PDA

View Full Version : Old School Essentials for MoreCore

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 9th, 2020, 16:34
Old School Essentials MoreCore

This should get you up and running to play the fantastic Old School Essentials by Nectrotic Gnome (https://necroticgnome.com). Gavin Norman has ok'd this, the decals are official OSE logos.

I'm sure there is a better way of packaging this up, but it's the best I can do with the time I've got. I only have the Unity Beta, so it's be built with that, I'd assume it will work with classic. There are three files you need to make this work all contained in OSE_MoreCore.zip:

Readme.md - info to set this all up
Old_School_Essentials MoreCore.ext - this modifies the character sheet and the NPC sheet and ties in rolls to the combat tracker. It's based on Damned's video tutorials, but there are some steps in the automation I didn't do.
Old_School_Essentials.mod - has a couple of tables and class information from the SRD and a character sheet with attributes, saving throws, attacks and damage. I will probably add Thief skills on there at some point.

You will also need the excellent MoreCore ruleset by Damned (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset)

Download OSE_MoreCore.zip
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials_MoreCore.ext file in the Fantasy Grounds/extension folder
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials.mod file in the Fantasy Grounds/modules folder
Create a new campaign using the MoreCore ruleset
Select the Old School Essentials extension (and probably an extension to apply a theme; I like to use the MoreCore - OSR Theme extension)
Once your game has loaded, in Options set:

Desktop Decal image to one of the Old School Essentials decals
CT: Initiative Dice Size to d6

Open Library and select Modules. Load the Old School Essentials module. This will load a couple of tables, classes, an example NPC with combat tracker rolls set up and a pregen character sheet that you can use to create more characters.

Notes
I have removed content from the Main and Abilities tabs, they are blank.

Changelog
2020-07-12: Updated LUA comments embedded in XML files from -- to --[[]], thanks to Varsuuk for pointing this out

EDIT: Please use the separate .EXT file for now

damned
May 10th, 2020, 05:10
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Dimbyd
May 10th, 2020, 11:36
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 11:46
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Thanks! I've tried that and the MoreCore OSR theme, both are a great fit.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 11:47
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Appreciated... There may yet be some in Merseyside who will appreciate my efforts.

Myrdin Potter
July 9th, 2020, 06:21
Script Error: [string "npc_main:hd"]:1: 'end' expected near '<eof>'
Runtime Notice: s'aMajor: ' | { } | s' aMinor: ' | { }
Runtime Notice: s'onInit: registerResultHandler'

That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

damned
July 9th, 2020, 06:45
I believe the issue is with the comments in record_npc.xml from ln 285.

Varsuuk
July 9th, 2020, 08:08
Yup, the old "-- comment" vs " --[[ comment ]]" when in embedded xml script thing.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 9th, 2020, 18:21
That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

I'll try an update it at the weekend.

Varsuuk
July 10th, 2020, 07:04
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 12th, 2020, 14:30
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't getting the error myself so hard to know if this fixes anything, but I have applied the updates you provided to record_npc.xml, also found embedded comments in record_pcclass.xml and changed them. I've uploaded the new package to the original post.

Really pleased to hear you're developing this into a S&W MoreCore module, can't wait to see what you do with it. There's loads more that could be done with enough time...

Varsuuk
July 22nd, 2020, 16:03
Another thing I ran into was use of "." in the name="xxxx" attribute. I replaced them (in the one file I looked at) with "_" when I added a similar thing.

More info on this is on my last post, I had at first thought it was from MoreCore that I grabbed it.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60083-What-does-a-self-referential-quot-source-quot-imply&p=528290#post528290

If you are using eclipse or an editor that can take regular expressions, search on this:
name=\".*\..*\" (I added the underlining to help make clearer the extra space at end)

and it will catch that sort of naming.

GoldSeal
August 16th, 2020, 13:44
I have a problem.

I've installed MoreCore and the OSE extension.

I get the following error when I open a class:

Script Error: [string "ref_pcclass_stats"]:1: unexpected symbol near ';'

I get another error when I press on the lock icon on the class:
Script Error: [string "pcclass"]:1: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)

Any help in debugging it will appreciated.

Zar
September 5th, 2020, 11:54
When I use the Pregenerated Characters in the Library, then I have an empty Character in the "Characters" tab. I think that's how it should be. I use FGU.

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 04:16
I tried this out and making a character and a critter was easy enough.

Dragged them into the combat tracker and can see the attack / damage rolls on the abbreviated combat sheet. My PC can target the ape (and take advantage of the combat tracker sharing stats with sheet) but the critter doesn't? Since it's reading stats from the tracker, is this a bug or unimplemented feature?

damned
February 4th, 2021, 08:25
I tried this out and making a character and a critter was easy enough.

Dragged them into the combat tracker and can see the attack / damage rolls on the abbreviated combat sheet. My PC can target the ape (and take advantage of the combat tracker sharing stats with sheet) but the critter doesn't? Since it's reading stats from the tracker, is this a bug or unimplemented feature?

Could you provide a little more info?

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 19:46
Sure.

