PDA

View Full Version : FG2 - Worth the wait?

biomage
March 26th, 2007, 01:41
I purchased 1 full version and 4 lite versions of FG last year when FG2 was announced. I have since been anxiously awaiting its release before starting my first online campaign. I am still waiting, but I don’t mind! Too often, software companies release upgrades and patches before it has been finely hewn. I like that the people at Smite Works (and beta testers) are putting in the time, working out most of the bugs… so we don’t have to do it. Thanks. I am sure FG2 will be worth the wait.

Yenooc
March 26th, 2007, 02:32
It's like deja vu all over again. ;) I did the same, and I'm just as hopeful as you about FG2. It's just difficult waiting when it could appear on the scene "at any time." :D

sloejack
March 27th, 2007, 12:04
I assure you from a total application improvement perspective that it is worth the wait. It doesn't yet have everything I would want in a product like this, but this new version is a significant improvement in the right direction.

Sigurd
March 27th, 2007, 20:23
I guess the pivotal thing is that there isn't much choice :).

Until it is released.... we wait.

At least their trying to give us more information about what's going on.

- Sigurd

rom90125
March 27th, 2007, 23:33
I guess the pivotal thing is that there isn't much choice :).

Until it is released.... we wait.

At least their trying to give us more information about what's going on.

- Sigurd

But what does that mean? From the prolonged wait for FGII, I have to believe the app is a side project for the developers, and as such, not a priority when RL issues come up. I, for one, am not ashamed to admit my patience is wearing thin waiting for FGII

Sigurd
March 28th, 2007, 00:04
Without a doubt, I know former Fantasy Grounds users who have moved on to other tools. The FUM site and Icon had an expansive view of this developing genre of programs. I think that even the designers would tell you that they'd rather have had the revision out earlier but they havent.

I really share people's frustrations - I have posted about this myself - but you have to be fair and look at everything.

1) This is a heap of good program for $40 even as it is now.
2) We do not know the resources and priorities of Smite Works but they were the ones who accomplished #1.
3) They have a beta program in place and are testing the new software as we speak.
4) Remember that there are downsides to a bad or early revision too. I think they want to avoid crashes, protect peoples data, and consolidate their work cycle.
5) To their credit they have a very reasonable sounding upgrade plan. Its free to previous purchasers - this maintains their base. It runs as a seperate parallel program to FG1.5f - this means you can go back to the old if you dont like it. Everything else is really rumors.

The point I'm trying to make is that with no cost for the upgrade you have nothing to lose keeping this option open. Therefore we will all wait. And yes, although its frustrating, I think the program is a great deal and the game sessions it enables are a lot of fun.

So (gripe, gripe, *&%$&/##!) its worth the wait.

Sigurd

Dachannien
March 28th, 2007, 06:01
I'd be overjoyed if SmiteWorks decided to do a "pre-release" of FG2. That is, they could release the almost-finished beta version, both full and lite, to folks who bought FG1 already. We could go ahead and get started with our custom rulesets and such, and then update to the final version once it's released.

I doubt they'll do this, though, so I'll just have to be overjoyed when FG2 is eventually released :)

joshuha
March 28th, 2007, 15:18
I'd be overjoyed if SmiteWorks decided to do a "pre-release" of FG2. That is, they could release the almost-finished beta version, both full and lite, to folks who bought FG1 already. We could go ahead and get started with our custom rulesets and such, and then update to the final version once it's released.

I doubt they'll do this, though, so I'll just have to be overjoyed when FG2 is eventually released :)

Well they would have to be careful though. I did a framework type rulest and the newest beta release broke it so I would hate for people to get into rulesets heavily and then the final version changes something that causes them to start over.

Especially with the talk of ruleset plugins it may completely change how we do rulesets (if they go with this method).

Casamordius
March 28th, 2007, 16:41
I do not understand why they let us upgrade for free. I think they do a great work for very low prices and it would be more than fair to sell the upgrade for a reduced price. At least this would finance some of their expenses .. and maybe give them some motivation to release FG2 soon.

I also would prefer that they offer a beta release download fpr ruleset designers.. evereyone knows that this is without garantee.. but at least we could get into work.

We all wait for a long time now and there are a lot of people who stopped working on tools and rulesets because of the upcoming FG2.0.. and we wait an wait and wait.

So - dear developers - :-) pleasepleasepleaseplease give us something to paly with.

joshuha
March 28th, 2007, 16:47
Well the beta is out for the people that signed up for it when it was announced so fear not, it is close to release.

Just last week we got another build that seems almost ready for release. There are some minor bugs to work out but nothing that seems major.

However, there has been talk of redesigning how rulesets are designed to make it easier for plugins to rulesets without having to redo an entire ruleset. IF they decide to do this it would invalidate all the work you had done on a ruleset even if you were in beta (which is why its a beta).

But maybe they will be up to the idea to move from a closed beta to an open beta ...

biomage
March 28th, 2007, 17:28
I don't mind the wait. However, I am still a little cautious, having been burned by Code Monkey Publishing. After months (years?) of being promised free upgraded data sets to their RPG Toolkit...no data set upgrade, no RPG Toolkit, no WOTC license.

Sigurd
March 28th, 2007, 17:39
I do not understand why they let us upgrade for free
Firstly let me say I think its generous that they give us the upgrade. I am not affiliated with Smite Works and this is only a guess.

1. They are decent genereous souls.
2. They know that the best salesmen of their product are happy users. Whatever their installation base is now, we might each represent a dozen sales if we are happy with the program - 0 if we are unhappy.
3. I have to say there are some features in the new version that I have been asking for since the day I bought my product. There are a number of people in this boat and they must recognise it. Seriously, playing more than one character is a basic part of D&D sessions.
4. They are still young in a new market. There are a lot of other fish to go for. Substantially increasing their user base is a real possiblity - see #2.
5. They have a creator's pride in their product and want to be sure that everyone has something they, personally, really like.

Did I mention they were generous souls.....

LordTomar
March 28th, 2007, 18:57
I do not understand why they let us upgrade for free.

My guess on why it is free is that this upgrade was originally suppose to be a normal patch, and they just kept adding stuff to it untill it became an upgrade instead of a patch, but they had already promised the patch would be free. So they just decided to keep it free to keep from upsetting the player base.

Casamordius
March 28th, 2007, 19:56
don't get me wrong. of course I LIKE that it will have a free upgrade :-)

but I develop software myself and I know how much work is in a product like fg.
I think noone would die if he had to pay say 5$ for an upgrade...
and the guys from smitework would get some money in their treasurebox to pay programmers, designers, advertise fg or just have a nice party for all their work