PDA

View Full Version : Old School Essentials for MoreCore

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 9th, 2020, 16:34
Old School Essentials MoreCore

This should get you up and running to play the fantastic Old School Essentials by Nectrotic Gnome (https://necroticgnome.com). Gavin Norman has ok'd this, the decals are official OSE logos.

I'm sure there is a better way of packaging this up, but it's the best I can do with the time I've got. I only have the Unity Beta, so it's be built with that, I'd assume it will work with classic. There are three files you need to make this work all contained in OSE_MoreCore.zip:

Readme.md - info to set this all up
Old_School_Essentials MoreCore.ext - this modifies the character sheet and the NPC sheet and ties in rolls to the combat tracker. It's based on Damned's video tutorials, but there are some steps in the automation I didn't do.
Old_School_Essentials.mod - has a couple of tables and class information from the SRD and a character sheet with attributes, saving throws, attacks and damage. I will probably add Thief skills on there at some point.

You will also need the excellent MoreCore ruleset by Damned (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset)

Download OSE_MoreCore.zip
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials_MoreCore.ext file in the Fantasy Grounds/extension folder
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials.mod file in the Fantasy Grounds/modules folder
Create a new campaign using the MoreCore ruleset
Select the Old School Essentials extension (and probably an extension to apply a theme; I like to use the MoreCore - OSR Theme extension)
Once your game has loaded, in Options set:

Desktop Decal image to one of the Old School Essentials decals
CT: Initiative Dice Size to d6

Open Library and select Modules. Load the Old School Essentials module. This will load a couple of tables, classes, an example NPC with combat tracker rolls set up and a pregen character sheet that you can use to create more characters.

Notes
I have removed content from the Main and Abilities tabs, they are blank.

Changelog
2020-07-12: Updated LUA comments embedded in XML files from -- to --[[]], thanks to Varsuuk for pointing this out

damned
May 10th, 2020, 05:10
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Dimbyd
May 10th, 2020, 11:36
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 11:46
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Thanks! I've tried that and the MoreCore OSR theme, both are a great fit.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 11:47
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Appreciated... There may yet be some in Merseyside who will appreciate my efforts.

Myrdin Potter
July 9th, 2020, 06:21
Script Error: [string "npc_main:hd"]:1: 'end' expected near '<eof>'
Runtime Notice: s'aMajor: ' | { } | s' aMinor: ' | { }
Runtime Notice: s'onInit: registerResultHandler'

That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

damned
July 9th, 2020, 06:45
I believe the issue is with the comments in record_npc.xml from ln 285.

Varsuuk
July 9th, 2020, 08:08
Yup, the old "-- comment" vs " --[[ comment ]]" when in embedded xml script thing.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 9th, 2020, 18:21
That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

I'll try an update it at the weekend.

Varsuuk
July 10th, 2020, 07:04
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 12th, 2020, 14:30
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't getting the error myself so hard to know if this fixes anything, but I have applied the updates you provided to record_npc.xml, also found embedded comments in record_pcclass.xml and changed them. I've uploaded the new package to the original post.

Really pleased to hear you're developing this into a S&W MoreCore module, can't wait to see what you do with it. There's loads more that could be done with enough time...

Varsuuk
July 22nd, 2020, 16:03
Another thing I ran into was use of "." in the name="xxxx" attribute. I replaced them (in the one file I looked at) with "_" when I added a similar thing.

More info on this is on my last post, I had at first thought it was from MoreCore that I grabbed it.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60083-What-does-a-self-referential-quot-source-quot-imply&p=528290#post528290

If you are using eclipse or an editor that can take regular expressions, search on this:
name=\".*\..*\" (I added the underlining to help make clearer the extra space at end)

and it will catch that sort of naming.

GoldSeal
August 16th, 2020, 13:44
I have a problem.

I've installed MoreCore and the OSE extension.

I get the following error when I open a class:

Script Error: [string "ref_pcclass_stats"]:1: unexpected symbol near ';'

I get another error when I press on the lock icon on the class:
Script Error: [string "pcclass"]:1: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)

Any help in debugging it will appreciated.

Zar
September 5th, 2020, 11:54
When I use the Pregenerated Characters in the Library, then I have an empty Character in the "Characters" tab. I think that's how it should be. I use FGU.

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 04:16
I tried this out and making a character and a critter was easy enough.

Dragged them into the combat tracker and can see the attack / damage rolls on the abbreviated combat sheet. My PC can target the ape (and take advantage of the combat tracker sharing stats with sheet) but the critter doesn't? Since it's reading stats from the tracker, is this a bug or unimplemented feature?

damned
February 4th, 2021, 08:25
I tried this out and making a character and a critter was easy enough.

Dragged them into the combat tracker and can see the attack / damage rolls on the abbreviated combat sheet. My PC can target the ape (and take advantage of the combat tracker sharing stats with sheet) but the critter doesn't? Since it's reading stats from the tracker, is this a bug or unimplemented feature?