1) Installed OSE for MoreCore (following instructions in the first post)
2) Create a PC character (set HP, AC, Attacks, etc.) and dropped them into the combat tracker
3) Drag the default "Goblin" NPC that comes with the ruleset into the combat tracker
4) Using the PC, set "target" on the Goblin and roll for attacks. Chat window shows "[PC Name] 1d20 Attack (roll) vs. Goblin" <this uses the Goblin's AC to calculate success or not>
4) Using the Goblin, set "target" on the PC and roll for attacks. Chat window shows "Goblin 1d20 Attack vs " <Blank space where I was expecting the PC's name. Targeting doesn't appear to work for this ruleset mod?>

Using MoreCore Ruleset (Version 1.60 2020927)

If I do the same thing within MoreCore without the OSE Extension, Targetting works correctly.

Stitched
February 4th, 2021, 19:49
Also get this error when trying to create encounters from the NPC lists.
"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/encounter_npclist.lua"]:39: attempt to call field 'addLinkToBattle' (a nil value)"

Stitched
February 14th, 2021, 20:51
So the recent update may have fixed the targeting issue and having *that* sorted, I was able to move ahead and enter all the OSE SRD Monsters, with appropriate dice rolls, etc.

StylinLP38
February 23rd, 2021, 04:52
Dang, I hoped that Old-school Essentials would be fully supported by Fantasy Grounds. I know it is in D20 and Foundry VTT. Im about to buy Foundry and give it a try. Its a shame because I put alot of work over the last 3 years learning FG.

Asterionaisien
February 23rd, 2021, 22:04
Dang, I hoped that Old-school Essentials would be fully supported by Fantasy Grounds. I know it is in D20 and Foundry VTT. Im about to buy Foundry and give it a try. Its a shame because I put alot of work over the last 3 years learning FG.

Well, for sure a Dark Dungeon (a rules cyclopedia clone) or OSE would be a fantastic addition to the store. Lots of Awesome modules!

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 09:03
In the character sheet when I press the melee attack it is not modified by anything, is it suppose to be modified by STR mod, if it is, its not working. If its not, what is the purpose of having a dice string called melee attack? maybe someone here can explain to me how to make melee attack with one button push that rolls a d20 and adds STR Mod and +1 from like a magic sword, as like a default attack the character uses 99% of the time. in other words why should we constantly have to click on the Strength modify button then add another 1 (e.g. +1 sword) from modifiers, then press on the the melee attack?

damned
April 7th, 2021, 13:43
In the character sheet when I press the melee attack it is not modified by anything, is it suppose to be modified by STR mod, if it is, its not working. If its not, what is the purpose of having a dice string called melee attack? maybe someone here can explain to me how to make melee attack with one button push that rolls a d20 and adds STR Mod and +1 from like a magic sword, as like a default attack the character uses 99% of the time. in other words why should we constantly have to click on the Strength modify button then add another 1 (e.g. +1 sword) from modifiers, then press on the the melee attack?

what is your current melee attack string please?

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 16:05
/thac0 1d20x19

OrionsArmpit
April 7th, 2021, 19:14
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG. So far I have the complete treasure type tables and magic item tables from the back of the book. I'm currently working on adding all the listed magic items as FG Item objects. The treasure and magic item tables are all rollable, generate FG Parcels to drag onto the party sheet, and once the magic items are added will link directly to those items for drag and drop play.

I have a tiny bit of coding experience (mainly hacking projects like this or playing with arduinos) but I'm very rusty and even working on a custom FG OSE theme got out of my depths quickly.

IDK if anyone else is working on similar projects, but maybe we can combine forces somehow.

Once I have the magic items finished, I should have a nice clean .mod to drop into campaigns.
I converted a bunch of monsters, but those are in my players campaign and I don't believe they can be cleanly extracted, so they'll have to be redone.

Elihu
April 7th, 2021, 22:45
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG.

Thanks OrionsArmpit, that is a labor of love, normally I would be right along side of you helping out, however, I have been doing this for many different rule systems on FG, Runequest Glorantha, Forbiddden Lands, Low fantasy Gaming, etc. FWIW there are other VTTs that already have complete and robust support of Old-School Essential.

damned
April 7th, 2021, 23:59
Use this:

/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]

where (a) contains the Modifier value from your Strength

OrionsArmpit
April 8th, 2021, 03:01
Bundled it up nice for everyone.

I included OP's Old_School_Essentials.mod and the ext for my work-in-progress theme for OSE (with a 80's d&d font scheme) in additon to the OSE Treasure & Items alpha 1.mod I put together.

Just unzip to your /Fantasy Grounds/ folder, open a MoreCore campaign and select the "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension (my edited theme). In your campaign, open the Library -> Modules and load OSE Treasure and Items, as well as Old School Essentials.

