PDA

View Full Version : nested tables

CaryScott
May 13th, 2020, 23:37
Greetings,

I am trying to create nested tables to out put a better treasure generator and then output it to a parcel as a single item.
What I am trying to achieve is an output on a parcel that is a single line with the results from 2 or 3 different tables.

Table = magical armor generator

19 to 25 [magical adjustment] Padded Armor
26 to 29 [magical adjustment] Leather Armor

Table = magical adjustment

1 to 3 +1
4 to 4 +2
5 to 8 +3
9 to 9 Axiomatic
10 to 10 lawful aligned
and so on,

if I use a second column like

19 to 25 [magical adjustment] / Padded Armor
26 to 29 [magical adjustment] / Leather Armor

I get the right output but on two different lines of the parcel.

+2
Leather Armor

any ideas?

mattekure
May 13th, 2020, 23:41
Rolling on subtables wont combine the results into a single item. What you can do in your example is
Table: Magical Armor Generator
19 to 25 [Padded Armor]
26 to 29 [Leather Armor]

Table: Padded Armor
1 to 3 Padded Armor +1 <-- Links to the actual Padded Armor +X item. not just text.
4 to 4 Padded Armor +2
5 to 8 Padded Armor +3

CaryScott
May 13th, 2020, 23:45
Thanks for the quick answer,

I had thought of that I just didn't want to create a table for each type of armor and weapon. lots of data entry that way.

mattekure
May 13th, 2020, 23:46
yup. if you have the DMG, take a look at them. tons of nested table rolls, but in the end, they are all structured that way.

Nylanfs
May 14th, 2020, 13:15
This will be of use to you I suspect. :) https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?40812-5E-Table-Importer&highlight=Tables

CaryScott
May 22nd, 2020, 17:21
Oh yessss..... Thanks!!!

CaryScott
May 24th, 2020, 21:35
Not seeing this option for the Pathfinder ruleset. Please tell me its in another location or I can just cut and paste.

Ampersandrew
May 25th, 2020, 01:20
Pathfinder is based on CoreRPG and can load its extensions.

CaryScott
August 13th, 2020, 15:08
hey was starting a new campaign, and when making my random encounter table was having issues with generating more than 1 mob, some one needs to update the TABLE WIKI, the way it is written now doesn't work. It tells you to enter [1d4] by your mob tag instead of [1d4x]

Zacchaeus
August 13th, 2020, 15:50
hey was starting a new campaign, and when making my random encounter table was having issues with generating more than 1 mob, some one needs to update the TABLE WIKI, the way it is written now doesn't work. It tells you to enter [1d4] by your mob tag instead of [1d4x]

The wiki article uses encounters linked to a table rather than single monsters - read the paragraph 'Creating an Encounter Table'. Additionally as noted in the text the better method of creating a random number of monsters is to use random encounters rather than using a table (and then link those to a table if you want to randomly select an encounter). Also the following example which deals with creating a treasure table shows how to use the multiplication of a single item.

celebrindal
April 24th, 2022, 22:19
The wiki article uses encounters linked to a table rather than single monsters - read the paragraph 'Creating an Encounter Table'. Additionally as noted in the text the better method of creating a random number of monsters is to use random encounters rather than using a table (and then link those to a table if you want to randomly select an encounter). Also the following example which deals with creating a treasure table shows how to use the multiplication of a single item.

That works if you want to roll on the table multiple times. Is there a way to have a roll for x of a particular item? (linked)

So I have a table that generates 1d4 vials of acid. If I don't link the acid item it will say 3 vials of acid. If I link the acid to the table it says in the box 1 and then the vial of acid. Right now what I'm doing is adding a text column that indicates how many of the item but is there a way to get it to generate multiples of items that have been rolled on the table?

Update: sorry looks like the 1d4x is the solution to that issue.