Could you provide a little more info?

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 19:46
Sure.

1) Installed OSE for MoreCore (following instructions in the first post)
2) Create a PC character (set HP, AC, Attacks, etc.) and dropped them into the combat tracker
3) Drag the default "Goblin" NPC that comes with the ruleset into the combat tracker
4) Using the PC, set "target" on the Goblin and roll for attacks. Chat window shows "[PC Name] 1d20 Attack (roll) vs. Goblin" <this uses the Goblin's AC to calculate success or not>
4) Using the Goblin, set "target" on the PC and roll for attacks. Chat window shows "Goblin 1d20 Attack vs " <Blank space where I was expecting the PC's name. Targeting doesn't appear to work for this ruleset mod?>

Using MoreCore Ruleset (Version 1.60 2020927)

If I do the same thing within MoreCore without the OSE Extension, Targetting works correctly.

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 19:49
Also get this error when trying to create encounters from the NPC lists.
"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/encounter_npclist.lua"]:39: attempt to call field 'addLinkToBattle' (a nil value)"

Stitched
February 14th, 2021, 20:51
So the recent update may have fixed the targeting issue and having *that* sorted, I was able to move ahead and enter all the OSE SRD Monsters, with appropriate dice rolls, etc.

StylinLP38
February 23rd, 2021, 04:52
Dang, I hoped that Old-school Essentials would be fully supported by Fantasy Grounds. I know it is in D20 and Foundry VTT. Im about to buy Foundry and give it a try. Its a shame because I put alot of work over the last 3 years learning FG.

Asterionaisien
February 23rd, 2021, 22:04
Dang, I hoped that Old-school Essentials would be fully supported by Fantasy Grounds. I know it is in D20 and Foundry VTT. Im about to buy Foundry and give it a try. Its a shame because I put alot of work over the last 3 years learning FG.

Well, for sure a Dark Dungeon (a rules cyclopedia clone) or OSE would be a fantastic addition to the store. Lots of Awesome modules!

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 09:03
In the character sheet when I press the melee attack it is not modified by anything, is it suppose to be modified by STR mod, if it is, its not working. If its not, what is the purpose of having a dice string called melee attack? maybe someone here can explain to me how to make melee attack with one button push that rolls a d20 and adds STR Mod and +1 from like a magic sword, as like a default attack the character uses 99% of the time. in other words why should we constantly have to click on the Strength modify button then add another 1 (e.g. +1 sword) from modifiers, then press on the the melee attack?

damned
April 7th, 2021, 13:43
In the character sheet when I press the melee attack it is not modified by anything, is it suppose to be modified by STR mod, if it is, its not working. If its not, what is the purpose of having a dice string called melee attack? maybe someone here can explain to me how to make melee attack with one button push that rolls a d20 and adds STR Mod and +1 from like a magic sword, as like a default attack the character uses 99% of the time. in other words why should we constantly have to click on the Strength modify button then add another 1 (e.g. +1 sword) from modifiers, then press on the the melee attack?

what is your current melee attack string please?

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 16:05
/thac0 1d20x19

OrionsArmpit
April 7th, 2021, 19:14
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG. So far I have the complete treasure type tables and magic item tables from the back of the book. I'm currently working on adding all the listed magic items as FG Item objects. The treasure and magic item tables are all rollable, generate FG Parcels to drag onto the party sheet, and once the magic items are added will link directly to those items for drag and drop play.

I have a tiny bit of coding experience (mainly hacking projects like this or playing with arduinos) but I'm very rusty and even working on a custom FG OSE theme got out of my depths quickly.

IDK if anyone else is working on similar projects, but maybe we can combine forces somehow.

Once I have the magic items finished, I should have a nice clean .mod to drop into campaigns.
I converted a bunch of monsters, but those are in my players campaign and I don't believe they can be cleanly extracted, so they'll have to be redone.

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 22:45
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG.

Thanks OrionsArmpit, that is a labor of love, normally I would be right along side of you helping out, however, I have been doing this for many different rule systems on FG, Runequest Glorantha, Forbiddden Lands, Low fantasy Gaming, etc. FWIW there are other VTTs that already have complete and robust support of Old-School Essential.

damned
April 7th, 2021, 23:59
Use this:

/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]

where (a) contains the Modifier value from your Strength

OrionsArmpit
April 8th, 2021, 03:01
Bundled it up nice for everyone.

I included OP's Old_School_Essentials.mod and the ext for my work-in-progress theme for OSE (with a 80's d&d font scheme) in additon to the OSE Treasure & Items alpha 1.mod I put together.

Just unzip to your /Fantasy Grounds/ folder, open a MoreCore campaign and select the "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension (my edited theme). In your campaign, open the Library -> Modules and load OSE Treasure and Items, as well as Old School Essentials.

