PDA

View Full Version : Extension to show ac in the combat tracker?

chernobyl9093
May 10th, 2020, 03:02
(Dm, 5e) I hate having to click on the npcs in the combat tracker to see their ac, is there an extension that puts it on top with their health and initiative? Thanks!

damned
May 10th, 2020, 04:43
Welcome chernobyl9093

No one knows what ruleset you are talking about or whether you are a player or GM or anything else... for people to offer suggestions/advice they will need some more info.

chernobyl9093
May 10th, 2020, 12:12
Apologies, first time posting here, I wasn't sure if 5e was prevalent enough to make the assumption. I have edited my post. Thank you

SirMotte
May 10th, 2020, 13:10
As a workaround, at least for AC, I use an Effects entry. Careful not to accidentally make it a working one though ;). Attached is a picture. For AC I use RK as this is the corresponding German abbreviation.

Edit: Ah, sry you mean NPCs, but works like this too.

Zacchaeus
May 10th, 2020, 13:46
There isn't such an extension. I'm not sure what the use case would be - I can't think of any instance in the last 6 year where I've needed to know what an NPCs AC was. When it's the NPCs turn the AC is at the top of their info panel. When it isn't their turn you can click on the sword icon (offence icon in whatever theme you are using) for that NPC on the combat tracker and again AC is the first thing that you see. No need to open the NPC sheet.

SirMotte
May 10th, 2020, 15:08
There isn't such an extension. I'm not sure what the use case would be - I can't think of any instance in the last 6 year where I've needed to know what an NPCs AC was. When it's the NPCs turn the AC is at the top of their info panel. When it isn't their turn you can click on the sword icon (offence icon in whatever theme you are using) for that NPC on the combat tracker and again AC is the first thing that you see. No need to open the NPC sheet.

My guess is, that he uses the CT only as a reference for on site games, that's what I do too. The less interaction with screen elements necessary, the better. Clicking the sword icon also opens up all attacks of the creature. With screen space in mind and for an easy, uncluttered overview, this is not an option.

Use case scenario:
Player 1: I want to attack the atrociously smelling Goblin.
Me: Alright, roll for it!
Player 1: I rolled an 8
Me: *Quick glance at the CT* - A horrendous smell washes over you, as you get into closer proximity of the Goblin. Your eyes begin to water, imparing your sight for a moment, just enough time for the Goblin to avoid your attack.

If the AC was not instantly visible, there would be a notable pause in between the players roll and me announcing hit or miss.

I try to avoid staring at the screen too much when DMing, especially if I act out scenes. My workaround mentioned above alleviates some of this.

Cheers.

chernobyl9093
May 11th, 2020, 02:02
That is indeed the use case! And I didn't think about using the conditions for that purpose, that's really clever. It does add some more setup for the encounters but not too much, I suppose Im just being lazy and wanting the information displayed automatically haha

viviolay
May 11th, 2020, 02:34
Such an extension does exist for 5E. Damned, I don't know if you remember but you made an example of it for me to help me learn a bit about coding extensions for FG. I still am not good at all and have to learn to be honest. I really appreciated you took the time to show me an example to help me. I ended up getting flooded with work tho (I was working in education at the time) so never got to finish learning at the time. Now that my finals are over, hopefully i can go back to it.

But I use it all the time and it's held up over the years, both for my in person games and online. It makes it so its one less thing for me to have to click when I'm running as a GM - the same reason I keep monster stats sheets always visible even when it's not the monsters turn. So I can plan/respond with players if they hit (especially if they don't have attacks set up or I'm using FG to run offline).

Check this link:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44705-Is-there-an-Extension-that-adds-AC-as-a-column&highlight=

SirMotte
May 11th, 2020, 02:35
That is indeed the use case! And I didn't think about using the conditions for that purpose, that's really clever. It does add some more setup for the encounters but not too much, I suppose Im just being lazy and wanting the information displayed automatically haha

Just setup some entries for ac 1-20 in the effects window for easy drag an drop.

SirMotte
May 11th, 2020, 02:39
Such an extension does exist for 5E. Damned, I don't know if you remember but you made an example of it for me to help me learn a bit about coding extensions for FG. I still am not good at all and have to learn to be honest. I really appreciated you took the time to show me an example to help me. I ended up getting flooded with work tho (I was working in education at the time) so never got to finish learning at the time. Now that my finals are over, hopefully i can go back to it.

But I use it all the time and it's held up over the years, both for my in person games and online. It makes it so its one less thing for me to have to click when I'm running as a GM - the same reason I keep monster stats sheets always visible even when it's not the monsters turn. So I can plan/respond with players if they hit (especially if they don't have attacks set up or I'm using FG to run online).

Check this link:
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?44705-Is-there-an-Extension-that-adds-AC-as-a-column&highlight=

Well I be damned , testing now! Thx!

viviolay
May 11th, 2020, 02:53
Well I be damned , testing now! Thx and thx to damned!

Please remember it was just meant to be an example to teach me. It wasn't an official release of an extension, so please don't expect support for it or anything. It was basically a favor but it has worked for me till now.

SirMotte
May 11th, 2020, 03:08
Please remember it was just meant to be an example to teach me. It wasn't an official release of an extension, so please don't expect support for it or anything. It was basically a favor but it has worked for me till now.

Don't you worry, I wouldn't even dream of demanding anything from anyone, I'm just really happy about stuff that makes my DM life easier ;).

Edit: The Extension is still working flawlessly even in FGU! Goodbye workaround!

Edit 2: As of FGU 4.0.0 (20-05-14) The Extension produces errors.