PDA

View Full Version : Very frustrated user needs help ASAP!!

Brooklyn051968
May 12th, 2020, 18:12
I have run a campaign on FG. I recently moved my group to Fantasy Grounds due to COVID-19. Half my group had already played on FG the other half were new. EVERYBODY had major issues connecting. EVERYONE. I had to strip down my computer of all protection from firewalls and spend hours trying to figure out things like Port Forwarding and reading instructions pertaining to jumping through all these hoops!! My entire party of 6 had to do the exact same thing!! Deleting their firewall protection! To play a game? really? Guess what? After all of wasting hours and hours learning how to be port forwarding gurus.....only half of us can connect to my game after two weeks of this...…..bull%&^!!!

I really am hoping that someone from FG's contacts me, or I am not only not recommending this ever again, I will be D20's number one cheerleader screaming their praises from every rooftop I stand upon......this is ridiculous.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Trenloe
May 12th, 2020, 18:19
Sorry you're having issues. This is a public forum with community moderators. Although SmiteWorks employees do visit here, but there is no guarantee they'll see a post in the Commons area.

If you wish to have direct contact then please email [email protected]

LordEntrails
May 12th, 2020, 18:25
Don't know if this applies to you or you have seen it, but it might be related to your ISP, see here; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?53461-Comcast-XFinity-Cox-and-Shaw-Communications-Users-Important

And if you would like us to try and help you further, please provide the answers to the 8 questions at the start of this post; https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?47051-Fantasy-Grounds-Connections-Explained

Bifford
May 12th, 2020, 19:32
Rather than doing the LAN game, do a Cloud game and set a password. You won't have any problems with that at all from what I've seen.

Zacchaeus
May 12th, 2020, 19:37
Rather than doing the LAN game, do a Cloud game and set a password. You won't have any problems with that at all from what I've seen.

It's assumed that the user is using Classic and not Unity so that option doesn't exist.

esmdev
May 12th, 2020, 20:01
Hi. Just a couple of notes with a preface that we're all community members not SmiteWorks employees so we do what we can to help but there's only so much we can do.

First, only the host system needs to have port forwarding enabled, the players connecting do not need to do this. Their routers will automatically handle the communications for them. Basically when their software sends something off to the internet it expects and prepares for a reply and knows where to send it. Your players, unless they plan to host, can undo any port forwarding or firewall changes. They won't help.

Second, because the host router is going to be getting unexpected network packets by default it will reject them. That is why you need to tell your router to forward the specific network port. It is the only way that the player packets will be allowed in. The only port you need to be concerned with is 1802. You don't need to completely disable your firewall in order to use Fantasy Grounds. Check out the second link in LordEntrails post above for specifics.

Finally if anyone (not on a LAN) is able to connect them the forwarding isn't the problem and it is probably something else causing the problem. Are you using FG classic or Unity? Are all of the players using the same client? Unity clients won't connect to Classic hosts and visa versa.

The link LordEntrails posted is a great link. You also might try jumping onto the Fantasy Grounds discord where you might get faster response times.

I hope you get your situation situated. The starting hurdles of Fantasy Grounds are mostly because of its age (which is why Unity will change a lot when released) however for its age it does what it does exceptionally well.