PDA

View Full Version : localhost

Lupus
May 10th, 2020, 22:04
Hello

Whenever I try to join a game on localhost, I get an error. What am I doing wrong?

Mortar
May 10th, 2020, 22:10
Localhost is only used when trying to join from the same computer as the host instance of FG. If you aren't on the same PC, but the same network (i.e. same house) you use the internal IP address.

Lupus
May 10th, 2020, 22:13
Localhost is only used when trying to join from the same computer as the host instance of FG. If you aren't on the same PC, but the same network (i.e. same house) you use the internal IP address.

Hello Mortar

I am using the same PC as a host. I know. It's weird. I even tried using the IP 127.0.0.1

Mortar
May 10th, 2020, 23:06
Which client are you using?

Where exactly are typing it in and what are you typing?

I just checked on both clients and had no issue

Lupus
May 10th, 2020, 23:19
I typed in localhost in the Host Address field. I am not sure what you mean by client.

damned
May 10th, 2020, 23:50
Whose game are you trying to connect to?

Lupus
May 10th, 2020, 23:57
Hello damned

I am not trying to connect to anyone's game. I am trying to connect to my local host. Just so you know, I tried the same thing on both of my computers and the result was the same. Also, I tried to test the connection on both computers. One succeeded and one failed. Help.

Lupus
May 11th, 2020, 00:02
I am sorry. I forgot to mention that I wasn't having any problems with Fantasy Grounds until I just updated it yesterday. The computer I updated was the one that failed the connection and the one that succeeded was the computer I didn't update.

damned
May 11th, 2020, 00:03
Localhost is a special mode designed for the GM to be able to see the player view on their GM computer.

The GM starts up Fantasy Grounds and Loads a Campaign.
They then start a second instance of FG and choose Join Game and use localhost as the address
This will connect to the running instance on the same computer and will bypass the license comparison.
The second instance must connect to the first, not the other way around.

Port forwarding can only work to one computer.
The connection test has nothing to do with localhost connections.

What is it you are trying to achieve?

Lupus
May 11th, 2020, 00:13
I get it now. I loaded up a campaign. Then I started a second instance of FG and joined using localhost. It worked perfectly. Thanks so much guys. One last thing, should I be worried about the failed connection test?

LordEntrails
May 11th, 2020, 00:25
One last thing, should I be worried about the failed connection test?
Perhaps, did you setup port forwarding or did things just work? Are you using FGC or FGU?

Making some assumptions (Things just worked and FGC), then you may need to reboot your router before you can switch which computer can host external clients as your router may not release the 'wrong' computer and start port forwarding to the 'right' computer. Sometimes the Router will switch fairly quickly, other times you have to reboot it and then launch FG only the computer you want to work.

Lupus
May 11th, 2020, 00:41
Thanks LordEntrails. In truth, I don't know anything about port forwarding. I am using FGC and it just worked.

LordEntrails
May 11th, 2020, 07:07
Thanks LordEntrails. In truth, I don't know anything about port forwarding. I am using FGC and it just worked.
Sure, so what happens is your router can only port forward (direct traffic) inbound traffic (from your players) to one address (computer).

So when you started FG on one computer, your router said something like 'Oh hey, Computer A is listening for connections on port 1802, anything that comes from the internet on port 1802 should go to Computer A". Then you went and started Computer B and FG connections from the internet could not connect to it, because your router was still pointing all traffic at Computer A. Your router will do that for some amount of time (generally it doesn't expect this rule to be changing frequently, so it might keep the rule for an hour or a day, or it might get stuck until you reboot your router).

Just be aware of that behavior when you run FG on more than one computer. You might have to wait, or reboot your router to get things working with your 'new' computer.

Lupus
May 11th, 2020, 19:03
Much appreciated LordEntrails.

LordEntrails
May 11th, 2020, 19:28
Much appreciated LordEntrails.
You are welcome :)

LaiJien
November 29th, 2020, 17:34
Localhost is a special mode designed for the GM to be able to see the player view on their GM computer.

The GM starts up Fantasy Grounds and Loads a Campaign.
They then start a second instance of FG and choose Join Game and use localhost as the address
This will connect to the running instance on the same computer and will bypass the license comparison.

Hi!

I would like to see my game from the player’s perspective. How do I start a second instance of FG?

I am running FG Unity with the 5e ruleset on a MacBook Pro running the Catalina OS.

Many thanks - I have found these forums to be so very helpful!

Zacchaeus
November 29th, 2020, 17:49
I think on a mac you also need to install a demo version of FG and run that as the second instance.

LordEntrails
November 29th, 2020, 18:17
Hi!

I would like to see my game from the player’s perspective. How do I start a second instance of FG?

I am running FG Unity with the 5e ruleset on a MacBook Pro running the Catalina OS.

Many thanks - I have found these forums to be so very helpful!
Someone wrote up this process for FGU on a Mac. Not sure it applies to FGC as I'm not Mac fluent.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57580-MAC-Running-second-instance-on-same-computer

This discussion is for Mac and FGC, but it's not a direct solution. But, I think it links to the answer...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33458-Issues-Trying-to-Run-a-second-instance-of-FG-on-Mac-for-Testing

LaiJien
December 2nd, 2020, 01:56
Thank you, Zacchaeus!

I think on a mac you also need to install a demo version of FG and run that as the second instance.

LaiJien
December 2nd, 2020, 01:56
Thank you, LordEntrails!

Someone wrote up this process for FGU on a Mac. Not sure it applies to FGC as I'm not Mac fluent.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?57580-MAC-Running-second-instance-on-same-computer

This discussion is for Mac and FGC, but it's not a direct solution. But, I think it links to the answer...
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?33458-Issues-Trying-to-Run-a-second-instance-of-FG-on-Mac-for-Testing