PDA

View Full Version : 5E Cast at a Higher Level

Houndy
May 11th, 2020, 15:47
5E - Cast at a Higher level - Cast spells at a higher level and automatically tick off the spell slot (coming soon)

Hi all,

So my computer died when I was in the middle of coding an update for my other extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill) and because I hadnt saved the code to a cloud, I decided to wait until it was fixed to go back and work on that.

So for the last few days I have been working on another extension using my laptop , which is Cast at a higher level. The idea is to allow you to cast a spell at a higher level if available.

I am going to label this as ALPHA for now and I am close to a first release, but as I have to also recreate my campaign and notes for my players it may still be a few more days.

Please note that as this uses text to parse, this is going to be an incremental process, where I will need to rely on people messaging on here with particular spell text for me to create new logic.

The first release will:

Parse the spell description and add a drop down menu next to valid spells, to select a higher level, this will adjust the damage for when you select it and output a message to let everyone know it was cast at a higher level.
Tick off a spell slot automatically once cast (if option is selected).

The spell text (for now) will only work for damage spells and must be in the form:

At Higher Levels. When you cast this spell using a spell slot of 2nd level or higher, the damage increases by 1d6 for each slot level above 1st.

Where 2nd level and 1d6 can be exchanged.

For now it will not work if:

Healing spell
Damage changes at increments other than "for each slot level above".
The spell has two different types of damage (e.g. ice knife).

HELP
I do not want to have to go through every spell and work out the text, so if you find a spell which isn't in the above form, please let me know and I will see about including it in a near future release.

Video tutorials:
Coming Soon

Releases

Previous Version : Unreleased

Latest Version: Unreleased

CHANGELOG

UPCOMING

Allow healing
Allow increments other than one level
Incorporate spells where there are two types of damage (e.g. ice knife)
Include spells that dont do damage/healing (mainly to allow for auto ticking of the right spell slot).
UI interface to manually edit the cast at a higher level, rather than fully relying on the text

KNOWN ISSUES

COMPATIBILITY LIST (As far as I know, please let me know if issues)

SCREENSHOTS

https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=35185&d=1589207541

Houndy
May 11th, 2020, 15:48
Reserved

Beemanpat
May 11th, 2020, 16:29
Nice that gonna be cool

Stv
May 11th, 2020, 17:40
Sounding good Houndy,
I'll shove this one under the nose of my DM :)

Cheers, Steve.

greglbg
May 11th, 2020, 20:23
love this! Looking forward to checking it out.

SirMotte
May 11th, 2020, 21:12
Can't wait to try this!

jackkerouac
May 14th, 2020, 17:20
This is going to be VERY useful. Can't wait!

Guzalot
May 14th, 2020, 18:45
Definitely looking forward to this one!

Zionmatrix
May 18th, 2020, 09:52
Awesome.
Will it tick off the spell slot of casted at base level?
Will you be adding things like Paladin smite?

Houndy
May 20th, 2020, 09:40
Just thought I would give a quick update. I wanted to release this on Sunday, but when recording video tutorial I found a bug, which has been driving me nuts!

I also started a new job yesterday, I am going to work on it this morning and if I can get the bug fixed I will release the first alpha build. I have done a lot more of it than I originally said in the first post.

It will tick off spell slots at the casted level.

In terms of paladin smite - the way I use this in my campaign is that our paladin has an Effect, so it it would not work.

In the first release, I cannot see how it will properly support Smite, but should be able to support in subsequent releases.

SirMotte
May 20th, 2020, 10:41
Just thought I would give a quick update. I wanted to release this on Sunday, but when recording video tutorial I found a bug, which has been driving me nuts!

I also started a new job yesterday, I am going to work on it this morning and if I can get the bug fixed I will release the first alpha build. I have done a lot more of it than I originally said in the first post.

It will tick off spell slots at the casted level.

In terms of paladin smite - the way I use this in my campaign is that our paladin has an Effect, so it it would not work.

In the first release, I cannot see how it will properly support Smite, but should be able to support in subsequent releases.

Very cool, looking forward to it! Don't push yourself too hard though.

vaughnlannister
May 22nd, 2020, 07:15
Hi, very nice look forward to your release!

Thanks!

pablomaz
May 24th, 2020, 05:54
It will be good, I can feel it... :D
Looking forward to it!

Zionmatrix
May 25th, 2020, 04:20
sounds awesome, especially for newer players that don't understand up casting.
I can't wait to add this to my campaigns.

jackkerouac
May 27th, 2020, 02:36
Looking forward to the eventual release.

Houndy
May 31st, 2020, 18:10
Finally had a break through.

Been having real issues with continuity between player database and the host database. Had a weird bug, where in part of the players code one my nodes was updated as expected, but in another it wasn't. Strange strange stuff that I just couldnt get around.
Eventually I came to the realisation that if it works when the DM does it, why not just do an OOB and make the DM always do it, so thats what I did. After 10s of hours lesson learned, use OOB more in the future haha.

Anyway, I will get the initial alpha release out in the week. I will be recording tutorial and as long as I do not find another bug (like I did last time) I will release it.

As I will mention when released, please note this is alpha and a lot more work to be done to get it where I would like, and I am sure all of you would like :).

vaughnlannister
May 31st, 2020, 20:36
Nice Psyched :)!!!

Callum Miechel
June 11th, 2020, 09:51
This looks extremely useful, looking forward to this one.

Sarteck
June 11th, 2020, 10:04
Man, subbed to this thread. I am really anticipating this. If there's anyway I can help (gruntwork like gathering images, data entry, whatever), hit me up and I'll help out if I can.

Thunderhead
July 6th, 2020, 21:54
+1 for looking forward to this (but secretly hoping that they bake your add-on in to the game!)

