PDA

View Full Version : FGU unresponsive for period after alt-tab.

StoryWeaver
May 12th, 2020, 04:48
For the eventual performance category of fixes:

On windows 10, whenever you alt-tab away from FGU during a game (to look up or read documents or websites, google for images, switch streamed music or sound effect etc.), which happens frequently during the running of a session.

FGU becomes unresponsive whenever it is selected again (alt tabbed back, or selected from task bar), for about 6-10 seconds or so each time. Until you can finally interact with FGU again, it's like it falls asleep.

If it does enter "slumber" mode to release resources etc. Maybe it would be better if that didn't happen right away, but after some minutes (10-15?) instead.

Moon Wizard
May 13th, 2020, 01:37
You should pare down your images/portraits/tokens directories within the FGU data folder for now. When you switch applications, FGU is trying to dynamically determine what has changed in all of your asset folders, which sounds like it's taking a long time on your installation.

How many files and folders do you have in those 3 subfolders right now?

Regards,
JPG

StoryWeaver
May 14th, 2020, 02:33
So that's what's going on. Well I am one to push the envelope *laughs*.

Combined there are just short of 60.000 files, at about 50 GB, all in all between those three folders including all their subfolders, on a SSD drive.

Would it perhaps be better for this to happen when the Asset menu item is opened or open instead of whenever FGU is refocused?

I have it set up this way due to the one-to-many way the Assets are set up in FGU.
In FGC I'd drag and drop from the image folder (which is by far the largest) on a need basis, to the Images menu item.

Now however if I'd keep it in a separate folder outside the Assets it would become a five step process to add an image and share an image.
1) browsing for the image
2) adding it to the Assets folders
3) looking it up in Assets
4) add to images
5) share

Would end up being a lot of steps for one image.

Mind you now its often a 4 step process already to share an image.
1) browsing for the image in Assets folders (not always needed, depends on what I'm looking for and if the image is named well for searching)
2) looking it up in Assets
3) add to images
4) share

Though the way FGU Assets work are really nice overall.
If you guys are interested in ideas of how to decrease the number of steps as an alternative way to share images, and perhaps improve it further still.
Here's something I've come up with while using the interface:

1) look up image in Assets
2) double click an image in Assets to view image full size as DM/GM (similar to if you would have put it in Images, but sometimes viewing it full size before adding it would be useful)
3) right click to menu to share directly (doing so could automatically add it to Images as New maybe, or if Images is open, then put it in that folder)

Re-adding the drag and drop to Images from a folder could be good to. Could add it to the root of the base Images folder automatically, so it would still be able to use the inbuilt one-to-many Asset setup. Or to a campaign Images folder.

Just throwing out some ideas to add into the mix.