PDA

View Full Version : New to all of this, FGC or FGU?

Findar
May 11th, 2020, 02:40
So yes, COVID brought me here for the lack of games available to me, so first off thank you for providing this outlet.

I am torn between FGC and FGU? Which of the two have more games available and open, if they are not compatible are there more DMs on FGC or FGU? The person that referred me here, DMs on FGC and is staying there because of the cost upgrade. I don't care if I'm able to play in any of his games, I'm just concerned that all of the experienced Fantasy Ground DMs are going to stick to FGC
are there enough on FGU to support enough games.

Question is, Do I Join FGC and get the experienced DMs and Players or do I get the new functionality with FGU?

I'd pay extra for an FGU membership as a contribution to pay for experienced FGC DMs to get a free upgrade to FGU so that I know that the DM i am going to get; especially since this is new to me, so that I am sure that I am going to get an experienced DM.

Findar

damned
May 11th, 2020, 03:39
If you are going to be a player choose whatever platform the GM has.
If you are going to GM then there are many other factors.
There are several other similar threads you could check the thoughts of various people on.

Neovirtus
May 11th, 2020, 03:40
I imagine the limiting factor will be finding a game, if you haven't already. I would find a game, and if needed, buy the appropriate license to join. Many DM's have ultimate licenses, which would allow you to play for free with a Demo license as well, so there's a chance when you find the right game you won't need to buy a thing.

Bonkon
May 11th, 2020, 03:42
Good Day and Welcome Findar :)
I would suggest looking at the LFG portion of the forums here. If the DM has an Ultimate license you can join their game with the free demo version of either FGU or FGC so you can join either one at no entry cost to you. Then if you get into a game or two you can see where to go from there depending on availability of DM's.
Now if you were planning to DM then I would recommend perusing the forums here a bit as it has been a common enough question recently with the increase of players. :)
Perhaps this one will help to start: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57635-New-to-FG-Considering-FGC-vs-FGU :)