You should be in business. The treasure tables are in the Treasure Types group under Tables, Magic Item tables are under the Magic Items group. Items are categorized by group

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 05:03
Use this:

/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]

where (a) contains the Modifier value from your Strength

Did what you said and got a script error. Changed the a to 2.

damned
April 8th, 2021, 06:27
From what i can see of your screenshot it does not look like you have used what I posted above.
Drag your Str (or Dex or whatever) modifier field into Ref Field A.
Enable Parameters
Hide P2 and P3
Paste
/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]
in Param Formula
Then add your THAC0 value in p1

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:01
From what i can see of your screenshot it does not look like you have used what I posted above.
Enable Parameters
Hide P2 and P3
Paste
/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]
in Param Formula

It's working, and I did away with Thac0 because I'm using a BAB mechanic from OSE optional rules. Thanks Damned.

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:21

I included OP's Old_School_Essentials.mod and the ext for my work-in-progress theme for OSE (with a 80's d&d font scheme) in additon to the OSE Treasure & Items alpha 1.mod I put together.

Just unzip to your /Fantasy Grounds/ folder, open a MoreCore campaign and select the "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension (my edited theme). In your campaign, open the Library -> Modules and load OSE Treasure and Items, as well as Old School Essentials.

You should be in business. The treasure tables are in the Treasure Types group under Tables, Magic Item tables are under the Magic Items group. Items are categorized by group

Where can I find "MoreCore - Damned Basic Dungeon Remix" extension I cant find a file with that name anywhere in the forums. Are you sure that is the exact name of the file. Please link it to me.

Elihu
April 8th, 2021, 07:31

Some of the items have strange symbols in them, any idea why that happened? I'm not using unity BTW could that be the problem?

OrionsArmpit
April 8th, 2021, 18:34
its MCDbD Remix.ext in my zip file.

In the FG launcher, in the box of extensions it'll be listed as MoreCore - Damneds Basic Dungeon Remix.

Its just an alpha, but people on facebook wanted to mess with what I had going so far so *poof* here it is in the state it exists on my pc.

Phocaea
April 10th, 2021, 03:01
Is the remix Unity or Classic. I cant get it recognosed in FGU

damned
April 10th, 2021, 03:33
Is the remix Unity or Classic. I cant get it recognosed in FGU

First you need the MoreCore ruleset in your /rulesets folder and then you need the .ext in your /extensions folder and the .mod in your /modules folder.
Click Create Campaign, select MoreCore ruleset and the OSE extension.
Once loaded up you can go into Library and activate the module.

Elihu
April 11th, 2021, 20:54
Has anyone loaded all the monsters yet? Please share.

Phocaea
April 12th, 2021, 03:21
I sorted it renaming the ext as a zip and then opening that folder.

Ir seemed a bit like Russian dolls nesting in bigger dolls

The first download was a zip

the second was a compressed folder

the third and final ext was inside that

Is that how it should be or am i complicating things by not understanding the branch structure

Phocaea
April 12th, 2021, 03:26
I'm working on adding most of the content from the OSE SRD into FG. So far I have the complete treasure type tables and magic item tables from the back of the book. I'm currently working on adding all the listed magic items as FG Item objects. The treasure and magic item tables are all rollable, generate FG Parcels to drag onto the party sheet, and once the magic items are added will link directly to those items for drag and drop play.

I have a tiny bit of coding experience (mainly hacking projects like this or playing with arduinos) but I'm very rusty and even working on a custom FG OSE theme got out of my depths quickly.

IDK if anyone else is working on similar projects, but maybe we can combine forces somehow.

Once I have the magic items finished, I should have a nice clean .mod to drop into campaigns.
I converted a bunch of monsters, but those are in my players campaign and I don't believe they can be cleanly extracted, so they'll have to be redone.

Work of the Gods there Orion

wndrngdru
April 12th, 2021, 06:53
@Phocaea

It sounds like you're complicating something somewhere. If you download the Zip file in the first post of this thread and extract it, you will find 3 files inside. One is a readme.md file, the other 2 are Old_School_Essentials.mod and Old_School_Essentials_MoreCore.ext.
When you start FG there is a folder icon on the startup screen that will take you to the FG data folder (upper left in FGU, upper right in FGC).
Put the .mod file in the modules folder and the .ext file in the extensions folder.

Restart Fantasy Grounds. Start a new campaign, name it something, select MoreCore as the Ruleset for the campaign. In the extensions window panel, you should see Old School Essentials listed. Select it and hit Start (after selecting your network options).
The OSE module should show up in your Library in the modules screen.

OrionsArmpit
April 12th, 2021, 12:58
Adding the monsters as NPC's with MoreCore rolls integration is a much slower process. I'm going through the monster SRD and adding the ones that fit my jungle wilderness hex crawl campaign first.

I'm also *painfully* teaching myself XML and Lua and trying to learn how the themes extensions work. I've started some custom artwork for character sheets.

Idk when to expect the full monster list, but I'll rezip the files once I finish the ones I need for Fridays game.

What's been the standard way of handling OGL content that's shared, make a Story that's states all content is from Necrotic Gnome's SRD and include a copy of updated OGL?

damned
April 12th, 2021, 13:26
You must include a copy of the OGL with any SRD content you distribute.

OrionsArmpit
April 12th, 2021, 13:29
Yeah.

I was asking the most common way of doing that.

damned
April 12th, 2021, 13:53
A single Story entry is the most common way.
If you create a reference Manual (using Author) then make sure you include it in the RefMan too.

