PDA

View Full Version : Non random results for custom Table

ChoTimberwolf
May 15th, 2020, 08:55
I created a custom table with 53 results, rolling on it always starts with a 1 followed by 30 followed by 11 etc. Its a table there each player should roll on at the start of the game so they all get the same results.

LordEntrails
May 15th, 2020, 17:22
Don't know if it's realted, but your table ranges should be closed, 1-1, 2-2, etc. Leaving them open is quick, but not a best practice and might be the issue.

ChoTimberwolf
May 16th, 2020, 14:22
Thanks I created it in classic exported it as a mod and imported it in unity. I will create it in unity from scratch and see if that fixes things

ChoTimberwolf
May 16th, 2020, 15:45
So I completly did it from the beginning in FGU and still same problem. Two pics and the xml from it. Hopefully someone can help tables that are not random are not helpful. Maybe i should reinstall FGU

ChoTimberwolf
May 16th, 2020, 17:38
I also uninstalled FGU now and reinstalled it, still same pattern.

blackclove
May 16th, 2020, 22:33
I'm going to add that not only does this happen, but when I used a custom table that goes from 1-50, the first three results are 1, 29, 10. These are notably close to the values the ChoTimberwolf reported for a table going from 1-53, but slightly scaled down, as if the programmers used the same random seed for the table and then scaled it by the max value for the table. This suggests that the problem is likely that the random seed is fixed for the custom tables, instead of being set on instantiating the object from the global random seed or the clock. This looks like a bug to me.

Some other useful details for tracking it down:

* The bug does not occur for tables included with the sourcebooks; I tried it with the Carousing table from the DMG and got different values each time. Similarly, it does not matter if you roll dice in the chat window first or not; you still get the bug on custom tables.
* Rolling on another custom table had mixed results. Sometimes it looked like it changed the rolls on the custom table, and other times it reverted back to the 1, 29, 10 order again.

As a temporary fix, I recommend you roll 1d20 and roll that many times on the table before you start rolling for real :)

damned
May 17th, 2020, 00:58
Can you change the last value to go to 100 and then it will use a dice.
This is just a test.
And see if the dice gives you random numbers?

blackclove
May 17th, 2020, 03:46
damned's hypothesis is correct. Changing d50 to d100 by making the last range end at 100 instead of 50 makes it show the dice and fixes the random generation starting from a fixed value.

So, best to ensure all our tables use "real" dice from now on. It's easy in my case, since it goes 1-50, so I can easily make it 1-100.

damned
May 17th, 2020, 05:34
In the short term ChoTimberwolf you could try adding a new line 54-100 which rerolls the table.
That would get you working but this is obviously a bug and should be added as one.

ChoTimberwolf
May 17th, 2020, 10:06
Added a 54-100 that redirects to the table and so far seems to work, will test further thank you all for your help