PDA

View Full Version : Various Typos and Missing Automation

TheDog
May 10th, 2020, 12:24
Apologies if these have been covered before;

FGU TYPO
In Races> Racial Abilities> Size 1 (1) should be Size -1 (1) note the minus sign
In Items> Medium & Large Shields> Appear with Cover +2, +4 as per the Swade rules this should be -2 and -4

FGU SWADE RULES - Automation is missing from;
Range Modifiers -2,-4,-8, SWADE p93 don’t appear to be in/working

Shields SWADE p71 provides cover depending on shield size 0, -2, -4

Shields can do damage SWADE p71, so should be on the Hero Combat tab, yes?

Powers Range needs to be auto miss if outside of the Powers Range.

For SWADE $ is the default currency, but for FGU SWADE there are 3 fields for currency, one of them should be for $ ?
Currency is not deducted when items are dragged and dropped on to the Character sheets.

GUI - very minor as they work 90%+ of the time
Occasionally on the character sheet, some not all of the dice icons disappear
Occasionally text boxes are blank, I can scroll up with the mouse wheel and the text is displayed.

Doswelk
May 10th, 2020, 19:28
Apologies if these have been covered before;

FGU TYPO
In Races> Racial Abilities> Size 1 (1) should be Size -1 (1) note the minus sign
In Items> Medium & Large Shields> Appear with Cover +2, +4 as per the Swade rules this should be -2 and -4

FGU SWADE RULES - Automation is missing from;
Range Modifiers -2,-4,-8, SWADE p93 don’t appear to be in/working

Shields SWADE p71 provides cover depending on shield size 0, -2, -4

Shields can do damage SWADE p71, so should be on the Hero Combat tab, yes?

Powers Range needs to be auto miss if outside of the Powers Range.

For SWADE $ is the default currency, but for FGU SWADE there are 3 fields for currency, one of them should be for $ ?
Currency is not deducted when items are dragged and dropped on to the Character sheets.

GUI - very minor as they work 90%+ of the time
Occasionally on the character sheet, some not all of the dice icons disappear
Occasionally text boxes are blank, I can scroll up with the mouse wheel and the text is displayed.

FGU is in Beta and there are known issues, at this time things that do not work in FGU work in FGC, so iof it works in FGC but not FGU it's an FGU bug not a SW ruleset bug, of course you would need to try it in both to know if it is a FGU or SW bug.

Range modifiers do work (in FGC at least, have you got a grid on? without a grid there is no distance)

Page 71: Cover subtracts from ranged attacks from the front and shielded side (attacks from the rear or unprotected side ignore cover). Therefore you cannot automate this as facing and direction of attack are not a feature of FGC.

Cover +2 +4 is correct for how FG calculates cover.

Currency is not deducted when items are dragged and dropped on to the Character sheets. - Not a bug Fantasy Grounds is not a character creation tool, it is a digital table top with a character sheet, you need to manually deduct money.

Powers: You spend the extra power points to double the range this is not a miss, but again at this time there is no functionality to apply modifiers in this case, anyway you are told when the power is out of range.

$ is not the currency in Hellfrost/50 Fathoms/Savage Pathfinder/<insert any of the hundreds of settings SW has> therefore there is no reason to lose a currency row by forcing to have a $ field, just type the currency you want to use next to each field :)

For a explanation of FX in FG read this: https://www.fantasygrounds.com/wiki/index.php/Savage_Worlds_Effects

I'll be making a video this week to show the 5.2.3 features with regards to FX.

IceBear
May 10th, 2020, 20:31
I just discovered that you can set the default currency in Options. Click on the currencies button on the bottom of Options and you set default currencies. Since Tyrnador uses cp as the default, changing the $ was getting annoying. Now I only see cp

TheDog
May 11th, 2020, 08:46
Hi Doswelk thanks for the reply

Im new to FGU and Savage Worlds (not new to Dev cycle)

These comments are about SWADE on FGU.

Yes the grid was on, it shows the range, so I would expect the correct deductions to be applied at the appropriate range.

Currency: I was suggesting $ as thats whats in the SWADE rulebook, and wrongly assuming that a FG SW module would change the currency to its world. But from what you said, players use the SWADE rules and their own currency, so yes no hard coding.