OrionsArmpit
April 12th, 2021, 20:30

Teaser of the format I'm using for the NPC's. Descending AC & THAC0 for max compatibility with BX content, using the /thac0 roll.

Varsuuk
April 20th, 2021, 01:50
Do any of the mods contain Spells?

I am actually only looking for inspiration - I like what I saw on Low Fantasy, but I wanted to see if anyone did anything for OSE - even a couple spells - heck even one although a couple would be better so I can see how they approached spells with damage, effects or savable (half/none/etc) effects. I don't expect full automation - just wanted to see how people address this topic.

If there is a copyright issue - simply posting a couple examples with entries text changes to mostly "blah blah" but the roll strings chosen being there would work to start.

I liked what the poster did with NPCs and putting their treasure table on the NPC to be rolled. My system does not have that per se.

damned
April 20th, 2021, 03:49
Currently there is no support for effects and no save/half-damage etc options...

Varsuuk
April 20th, 2021, 04:09
I meant to see if anyone did anything relying to it

Like, add to mods block a 1/2 so when you roll a damage roller it applies 1/2 is one that comes to mind (not sure if doable easily, suspect it is - the most annoying pet is the modifier block at bottom like *2, +5 etc you see on some Rulesets.

But mainly wanted to see how people approach creating spells for MC based rulesets - otherwise I might not see beyond my own ideas.

Xorn
April 20th, 2021, 15:35
I've been putting the entire Rules Cyclopedia into a MoreCore module w/ Reference Manual over the last week or two. Really wish I had noticed this thread first...

EDIT: Oh cool so I tried loading with the extension and it looks pretty good, especially the Save As portion--though I need to edit the extension to use the RC/BECMI saving throw tables instead. I think that might be feasible, we'll see!

EDIT2: Okay so updating the tables for class saving throws and the monster THAC0 was pretty easy.

https://puu.sh/HzZVs/95ba51da75.png

How hard would it be to make the Saves fields rollable fields? I'd like them to be "/sthrow 1d20>(a)" with (a) being the save target.

Idward
June 21st, 2021, 01:18
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. I am not able to set the CT: Initiative Dice Size to D6. I can do d10, d100, d20, d12, or 2d10.

Stitched
July 11th, 2021, 16:47
I am not sure if I am doing something wrong or not. I am not able to set the CT: Initiative Dice Size to D6. I can do d10, d100, d20, d12, or 2d10.

Not sure if it's a bug but IF you unzip the MoreCore.pak file (under rulesets) into it's own MoreCore folder, you will be able to access ALL the dice that are available for rolling initiative; including d6.

Why? I have no idea.

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 04:25
Not sure if it's a bug but IF you unzip the MoreCore.pak file (under rulesets) into it's own MoreCore folder, you will be able to access ALL the dice that are available for rolling initiative; including d6.

Why? I have no idea.

I too can't get the initiative to be a D6. Can you please walk me through your solution? Thank you

Stitched
July 20th, 2021, 04:43
I too can't get the initiative to be a D6. Can you please walk me through your solution? Thank you

In your Fantasy Grounds data folder (it's "C:\ProgramData\Fantasy Grounds" for me)

It will look something like this (where all your campaigns, extensions, and rulesets install to.

*** Under "rulesets", you see a bunch of .pak files. Use UnRar or 7Zip (or other zip file utility) and unzip the MoreCore.pak file into a folder called "MoreCore". (it is entirely possible you don't need to make this step).

Launch Fantasy Grounds

Under Campaign Options (Gear shaped icon or labelled "Opt" - upper right hand corner of the interface), open it, and scroll down to "CT: Initiative Dice Size" and use the left arrow to change the dice until you see "d6" (using the right arrow or clicking the window doesn't seem to show that as an option).

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 05:54
It worked! Thank you! Now if I can only figure out how to get my stat bonuses to add to my attack rolls.

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 06:15
Enable Parameters
Hide P2 and P3
Paste
/thac0 1d20x[(p1)-(a)]
in Param Formula

I am having the same problem. I have copied and pasted your steps above and it still will not add the stat modifier to the attack rolls. Can you walk me through it? Thank you.

Stitched
July 20th, 2021, 06:15
It worked! Thank you! Now if I can only figure out how to get my stat bonuses to add to my attack rolls.

Depending on what kind of attack, I use this:

For melee: /thac0 1d20+(a)x(b) :
Where (a) is dragging your Strength modifier into Ref Field A
Where (b) is dragging your Thac0 into Ref Field B

For ranged: /thac0 1d20x(a) :
Where (a) is dragging your Dex modifier into Ref Field A

You can do the same for damage rolls : /dbdamage (dice) + Attribute modifier dragged into Ref Field A

Once you create these, you can copy/drag them onto other PC sheets (or create it under Rolls and drag from there)

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 06:36
Depending on what kind of attack, I use this:

For melee: /thac0 d1d20+(a)x(b) :
Where (a) is dragging your Strength modifier into Ref Field A

For ranged: /thac0 d120x(a) :
Where (a) is dragging your Dex modifier into Ref Field A

You can do the same for damage rolls : /dbdamage (dice) + Attribute modifier dragged into Ref Field A

Once you create these, you can copy/drag them onto other PC sheets (or create it under Rolls and drag from there)

You are a hero! It still is not working for me though. I tried to make an attack with the instructions you gave and it is showing an error.

