PDA

View Full Version : FGU Playtest

Danalli
May 11th, 2020, 01:57
Tuesday May 5th started a new D and D 5e game.

Homebrew with just a few core books.

No one in the group had ever played on a VTT before. After working through the character create we started the game session with six people connected by Cloud.

The game VTT did every thing we asked of it. And we had no major issues.

We did see at the end of the night one player lost his connection to FGU but could not connect back in. He did not mention it until we had shutdown. I suspect the problem was that FG was still reporting him as connected. If he had said something It is possible we could of kicked him and he could of connected back in.

I had heard that the interface was going to be an issue. And that FGU was not as good as FGC. All I can say is if FGU is bad, I have no idea why people would ever leave FGC. And a bunch of completely cold players had no issues getting connected and playing the game.

Danalli

Neovirtus
May 11th, 2020, 02:12
Glad to hear you had a successful session! Regarding the "FGU was not as good as FGC"... I think what you may have picked up on is that currently FGU can be buggy. But it's getting better with every update, and if you don't encounter a bug it is largely the same as FGC. FGC wasn't bad, it was excellent! But there are new things like Line of Sight that weren't possible in FGC, and further improvements will come in time.

Danalli
May 11th, 2020, 02:27
I was not trying to imply that FGC was bad. I have no experience with FGC. And I am aware people are finding bugs. That is what Beta is for.

But more to express how pleased myself and my group of friends have been. Two players had never played D and D before and none of us have use a VTT. While as GM I had a bit of a learning curve it wasn't that steep.

Danalli

Neovirtus
May 11th, 2020, 02:40
That's great. I didn't think you were saying it was bad, I was trying to explain some of the attitudes you were referring to ("And that FGU was not as good as FGC").

I'm glad you didn't find the learning curve to be too bad, and that your players picked up on it quickly. I had a similar experience, but I could see how some would have a hard time. Some of the player's I've introduced to the software have had a harder time than others. I think it comes down to people who expect it to work like Windows vs. people who try to learn it like a new videogame.

Draggin64
May 11th, 2020, 03:03
I ran my first multi-client FGU session this afternoon with no connection issues at all.
Most of the players were new to FG.
The game was private but had the host (Ultimate license) and 5 clients running for over 5 hours with no connection issues.
It was Pathfinder2 campaign running Extinction Curse content from FG, along with Lost Omens World Guide and Lost Omens Character Guides.
I was concerned about the session, having seen details of the connection issues in the forum, but ultimately was very pleased how it all went.