PDA

View Full Version : Which modules to load?

Milmoor
May 11th, 2020, 08:03
I just found out why I had multiple 'bandit' entries in my NPC library. It shows the entry of every loaded module in my library. So I started disabling modules which are contained in others. Now a few of my older encounters break, but that's easily fixable. I still have some doubles: one from the Monster manual and one from the 5E SRD Bestiary.

Am I right in thinking this is unavoidable?
And if so, is this the proper way to load the modules?

Everything below is loaded unless stated otherwise.
D&D 5E SRD Bestiary
D&D 5E SRD Magic Items
D&D Basic Rules - Players: not loaded
D&D Dungeon Master's Guide - Maps
D&D Monster Manual
D&D 5E SRD Data: not loaded
D&D Basic Rules DM: not loaded
D&D Dungeon Master's Guide
D&F Dungeon Master's Guide - Players: players load
D&D Player's Handbook: players load

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2020, 09:04
Since it looks like you have all of the Core rulebooks (PHB, DMG, MM) then you don't need any of the other modules which replicate the information there such as the Basic rules or the SRD. So you don't need the SRD magic items or bestiary open.

Milmoor
May 11th, 2020, 10:02
Thanks, that helped. I'm down to one bandit. The local sheriff will be pleased.

I'm struggling a bit with the D&D terminology.
Basic: a subset of the complete rules, for starters in D&D, free.
SRD: System Reference Document, another subset of the complete rules, free
Core: all the rules, no extra's, paid.

Is this correct?

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2020, 10:56
Yes, that's pretty much the summary.

The main thing to understand is that the SRD and basic rules are subsets of the PHB/MM/DMG. So if you have those you don't need anything else.

damned
May 11th, 2020, 11:13
Basic Rules are intended as a Free Introduction to D&D. Limited Classes and Races etc but completely playable to Level 20.
The SRD is intended for use by third party publishers. It is intended to be used with the OGL.
The commercial products are what you should use if you have them. If you dont - chose either SRD or Basic.

Milmoor
May 11th, 2020, 17:23
Thanks.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
May 11th, 2020, 17:48
A very minor point, there are a very few magic items and possibly creatures that do not appear in the core rules. For instance, the Staff of Defense which appears in Lost Mine of Phandelver in the starter set. Although this is minor and can easily be remedied by loading the mod and/or copy-create your own in the items menu. Or by creating one using the forge.

Zacchaeus
May 11th, 2020, 18:32
A very minor point, there are a very few magic items and possibly creatures that do not appear in the core rules. For instance, the Staff of Defense which appears in Lost Mine of Phandelver in the starter set. Although this is minor and can easily be remedied by loading the mod and/or copy-create your own in the items menu. Or by creating one using the forge.

Not sure what you are getting at. Magic items which appear only in adventures don't also appear in any of the Core books - for obvious reasons. Virtually every adventure (and most of the other books such as Volo etc) all include their own list of magic items. Similarly NPCs which are unique to adventures or to books such as Volo also only appear in those modules.

Mysteria_Sdrassa
May 11th, 2020, 20:32
I simply meant that those "special" items, as such. The op would either, have to make sure the mod was loaded to use it and/or create said item him/herself.
Also, I consider Lost Mines kinda as a core thing since it does come in the starter set with a core rulebook. But that's just my personal opinion on that point. :)