Stitched
July 20th, 2021, 06:59
* Noticed I made mistakes in your quoted reply. I've corrected the original msg but it should be correct in the image below *

Make sure you are changing the formula under "Param Formula" and not "Dice String", otherwise it won't work.

Drag the attribute modifier and THAC0 in the Ref Fields like the image shows.

Backstab is special because it adds an extra "bonus" to attack. For regular attacks, you still use the /thac0 1d20+(a)x(b) formula.

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 07:13

I took a screen shot. It is only rolling a 2. IDK what I am doing wrong. Thanks again man.

Stitched
July 20th, 2021, 07:16

I took a screen shot. It is only rolling a 2. IDK what I am doing wrong. Thanks again man.

I made a mistake in typing the syntax (which I later corrected)

Your roll should read :

/thac0 1d20+(a)x(b)

Just remove the extra 'd' from it before the '1d20' and it should work.

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 07:20
It works! I used the formulae: /thac0 1d20+(a)x(b) : you posted! Thank you sir!

Durhazz
July 20th, 2021, 07:27
It works! I thought I was losing my mind. Thank you sir!

Durhazz
July 26th, 2021, 00:17
* Noticed I made mistakes in your quoted reply. I've corrected the original msg but it should be correct in the image below *

Make sure you are changing the formula under "Param Formula" and not "Dice String", otherwise it won't work.

Drag the attribute modifier and THAC0 in the Ref Fields like the image shows.

Backstab is special because it adds an extra "bonus" to attack. For regular attacks, you still use the /thac0 1d20+(a)x(b) formula.

Can you show me how to set up back stab damage? I figured out how to set up back stab attack with your help. Thank you.

Stitched
July 26th, 2021, 02:28
Can you show me how to set up back stab damage? I figured out how to set up back stab attack with your help. Thank you.

"Back-stab
When attacking an unaware opponent from behind, a thief receives a +4 bonus to hit and doubles any damage dealt."

There's no way to "multiply" damage automagically in MoreCore so you would just calculate it normally:

/damageroll 1d6+(a) :: where (a) is your character sheet strength (or any other modifiers, like from weapons, etc)

And drag the chat roll result AGAIN onto the NPC "Wounds" stat in the Combat Tracker.

Durhazz
July 26th, 2021, 03:51
Ok cool. Thank you. How do you set up thief skill checks? Similar to exploration skills but n in 100 as opposed to n in 6?

Stitched
July 26th, 2021, 04:04
Ok cool. Thank you. How do you set up thief skill checks? Similar to exploration skills but n in 100 as opposed to n in 6?

You use the Symbaroum dice roller:

/symb 1d20x# (roll equal/under target)

but instead of d20, use d100

/symb 1d100x(a)

where (a) refers to Ref Field A which is populated by the value you enter in the box under Thief Skills

In this case "Climb Sheer Surfaces" for a Level 4 Thief is 90 so I drag that "90" value into Ref Field A for the dice roller for that skill (as per image 1)

All dice syntax can be found here : https://www.diehard-gaming.com/mchelp.html and is how I figured out the syntax for various checks/rolls for my OSE sheets.

Durhazz
July 26th, 2021, 04:12
You have been of immense help. Thanks again.

damned
July 26th, 2021, 04:40
Drag the damage roll on to the target a second time from chat to do the double damage

Durhazz
July 26th, 2021, 17:13
I have a problem.

I've installed MoreCore and the OSE extension.

I get the following error when I open a class:

Script Error: [string "ref_pcclass_stats"]:1: unexpected symbol near ';'

I get another error when I press on the lock icon on the class:
Script Error: [string "pcclass"]:1: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)

Any help in debugging it will appreciated.

I too am getting this error. Have you figured out a fix? Thank you.48409

damned
July 27th, 2021, 12:13
Do you get teh error with MoreCore only?

Durhazz
July 27th, 2021, 23:18
Yes. Only When I to to open a class in OSE mod.

Stitched
July 28th, 2021, 19:59
They are asking if the bug occurs without the OSE Extension/Ruleset active.

Running MoreCore and clicking the Classes side panel button doesn't bring up an error.

Running MoreCore with the OSE Extension produces the error.

"Script Error: [string "ref_pcclass_stats"]:1: unexpected symbol near ';'"

If I unpak the OSE ruleset and do a search for "ref_pcclass_stats", I find the follow errors in the code:

function update()
local bReadOnly = WindowManager.getReadOnlyState(getDatabaseNode());
classdesc.update(bReadOnly);
prime.update(bReadOnly);
requirements.update(bReadOnly);
--[[ xpbonus.update(bReadOnly)]];
hitdice.update(bReadOnly);
maxlevel.update(bReadOnly);
armour.update(bReadOnly);
weapons.update(bReadOnly);
languages.update(bReadOnly);
special.update(bReadOnly);
combat.update(bReadOnly);
level_nine.update(bReadOnly);
bookref.update(bReadOnly);
--[[ xplevel.update(bReadOnly)]];
--[[ savingthrows.update(bReadOnly)]];
--[[ highlevels.update(bReadOnly)]];
end

The lines with -- and [] are causing the error. Removing those lines and running it again removes the FG errors.