You should be in business. The treasure tables are in the Treasure Types group under Tables, Magic Item tables are under the Magic Items group. Items are categorized by group

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 05:03
Use this:

/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]

where (a) contains the Modifier value from your Strength

Did what you said and got a script error. Changed the a to 2.

damned
April 8th, 2021, 06:27
From what i can see of your screenshot it does not look like you have used what I posted above.
Drag your Str (or Dex or whatever) modifier field into Ref Field A.
Enable Parameters
Hide P2 and P3
Paste
/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]
in Param Formula
Then add your THAC0 value in p1

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:01
From what i can see of your screenshot it does not look like you have used what I posted above.
Drag your Str (or Dex or whatever) modifier field into Ref Field A.
Enable Parameters
Hide P2 and P3
Paste
/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]
in Param Formula
Then add your THAC0 value in p1

It's working, and I did away with Thac0 because I'm using a BAB mechanic from OSE optional rules. Thanks Damned.

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:21

I included OP's Old_School_Essentials.mod and the ext for my work-in-progress theme for OSE (with a 80's d&d font scheme) in additon to the OSE Treasure & Items alpha 1.mod I put together.

Just unzip to your /Fantasy Grounds/ folder, open a MoreCore campaign and select the "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension (my edited theme). In your campaign, open the Library -> Modules and load OSE Treasure and Items, as well as Old School Essentials.

You should be in business. The treasure tables are in the Treasure Types group under Tables, Magic Item tables are under the Magic Items group. Items are categorized by group

Where can I find "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension I cant find a file with that name anywhere in the forums. Are you sure that is the exact name of the file. Please link it to me.

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:31

Some of the items have strange symbols in them, any idea why that happened? I'm not using unity BTW could that be the problem?

OrionsArmpit
April 8th, 2021, 18:34
its MCDbD Remix.ext in my zip file.

In the FG launcher, in the box of extensions it'll be listed as MoreCore - Damneds Basic Dungeon Remix.

Its just an alpha, but people on facebook wanted to mess with what I had going so far so *poof* here it is in the state it exists on my pc.

Phocaea
April 10th, 2021, 03:01
Is the remix Unity or Classic. I cant get it recognosed in FGU

damned
April 10th, 2021, 03:33
Is the remix Unity or Classic. I cant get it recognosed in FGU

First you need the MoreCore ruleset in your /rulesets folder and then you need the .ext in your /extensions folder and the .mod in your /modules folder.
Click Create Campaign, select MoreCore ruleset and the OSE extension.
Once loaded up you can go into Library and activate the module.

Elihu
April 11th, 2021, 20:54
Has anyone loaded all the monsters yet? Please share.

Phocaea
April 12th, 2021, 03:21
I sorted it renaming the ext as a zip and then opening that folder.

Ir seemed a bit like Russian dolls nesting in bigger dolls

The first download was a zip

the second was a compressed folder

the third and final ext was inside that

Is that how it should be or am i complicating things by not understanding the branch structure

Phocaea
April 12th, 2021, 03:26
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG. So far I have the complete treasure type tables and magic item tables from the back of the book. I'm currently working on adding all the listed magic items as FG Item objects. The treasure and magic item tables are all rollable, generate FG Parcels to drag onto the party sheet, and once the magic items are added will link directly to those items for drag and drop play.

I have a tiny bit of coding experience (mainly hacking projects like this or playing with arduinos) but I'm very rusty and even working on a custom FG OSE theme got out of my depths quickly.

IDK if anyone else is working on similar projects, but maybe we can combine forces somehow.

Once I have the magic items finished, I should have a nice clean .mod to drop into campaigns.
I converted a bunch of monsters, but those are in my players campaign and I don't believe they can be cleanly extracted, so they'll have to be redone.

Work of the Gods there Orion

wndrngdru
April 12th, 2021, 06:53
@Phocaea

It sounds like you're complicating something somewhere. If you download the Zip file in the first post of this thread and extract it, you will find 3 files inside. One is a readme.md file, the other 2 are Old_School_Essentials.mod and Old_School_Essentials_MoreCore.ext.
When you start FG there is a folder icon on the startup screen that will take you to the FG data folder (upper left in FGU, upper right in FGC).
Put the .mod file in the modules folder and the .ext file in the extensions folder.

Restart Fantasy Grounds. Start a new campaign, name it something, select MoreCore as the Ruleset for the campaign. In the extensions window panel, you should see Old School Essentials listed. Select it and hit Start (after selecting your network options).
The OSE module should show up in your Library in the modules screen.

OrionsArmpit
April 12th, 2021, 12:58
Adding the monsters as NPC's with MoreCore rolls integration is a much slower process. I'm going through the monster SRD and adding the ones that fit my jungle wilderness hex crawl campaign first.

I'm also *painfully* teaching myself XML and Lua and trying to learn how the themes extensions work. I've started some custom artwork for character sheets.

Idk when to expect the full monster list, but I'll rezip the files once I finish the ones I need for Fridays game.

What's been the standard way of handling OGL content that's shared, make a Story that's states all content is from Necrotic Gnome's SRD and include a copy of updated OGL?