PDA

View Full Version : Character Creation 5e FGC - inconsistent prompts

DaveStickland
May 14th, 2020, 06:24
I have a player making a 5th level bard for ToA and he's supremely frustrated that he's missing things because FGC is being inconsistent on prompting him on a few things:

1. He added the Resilient Feat and it doesn't ask him to choose the ability scores to modify (it didn't work for me either, but Dragon Hide did just as a test to make sure it was working at all)
2. Adding the Entertainer background didn't make any changes or prompt him to make any
3. Adding up to 5th level, expertise in skills isn't happening as it should, etc.

I sent him to this link to just walk through it with the FGC university folk : https://youtu.be/B7vQk2SXaH0

I also walked through it. They're getting prompts and boxes my player isn't. We're obviously both concerned that having SOME things auto generate and work right but then having some things have to be entirely dependent on us manually catching it during character creation that his character is going to be highly inaccurate.

I've only been playing with FGC about 6 months so relatively new in some aspects. What am I missing here?

Zacchaeus
May 14th, 2020, 09:52
Hi David, welcome to FG.

The resilient feat doesn't give you any prompt that I am aware of. Neither does any background except possibly the ones which give you a choice of skills. Finally there's no prompt for expertise either; so everything that you've mentioned is working as expected.

When you are creating characters and adding stuff pay attention to the chat box where it tells you what is happening. Additionally feats, traits and features all get added to the abilities tab and you can click on each one and deal with anything that needs dealing with.

You'll get prompts in the following circumstances:

a) When you drag in a race that has subraces
b) When you drag in a class for the first time so you can choose skills.
c) When you drag in a class that has a choice of ability score improvements (again only at level one)
d) When you drag in a class that has a choice of archetypes (this may happen at level one two or three)
e) When you drag in a background that has a choice of skills.

Outside those everything else is up to the player to make the choices (such as in languages, equipment etc) if needed and sort out their character.