Durhazz
July 28th, 2021, 20:11
I just ran it with the OSE extension disabled and the error does not occur. Is there a workaround?

Durhazz
July 28th, 2021, 20:21
Upak the OSE Mod or the OSE extension? I'm way over my head here. Thanks again Stitched.

Stitched
July 28th, 2021, 20:37
Use Unzip / Unrar and unpack the OSE Extension .ext file, under Extensions, into a folder with the same name.

Inside that folder, there will be another folder named "common". Inside that, a file called "record_pcclass.xml". Copy and paste that file to create a backup. Name it "__record_pcclass_back.xml'

Edit "record_pcclass.xml" file using notepad++, or other text editor, and remove the lines starting with "--" found under <windowclass name="ref_pcclass_stats">

(You'll see the "function update()" call underneath that, like I posted above).

Save the file and restart Fantasy Grounds.

This should remove the Class error.

Durhazz
July 28th, 2021, 21:01
Like I said I am way over my head. I can't figure out how to rezip into a .ext file?

Stitched
July 28th, 2021, 21:10
You don't have to rezip it. You can run FG without repacking it.

If you WANT to repack it, zip the folder into a .zip file and rename it to .ext

Durhazz
July 28th, 2021, 21:16
Ha! I owe you a beer sir! It now works perfectly!

Stitched
July 28th, 2021, 21:20
Only one beer?
C'est b'en cheap, ça!

You might have to go in a fix the textual errors in the class descriptions. Looks like they just copy/pasted from the online HMTL SRD. Dragging the Class stuff onto a character sheet doesn't auto-fill Saving Throws etc.

Just adjusts the Class name and level.

Durhazz
July 28th, 2021, 21:35
You're right what a cheapo! As many Drinks as you want on me! I don't know how to fix the textual errors. I am just glad it works now. I have an unrelated question: How are you doing spells? Do you create the spells description under "Abilities" tab and then add damage strings etc. to the character sheet as needed?

Stitched
July 28th, 2021, 22:28
For spells, I just straight copy/pasted from the OSR into a Spell Entry. Usually handle everything manually.
If there are rolls, I'll make a roll just like I do with character sheets (it's the same dice engine as attacks/damage).

Durhazz
July 31st, 2021, 08:36
When I try to add and OSE NPC's to an encounter it will not let me and I get the following error: IS there a known fix? 48492

Stitched
July 31st, 2021, 15:56
When I try to add and OSE NPC's to an encounter it will not let me and I get the following error: IS there a known fix? 48492

There isn’t because it’s an OSE extension error. I do not why since the MoreCore functionality works as it should, without the extension running. If the extension is overriding the MC one, it might be possible to remove the overriding file and see if that works. I’d have to do some sleuthing to find out where this function is enabled in code.

Durhazz
August 1st, 2021, 03:58
There isn’t because it’s an OSE extension error. I do not why since the MoreCore functionality works as it should, without the extension running. If the extension is overriding the MC one, it might be possible to remove the overriding file and see if that works. I’d have to do some sleuthing to find out where this function is enabled in code.

If you manage to get that working that would be awesome! Thanks as always friend.

Stitched
August 1st, 2021, 05:11
So, I am having trouble finding where in the files the code for handling encounters is, since the error message is referring to a .lua file that doesn't seem to exist?

"Script Error: [string "campaign/scripts/encounter_npclist.lua"]:39: attempt to call field 'addLinkToBattle' (a nil value)"

I had assumed it was a problem in the OSE Extension but searching for "encounter_npclist.lua" string or any variation of that in the Extension director doesn't find any reference to it. It also doesn't show up in a search of the MoreCore Ruleset OR the entire Fantasy Grounds installation folder.

Here's the SUPER weird part (and I am hoping @Damned or whoever is writing/working on MoreCore can answer this question):

If I run MoreCore native, without OSE, and I have a module with all my OSE NPCs, I can create Encounters with them that work within the Combat Tracker.

IF I exit out, and run the OSE extenion, the Encounters panel will still have my encounter available and it will drop in to the Combat Tracker without errors.

I should note that the problem isn't Creating A New Encounter (that works and you can name it, etc.) The error occurs when you drag and drop an NPC into it so whatever code is responsible for adding/updating a list (for encounters) seems to be the issue.

---------------------------

Now, it's a SUPER PITA workaround to build all your encounters OUTSIDE of OSE and then enable OSE when you want to play but that's one way that appears to work.

If anyone who knows MoreCore well can direct me to what code files are responsible for Encounter handling, it'd be appreciated.

Maybe it's handled in the CoreRPG.pak? I don't know.

