PDA

View Full Version : 3.5e Materials?

sassamo
May 12th, 2020, 19:44
Sorry if this has been asked numerous times before, I tried some vague searching but I'm not familiar with these forums and the common lingo here. Many years ago I used to DM some home games in 3.5e. I recently got a group started, but they were interested in trying out 5e. I'm likely to start a campaign in some coming months, an would like to take us back to 3.5. I plan to just outright buy the FGU Ultimate One-Time, and I see the 3.5e rulesets and SRD are included. Maybe it is my lack of understanding, but I thought the SRD was a reduced set of details. I'm hoping to have everything, the rules, stats from PHB, DMG, MM, prestige classes, etc, and even some expansions like Deities and Demigods(?). Is all of this stuff already included? I tried searching the Add-Ons, and I'm confused why there are categories for D&D Classics(1e and 2e), 4e, and 5e, but nothing for 3.5e? Is there a different category? I can't find any of the 3.5e books I am familiar with. Any help or insight here would be appreciated, thank you.

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 19:48
3.5E was never licensed and no digital license is available. So other than the SRD/OGL content, nothing that has been created for it can be shared.

5E was licensed to SmiteWorks for conversion to FG in 2015. Then through a community effort AD&D (now tagged as D&D Classic) obtained a license in ~2019 and things have been getting converted and made available. 3, 3.5, and 4E have never been granted licenses.

I suspect most folks who want to play 3/3.5 just use Pathfinder 1E resources as those are licensed and available.

sassamo
May 12th, 2020, 20:19
Thank you for your response, definitely a lot I don't understand yet!

1. Do the Add-Ons only provide you the visuals or the source materials, or do they add data content and or extra rules into FGU that you didn't previously have?
2. What is included 3.5e-wise, does it have all the rules from various expansions, like stats and features for various classes, or only what comes in the SRD?
3. Is there community content available where users have added rules/materials for use(assuming you rightfully have the physical source books)?

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 20:36
So FG has all the core rule mechanics. Meaning it knows AC, DR, effects, creature types, damages etc But it doesn't have all the monsters stat blocks or magic itmes etc. Only those that re in the SRD are in modules for FG that you can load.

Add-ons / DLC / Modules can contain different things. They might include player options (races, classes, feats, etc) or they might be settings material (maps, story/location info, monsters/NPCs, etc) or they might be things like an adventure etc.

See the stickies in the 3.5/PF forums here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?63-3-5E-Pathfinder

3.5 includes the SRD content from the 3.5SRD only.

There is little community content available, only that released under the OGL. WotC has never allowed redistribution with proof of purchase. PF on the other hand does, one reasons you will find a bunch of community content for PF.

sassamo
May 12th, 2020, 20:58
You are presenting a compelling argument for me! I need to learn a bit more about pathfinder. It's hard to overcome the fond memories of game nights from youth, as well as adjust to things different that what is already understood and memorized, so it might be a difficult transition with every difference, no matter how minor and even those that are for the better, will be met with much resistance(I can be a bit set in my ways!). I definitely plan to give PF a fair chance, and will even look into PF2. I don't care much for 5e because of the lack of customization and oversimplification of everything.

This may be taboo in this forum, and I mean no offense by it. From what research I've done, FGU(well, FGC, but becoming FGU) seems to be the golden standard, and I would feel good knowing I am using and supporting the best there is. However, for comparison, is there a different tool/environment that does offer the full support of 3.5e, or did WOTC just lock down all licensing for that? I understand if you can't necessarily name names here(though that would be preferred and more helpful), but even just an affirmation that there are other systems where 3.5e is fully integrated would be helpful. With what little I've heard so far, I think the edge still goes to FGU, but I would like to be able to feel good about that decision and not second guess it.

Mortar
May 12th, 2020, 21:37
WoTC has never licensed any of the older editions to any other platform.

sassamo
May 12th, 2020, 21:56
OK, and last question. I assume I can add my own content(races, classes, feats, monsters/NPCs, roll tables, rules, etc.) if I put in the work, correct? So I could get the content I'm looking for, just with extra effort?

Mortar
May 12th, 2020, 22:29
OK, and last question. I assume I can add my own content(races, classes, feats, monsters/NPCs, roll tables, rules, etc.) if I put in the work, correct? So I could get the content I'm looking for, just with extra effort?

Yes. Its time consuming more than anything else.

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 22:34
Yea, actually until FG got the license for 5E in 2015, WotC hadn't really licensed much of anything (D&D Insider and some computer games) but never the RPG in digital form itself.

PF is often called D&D 3.75E, because it basically picked up where 3.5 left off when 4E came out and used the SRD/OGL to continue in the same vein. To me there are too many options, to much choice and too many ways to build group breaking characters etc. But, I still play it (3.5) some (I just don't run it myself anymore).

See the link in my signature about Adventure Creation. You will want to plan ahead on how you want to organize your campaign info and such, but FG is pretty great at world building imo.