TheDog
May 11th, 2020, 08:49
IceBear, good catch, yes it filters through to the character sheets and the Party Sheet Inventory.

Thanks!

TheDog
May 12th, 2020, 17:20
Checked again and the range deductions are NOT automated , nor are they listed in the Effects table, so have to be done manually. :-(

Also Shields are not included in the Effects table, nor are they automated, so have to be done manually. :-(
-Irrespective of facing, the could be automatically applied to the hero, as probably most missile hits would be against the shielded side.
-or they could be in the Effects table.

IceBear
May 12th, 2020, 21:46
Yeah, definitely a FGU issue. In Classic, shooting at someone at medium range automatically has a -2 penalty - as long as there's a grid.

I'm pretty sure the medium shields in Classic have the [Parry +2, Cover +2] effect built into them. Do you see that line on the item in the item list? Maybe whomever was deciding automation for Unity decided that since there's a chance the shield bonus won't apply it's not automatically added? In my mind, it's probably more likely that it is that it isn't. Oh, wait! I had a thought...is the shield equipped? If it's not equipped you don't get the bonus. In our games, if I attack the guy with a ranged attack from the rear I ask him to unequip the shield first.

Lonewolf
May 12th, 2020, 22:28
After testing I have it working in both FG versions. So it is not a ruleset issue. We not going to have a diffrent ruleset for a new platform so any diffrence in down to unity.
However unity also seems to working just fine too with only one minor change. In FGU the only diffrence is there is no target arrow being draw. Apart from that all modifiers work the same. If a shield is equipped it works fine and gives correct modifers.
An NPC will need an effect added if they pick up and equip a shield mid fight.

Although once again got bring up the whole FGU beta warning. Just because I can get it to work does not mean it can't be easily broken.

IceBear
May 12th, 2020, 22:32
I've seen a lot of people mention problems with range in FGU..was there anything extra you had to do? Just draw a grid and target something outside short range?

IceBear
May 12th, 2020, 23:06
Oh...a thought about range...you're putting everything in the combat tracker and move the tokens from there to the gridded map?

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 00:01
Icebear Im a plonker the shield was not equipped, thanks for pointing out the obvious, I should of checked. Equipping it and it works as you said.

Back to range, I have changed maps to a FG Battle Map, to make sure it was not a scenario map that was faulty, it is still not working automated with range.

Your post 23:06 No Im dragging the tokens from an Encounter window, but first I use the down arrow to add encounter to the combat tracker.

But I will do as you suggest.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 00:10
I heard a bunch of people say that they had problems in general unless they started with the CT. What I do is put all the players in the CT and then drag from the encounter to the CT. Once everyone is in the CT I drag from there to the map

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 00:15
IceBear, thanks for stepping through the process, Ive reloaded the encounter from scratch, done as you said above and the Range is not deducted.

The Kobolds are armed with slings and I drag the word "Sling" over the hero and release, it rolls the dice, but no range deduction is shown in the chat window.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 00:33
OK...try this. When it's the kobold's turn either CTRL+click on the PC you want to target or on the CT drag the little target icon on the kobold to the pc in question. Once the target is shown on the kobold's tracker double click on the sling to shoot.

I think the problem is there isn't automation to determine if something is out of melee range and if you do it the way you are it treats it as a melee attack. I bet the target number it's using is the Parry of the target and not 4

You'd have to ask Ikael why it just doesn't automatically miss when something is out of reach of a melee weapon (probably a legacy thing). But yeah, if you drag an attack directly onto a target it's considered melee.

I just ctrl click to target something (and then ctrl click it again to untarget) and then just double click my attacks. 5hen stuff works better

Lonewolf
May 13th, 2020, 00:47
I've seen a lot of people mention problems with range in FGU..was there anything extra you had to do? Just draw a grid and target something outside short range?
Grid layer on a scaled as normal

Oh...a thought about range...you're putting everything in the combat tracker and move the tokens from there to the gridded map?
Every thing needs to come from the comabt tracker. One more test run needed to confirm as there is an edge case that may break it. Will do that next.