But seeing that it works with the OSE extension OFF, makes me believe that some file within OSE is overriding MoreCore's ability to handle encounters properly.

If I can find that, then I know how to fix it.

Durhazz
August 1st, 2021, 05:38
Great work again! That is not ideal but at least it is a solid work around.

damned
August 1st, 2021, 06:08
If someone links me to all the files they are using and the exact steps to reproduce Ill have a look at it.

Stitched
August 1st, 2021, 06:30
If someone links me to all the files they are using and the exact steps to reproduce Ill have a look at it.

Check your inbox. Can use that .mod file for testing.

Durhazz
August 3rd, 2021, 06:23
I have another error. When I use the MoreCore Dungeon theme i get this error:48547 any know fixes or work arounds? This error only occurs on log in to FGU.

damned
August 3rd, 2021, 06:53
Check your inbox. Can use that .mod file for testing.

I need the MOD file, I need you to link me to the versions of all extensions you are loading and I need you to describe how to generate the error please.

Stitched
August 3rd, 2021, 21:04
I described it in the private message I sent you.

Using the latest MoreCore, add the OSE extension (first message from this thread), and add the .mod file I sent you. Within FG, inside the library, you can "activate" the mod and be able to add NPCs.

Stitched
August 3rd, 2021, 21:04
I have another error. When I use the MoreCore Dungeon theme i get this error:48547 any know fixes or work arounds? This error only occurs on log in to FGU.

Must be specific to FG Unity as the Dungeon theme works fine in the Classic version.

Durhazz
August 4th, 2021, 08:00
Is there a way to create effects with Morecore and OSE like a +1 or -1 effect?

Stitched
August 4th, 2021, 17:24
Is there a way to create effects with Morecore and OSE like a +1 or -1 effect?

Upper Right Panel, under "Mod".

Box to the right of the text entry is your +/- modifier to rolls. If you want to apply an effect to a roll, select the +- button on the left of the text and roll as you would normally (attacks, saving throws, ability checks, etc.)

For Status Effects, look under the Upper Right Panel "FX" (or something similar): It'll allow you to name/define the Effect and the Duration. This will be draggable onto the Effect subtab of the Combat Tracker character/NPC sheets.

Durhazz
August 5th, 2021, 02:05
That is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks again!

Stitched
August 13th, 2021, 19:24
So, further digging into the Encounter/NPC code break, I unzipped the CoreRPG ruleset and found the file/reference the error produces - "campaign/scripts/encounter_npclist.lua" which looks like this:

if draginfo.isType("shortcut") then
local sClass,sRecord = draginfo.getShortcutData();
NPCManager.addLinkToBattle(window.getDatabaseNode( ), sClass, sRecord);
return true;
end
end

and the actual addLinkToBattle function (in CoreRPG's "manager_npc.lua" file)

function addLinkToBattle(nodeBattle, sLinkClass, sLinkRecord, nCount)
local sTargetNPCList = LibraryData.getCustomData("battle", "npclist") or "npclist";

if sLinkClass == "battle" then
local nodeTargetNPCList = DB.createChild(nodeBattle, sTargetNPCList);
for _,nodeSrcNPC in pairs(DB.getChildren(DB.getPath(sLinkRecord, sTargetNPCList))) do
local nodeTargetNPC = DB.createChild(nodeTargetNPCList);
DB.copyNode(nodeSrcNPC, nodeTargetNPC);
if nCount then
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "count", "number", DB.getValue(nodeTargetNPC, "count", 1) * nCount);
end
end
else
local bHandle = false;
local sLinkSourceType = NPCManager.getNPCSourceType(sLinkRecord);
if sLinkSourceType == "npc" then
bHandle = true;
else
local aCombatClasses = LibraryData.getCustomData("battle", "acceptdrop") or { "npc" };
if StringManager.contains(aCombatClasses, sLinkSourceType) then
bHandle = true;
elseif StringManager.contains(aCombatClasses, sLinkClass) then
ChatManager.SystemMessage(Interface.getString("battle_message_wrong_source"));
return false;
end
end

if bHandle then
local sName = DB.getValue(DB.getPath(sLinkRecord, "name"), "");

local nodeTargetNPCList = DB.createChild(nodeBattle, sTargetNPCList);
local nodeTargetNPC = DB.createChild(nodeTargetNPCList);
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "count", "number", nCount or 1);
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "name", "string", sName);
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "link", "windowreference", sLinkClass, sLinkRecord);

local nodeID = DB.getChild(sLinkRecord, "isidentified");
if nodeID then
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "isidentified", "number", nodeID.getValue());
end

local sToken = DB.getValue(DB.getPath(sLinkRecord, "token"), "");
if sToken == "" or not Interface.isToken(sToken) then
local sLetter = StringManager.trim(sName):match("^([a-zA-Z])");
if sLetter then
sToken = "tokens/Medium/" .. sLetter:lower() .. ".png@Letter Tokens";
else
sToken = "tokens/Medium/z.png@Letter Tokens";
end
end
DB.setValue(nodeTargetNPC, "token", "token", sToken);
else
return false;
end
end

return true;
end

So it's either breaking on the DatabaseNode, the Class, or the Record. Since this works in native MoreCore (which is probably calling these nodes correctly), it's something inside the OSE handler for NPCs that is missing data in one of these 3 things - which is weird because it looks like basic data handling (you can still drag NPCs, by their shortcuts, into the Combat Tracker).

