PDA

View Full Version : Creating Character Sheets

osarusan
March 26th, 2007, 00:15
Is there an easy way to create custom character sheets, with fields that are different than the default fields? Or is the only way to do this to edit the xml directly with, say, a text editor? I can see that it's fairly easy to edit the files, of course, but it seems like a lot of difficult math to figure out where to place new fields and such if you wanted to, say, add a number of skills to the skill list. Does anyone have any advice for someone trying to create a whole new character sheet?

Malovech
March 26th, 2007, 22:29
Is there an easy way to create custom character sheets, with fields that are different than the default fields? Or is the only way to do this to edit the xml directly with, say, a text editor? I can see that it's fairly easy to edit the files, of course, but it seems like a lot of difficult math to figure out where to place new fields and such if you wanted to, say, add a number of skills to the skill list. Does anyone have any advice for someone trying to create a whole new character sheet?

The only way currently is to actually edit the XML and do some measuring in a photo editing program (i.e. Photoshop), plus build the graphics as well. There are a few people out there building GUI editors, but as far as I know none of them are complete.

There really isn't any complex math, its just coordinates and width/height dimensions. Trust me because I suck at math.

osarusan
March 26th, 2007, 23:28
Hi Malovech, thanks for your reply! I guess for the time I'll just try to edit it in Photoshop and a text editor... that just seems so clunky. Is that really the best way to do it? I may have to wait for one of the GUI editors, as I have a lot of edits to make, and I dont know how possible it would be to do in Photoshop and a text editor. Thanks though. :-)

Malovech
March 27th, 2007, 03:21
Hi Malovech, thanks for your reply! I guess for the time I'll just try to edit it in Photoshop and a text editor... that just seems so clunky. Is that really the best way to do it? I may have to wait for one of the GUI editors, as I have a lot of edits to make, and I dont know how possible it would be to do in Photoshop and a text editor. Thanks though. :-)

Its really time consuming. I can't wait for an editor as well, just so I can design the graphics and have it write on the XML for me. I've done it once, and I'm not looking forward to doing it again.

Tokuriku
March 27th, 2007, 05:17
Hello Osarusan,
As Malovech stated, the only way for now is to edit the sheets in xml.
But I for one find it rather rewarding once all is done and my players are just asking for more :D
The really beatifull thing is once you get to understand how it works, you can alter everything that you see on the game window and how things work!
I have a nice exemple of that -Here (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5783)-