IceBear, thanks for stepping through the process, Ive reloaded the encounter from scratch, done as you said above and the Range is not deducted.

The Kobolds are armed with slings and I drag the word "Sling" over the hero and release, it rolls the dice, but no range deduction is shown in the chat window.

The word "encounter" bothers me which where I need to look next. Apart from that it does the calculation for me. 35285

Also I am not dragging the word sling but dropping the dice from the "Sling[d6][Damage 2d4]" on an NPC. Or Dice from character sheet. Which I think is what you are also doing. Why you get diffrent results is a mystery. I can't figure out what is what is changing.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 00:49
Yeah pretty sure the problem is he's not actually setting a target and then attacking, he's dragging the attack to a target which defaults to a melee attack. I'm sure getting it to look at the type of weapon is on a todo list somewhere but I noticed that when I started a few weeks ago

Lonewolf
May 13th, 2020, 01:13
Yeah pretty sure the problem is he's not actually setting a target and then attacking, he's dragging the attack to a target which defaults to a melee attack. I'm sure getting it to look at the type of weapon is on a todo list somewhere but I noticed that when I started a few weeks ago
Well it just tested agin and can rule out an issue with encounter system map placement as well

It does look at the weapon. It is exatly the same code in both versions. I have a funny feeling it is down to not setting a scaled grid layer onto a map. Even if a map has a grid drawn on it still needs the overlay.
For the chase rules this is futher modified by top map controls.

If the weapon is set with the correct type and range score. It should work. Another screen shot of this in action 35286.

What I do think is an issue is the drawing of the pointers automatically during the target process. It that is missed it could make people think that it is not working. This is however down to unity drawing to the screen rather that anything to do with the rules set so it will crop up anyway.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 01:31
He said he dragged the sling from the kobold and dropped it on the target. When we were playing a game one player rolled his bow attack without having a target. When he dragged the attack result to a target it acted like a melee attack (no range modifiers, attack against Parry). Not exactly what TheDog said he did but seems similar enough. If the combat tracker doesn't show the target on the attacker's entry then things go wonky

Lonewolf
May 13th, 2020, 05:58
He said he dragged the sling from the kobold and dropped it on the target. When we were playing a game one player rolled his bow attack without having a target. When he dragged the attack result to a target it acted like a melee attack (no range modifiers, attack against Parry). Not exactly what TheDog said he did but seems similar enough. If the combat tracker doesn't show the target on the attacker's entry then things go wonky

Yeah, that sounds like a good theory as well :). If the dice where not dropped on the tracker or token. I think the targeting process is bypassed as well. Not a bug since there no way for to account for this unsual procedure.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 08:53
I don't bother with dragging and dropping dice as there's always a chance of missing where you meant. Once I have my target I just double click the attack and the dice will roll

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 10:10
Thanks chaps for the support.

So starting over from a New Campaign with no Themes or Extensions
Loaded the FG Battle Maps module and loaded Cave_01 map (So we know the grid is correct)
Loaded 2 NPCs Goblin and Ogre (so I cant mess with the stats) into the Combat Tracker, made the Goblin Friendly.
Goblin Targets with sights with drag and drop on to Ogre, double click "Bows [d8]", still not working at various ranges.

As an aside I swapped the Ogre for a Dragon and a ranged attack knew is was Huge +4.
Screenie 35321

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 10:24
Hmm...that's odd. The 10 on the arrow implies it knows the range so you must have drawn a grid over the battlemap grid (Just confirming that you drew a grid? At least in Classic the grid shown on the battlemap is just for show...you have to turn on the grid layer and draw a grid yourself....the fact that the arrow shows 10 implies there is a grid)

I know it works fine in Classic and Lonewolf said it worked for him in Unity. I can't remember now if one of the Options that you can turn on or off is range penalties...that's my only other thought. Think that's in the Houserules section of the Options

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 10:32
No I did not draw a grid, I assumed that because I used a Fantasy Grounds Battle Map, its labeled "FG Battle Maps", the grid was already defined?

This module/map I got free, I think when I bought my FGU licence. I think you will have this module/map, just check your Library.

I will check the Options.

