43
Good Day NDJester :)
I have not looked at that module yet but if you look at the encounter you will see tokens or check marks under the NPC's. If you see a token the NPC is not placed on the map. If it has a check mark it is already on the map.
You mention a "max" encounter, so I will guess they are not placed on the map since you might not use all the NPC's or only ones that are there due to PC actions? :)

Trenloe
May 15th, 2020, 16:52
As Bonkon mentions, look for the checks (ticks) where the token placement marks are under the creature name in the encounter.

If there are checks there then, once the encounter has been put in the combat tracker (CT), double-click on one of the tokens for the creature in the CT, this should open the map and take you to where that token has been placed.

ndjester
May 15th, 2020, 17:03
Thanks guys - think I am about halfway there .... if there are no checkmarks, is that the designer telling me I need to place the enemies myself?

Bonkon
May 15th, 2020, 17:04
Good Day NDJester :)
Correct. Make sure you load the encounter to the CT, then drag the tokens from the CT to the map locations you want them to be at. :)

ndjester
May 15th, 2020, 17:09
Roger that - thanks for setting things straight ... the checkmarks denote that I can expect the tokens to be placed and the converse applies.

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2020, 17:12
Yep, just be aware that if you place the tokens after sharing the map with the players, they will be able to see the tokens. I make that mistake all the time :O

Bonkon
May 15th, 2020, 17:30
Yep, just be aware that if you place the tokens after sharing the map with the players, they will be able to see the tokens. I make that mistake all the time :O

Good Day LordEntrails :)
Hmmm, that one I did not know, good to file away for future reference! Thank You!! :)

Zacchaeus
May 15th, 2020, 17:48
Make sure that you are understanding the encounter system in Dragon of Icespire Peak. The adventure is unusual in that it isn't balanced for a specific number of party members but rather it is useable by any party size. Consequently there are many possible variations in the encounters - and wherever possible those are all placed on the map. I'm not sure which one you are specifically referring to but there are two possible encounters with Ghouls in the area you looked at. In both cases there is a maximum encoounter and a potential encounter. The maximum encounter is the one you should use if you have 5 party members; the potential one is the one to use if you have more - or less - party members (including henchmen). The potential encounter is a random encounter; that is it will roll an encounter based on the number of player characters in the party (click on the generate button at the bottom of the encounter window). Since the number of NPCs can't be known then of course the tokens are not placed on the map; you'll need to place them yourself once you have generated the number of NPCs.

Make sure that you read the entry 'Using this module in Fantasy Grounds' for a full explanation of how everything works (you'll find it in the last chapter of the reference manual).