Reg
July 7th, 2020, 13:47
This will be a great thing to have!!!

Killer931
July 13th, 2020, 08:08
This can not come out soon enough, urrrgh! So Excited!

I play a Caster in one of the two Campagins I'm in, but we have Casters in every campaign. And having it auto tick off and show what you're capable of casting at would be really nice for some new people.

genivaljunior
July 15th, 2020, 21:39
Following

Reg
July 17th, 2020, 17:00
...the suspense is killing us...

Any news?

Can anyone offer anything that would help?

Granamere
July 20th, 2020, 14:15
Needs some alpha or beta testers?

eriktedesco
August 5th, 2020, 17:55
Any update on this extension?

Indus101
August 14th, 2020, 16:00
This sounds very useful!

blazingwebs
August 15th, 2020, 02:38
I hope you're still a FG user/contributor as we've not seen an update to this thread in quite awhile

spoofer
August 15th, 2020, 09:44
I am looking forward to this.

SmackDaddy
August 23rd, 2020, 08:25
Commenting to subscribe and also ask if this is still being developed? If not, does anyone know of any other ext/mod that can do this or any clue if it will be added to the base unity program?

jrowsey1
August 23rd, 2020, 17:18
You can just left click and hold then right click on the damage for the spell to add dice to the roll for an up-cast spell. Each right click will add another die to the roll.

BaneTBC
August 23rd, 2020, 18:47
@jrowsey1 Thank you for that note, wasn't aware that the damage would do that! That helps make it easier for my players to handle it themselves, versus me telling them to just roll another d# to add to the damage manually!

vaughnlannister
August 23rd, 2020, 18:51
Thanks @jrowsey that's an awesome tip :) !

Reg
August 28th, 2020, 18:38
You can just left click and hold then right click on the damage for the spell to add dice to the roll for an up-cast spell. Each right click will add another die to the roll.

Its handy, but not perfect. It doesn't add the additional modifiers for things like Magic Missile for example.

So bear that in mind and you, as DM will still need to do some minor alterations, but at least the players have some agency

Alternately you can code the higher effect into the higher spell slot - like Beyond does. More initial work, but less to forget later

Will be great when this is done, but until then...

EllivasKram
August 28th, 2020, 18:46
Will this be FG unity compatible and compatible with critically awesome essentials and Rob Twohy effects compatible and Mad Nomad's Automatic Actions Tab Additions extn etc.

SmackDaddy
August 28th, 2020, 20:30
5E - Cast at a Higher level - Cast spells at a higher level and automatically tick off the spell slot (coming soon)

Hi all,

So my computer died when I was in the middle of coding an update for my other extension (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?56994-5E-RFIA-Addon-Manual-spell-concentration-death-saves-NPC-support-Contested-skill) and because I hadnt saved the code to a cloud, I decided to wait until it was fixed to go back and work on that.

So for the last few days I have been working on another extension using my laptop , which is Cast at a higher level. The idea is to allow you to cast a spell at a higher level if available.

I am going to label this as ALPHA for now and I am close to a first release, but as I have to also recreate my campaign and notes for my players it may still be a few more days.

Do you need any alpha/beta testers? I am not new to testing, but am newer to FG in general. I have a Unity Ultimate license and would be willing to participate in any testing you may need done. Half of my party are spell casters.

0m0n
September 8th, 2020, 07:45
Fantasy Grounds 'Advanced Spell Damage' (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327397/Fantasy-Grounds-Advanced-Spell-Damage-extension) extension was released on the DMs Guild a few days ago. Seems to do a similar thing to the one Houndy was working on allowing casting at higher levels. Has a few kinks that hopefully will be ironed out but seems to work after removing and adding your spells back into your character sheet.

EllivasKram
September 8th, 2020, 10:11
Fantasy Grounds 'Advanced Spell Damage' (https://www.dmsguild.com/product/327397/Fantasy-Grounds-Advanced-Spell-Damage-extension) extension was released on the DMs Guild a few days ago. Seems to do a similar thing to the one Houndy was working on allowing casting at higher levels. Has a few kinks that hopefully will be ironed out but seems to work after removing and adding your spells back into your character sheet.

So Extn clashing with Rob2E and Friends Extns - Anyone tried with Critically Awesome Essentials ? plus Mad Nomads Character Sheet Tweaks and Automatic Action Tabs

I think I'm asking for trouble having these all running and modifying the Character sheets...

ScriedRaven
September 8th, 2020, 19:41
So Extn clashing with Rob2E and Friends Extns - Anyone tried with Critically Awesome Essentials ? plus Mad Nomads Character Sheet Tweaks and Automatic Action Tabs

They all seem to be working well together for me, although I haven't stress tested them.

xelab
September 15th, 2020, 20:24
Since it takes some time for @Houndy to finish the extension, I have written my own that automates part of the task - expending spell slots.
Please check it out here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61784-5E-Expending-Spell-Slots&p=541864#post541864

However, looking forward to this extension superseding mine!

SmackDaddy
September 15th, 2020, 20:37
Since it takes some time for @Houndy to finish the extension, I have written my own that automates part of the task - expending spell slots.
Please check it out here:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61784-5E-Expending-Spell-Slots&p=541864#post541864

However, looking forward to this extension superseding mine!

Have these been tested with other extensions/mods from the rob2e line of devs? (mattekurre, diablobob, rob2e, etc) I am about to install this and see if I notice any issues right off the bat....

Figment16
January 27th, 2021, 16:14
Did this ever come to pass? Looking for an extension like this.

Beemanpat
January 27th, 2021, 18:55
Did this ever come to pass? Looking for an extension like this.

Don't think it was finished. But here is another that I think close to same. https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?61784-5E-Expending-Spell-Slots&p=541864#post541864