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 10:51
Loading Options

Under House Rules (GM) - this at the very end of the list
Range Penalties = Standard
I toggled this to Off and tested and back to Standard, it made no difference, so still no range deduction.

Scale and Size = Standard
I toggled this to Off and tested and back to Standard shooting at a Dragon, it worked as expected.

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 12:09
Draw a grid. As far as I understand those battlemaps are just image files Until you right click on the map, layers, grid, and draw the grid FGs doesn't know the scale. Since I started using FGs I wish more maps I find online were gridless as its hard making the lines of the grid you draw line up with the lines on the image sometimes.

The scale of the grid is also how it scales your tokens and how it snaps things in place

You can take any electronic image that you have can put it in your FG images folder, then open it in Fantasy Grounds and draw a grid on it to use as a battlemap. It's just those in FG are part of another product that was sold to be printed and used on the tabletop...hence the lines drawn on them

TheDog
May 13th, 2020, 14:42
IceBear & Lonewolf, the Teachers, thanks for sticking with me.

It works, OMG !!!

I have assumed too much, Fantasy Grounds Battle Map, its labeled "FG Battle Maps" REQUIRES action to use them, ie. to put a grid on them.

I get that a graphic outside of the FG system needs gridding, but why does a labelled Fantasy Grounds Battle Map not have a default grid, so it can be used straight away.

I also bought a SW module A00 Crows Rest Island, which has Enhanced Line of Sight (LOS) for FG Unity, it was this module that I basing my first assumptions on. It too needs gridding, just tested it and now "Range" works. Again, why does it not have a default grid, as a PC/NPC token can move around it in fixed units.

If I had read the manual, but I didn't, its probably in there.

THANKS!!! again.

I found this little gem, hopefully of use.
On the Map Window
Scroll Mouse (Middle Button) click & hold & drag to move map
Scroll wheel to Zoom In or Out

IceBear
May 13th, 2020, 15:04
Yes...knew about the middle mouse button...it's very useful.

Again...I think they were "donated" some battlemaps that were actually a print and play product so they have a grid on them already but the difference is those grids are just lines on an image that FG can't distinguish between other lines on the drawing. It's the grid layer that FG uses

Also you're lucky with your tokens. I've added a lot from the internet and some of them are massive when added to a non gridded map compared to others. The grid is what it uses to scale the token to "80% of the grid" as the default in options

Lonewolf
May 15th, 2020, 00:31
IceBear & Lonewolf, the Teachers, thanks for sticking with me.

It works, OMG !!!

I have assumed too much, Fantasy Grounds Battle Map, its labeled "FG Battle Maps" REQUIRES action to use them, ie. to put a grid on them.

I get that a graphic outside of the FG system needs gridding, but why does a labelled Fantasy Grounds Battle Map not have a default grid, so it can be used straight away.
t

You got it to work. Excellent News :). Yeah, I was sure it came down to the grid overlay not getting drawn. Good that everything worked out.

Now here is the mind blowing thing. How big a grid do you need and how many dimensions are needed?

The FG table does not really know. It assumes by default 1" size squares equal to 1 yard. Measured same up and down as left to right.
However you can either:

1. Assume one square bit of artwork really means 2 yards in the real world. So set overlay to two squares per bit of artwork. The map now twice as big for range calcualtions and tokens place scale "auto-magically".
2. Or you decide you want a tank battle scale! With players thundering around in Battlemechs. Then just draw a standard grid but set scale to 1" per square. But set real world distance of 10 yards. Characters can only move one square on foot if they run. Whilst Battle mechs thrunder past. When you have a gun that shoots a long distance the battle field gets big.
3 Or you can do a chase! Where the map only has ONE dimension. Length only. Yeah FG does that to with the correct drawn grid overlay.
4.Then there is lets print the map wrong. This normally happens in adventures pulled for magazines. Some editor scaled the map off. So grid is not even. For FG it does not matter. Draw an overlay and it is always straight.

Yes you have to draw a grid. However it your design and you can get creative with it :)

TheDog
May 16th, 2020, 19:40
Lonewolf thanks for the overview, I did not appreciate how the scaling can work.