How MoreCore displays NPCs in Encounters.

I think OSE has some kind of missing/broken link to any of the elements shown in the MoreCore Encouter/NPCs : The token, the # of NPCs, the name string, the ID, the Faction, the Skull shortcut (to the individual NPC stats)

Where these are stored/defined in the OSE rules, I do not know. Some kind of definition file for NPC data OR the way the NPC data is handled (like the above manager_npc.lua file). From what I can see inside the OSE ruleset, there doesn't seem to be any custom handler so it relies on the CoreRPG/MoreCore functionality and breaks due to a disconnect of fields/datatypes stored.

Really wish the Extension creator hadn't abandoned their code for a year.

damned
August 15th, 2021, 01:00
Ok I have found and fixed the NPC/Encounter issue.
Uploading to the first post now.

Stitched
August 15th, 2021, 01:28
Fantastic.

Thanks you so much!

Durhazz
August 15th, 2021, 02:13
Awesome Thank you damned!

seansps
August 18th, 2021, 15:01
Hi all, I've been following this thread since I am interested in getting into OSE sometime in the future. Just wondering, is it possible to load up the existing classic D&D FG modules in the MoreCore/OSE ruleset? For instance any of the converted B/E adventures, or the AD&D adventures?

From what I understand, AD&D 1e/2e is pretty easy to convert and run those modules in OSE, but not sure if those modules are supported by MoreCore.

damned
August 18th, 2021, 15:03
I believe that if you use the Universal Modules extension you should be able to load up the maps and story.
You will also see the encounters but the monsters will need to be replaced.

seansps
August 18th, 2021, 15:06
I believe that if you use the Universal Modules extension you should be able to load up the maps and story.
You will also see the encounters but the monsters will need to be replaced.

Thanks! Yeah that makes sense; since the stat blocks are surely different. But even if it’s just monsters, having the maps and story there already would be a major help with preparation.

Durhazz
August 18th, 2021, 21:38
I have keep on the borderlands for 2e and It loads up with the universal modules extension. I just noticed damned had already replied.

seansps
September 3rd, 2021, 16:48
Have there been any modules done with the SRD data for OSE yet? I haven't been able to find any.

Stitched
September 3rd, 2021, 17:03
Have there been any modules done with the SRD data for OSE yet? I haven't been able to find any.

Private ones, yes, but no "official" modules.

damned
September 4th, 2021, 00:17
I think that there is OSE data available for the new standalone OSE2.pak ruleset.

seansps
September 4th, 2021, 00:24
I think that there is OSE data available for the new standalone OSE2.pak ruleset.

Ah, yes I found a mod in Forge. Thanks!

Xorn
September 8th, 2021, 18:04
After a lot of experimenting I have determined that with this Extension loaded, you can't /export Classes to a module. I made a new MoreCore campaign with no extensions loaded and I can export Classes just fine. When I load the same campaign with the OSE Extension, Classes does not appear in the export window, and even with select all, Classes are not exported.

MoreCore w/o OSE Ext: https://puu.sh/I9U55/b625ee34c0.png

MoreCore w/ OSE Ext: https://puu.sh/I9U6A/b4dcf72d7f.png

I even tried removing the record_pcclass.xml and the extension reference to it (so it uses the MoreCore Classes which I prefer) and I still can't export Classes. I've got the entire Rules Cyclopedia perfectly built but I can't export the classes LOL!

Can someone that understands Extensions better than I do tell me what part of this extension is removing Classes from the export window so I can fix it? Thanks!

EDITS: Revised my question as I did more and more self-experimenting.

UPDATE: I've figured out commenting out the following in extension.xml will restore Classes in the export window. It also makes the classes I built not show up anymore, but at least I figured out where it's blocking it:

<script name="DesktopManagerOSE" file="scripts/data_library_ose.lua" />

Now to figure out what line in the LUA file is messing with the export, and hopefully not having to rebuild all the classes I made. (When I put the line back my classes display.)

UPDATE: Removed that line again from extensions.xml, started a new campaign, and I can't figure out what has been lost. The Class window looks the same as it always has, and it's available to export. Can anyone explain what that LUA file is supposed to do? I don't know LUA for ****, I'm just turning switches and knobs trying to get it to work.

function onInit()

-- Class Data Type
LibraryData.setRecordTypeInfo("pcclass", {
sDisplayText = "library_recordtype_label_pcclasses",
aDataMap = { "class", "referencepcclass" },
aDisplayIcon = { "button_pcclass", "button_pcclass_down" },
fToggleIndex = toggleCharRecordIndex,
sRecordDisplayClass = "pcclass",
});

end

damned
September 9th, 2021, 00:00
In MoreCore see:
scripts/manager_export_morecore.lua

This will need to be extended in the extension...
Tell me what data types are not exporting please.

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 00:37
Xorn what are you trying to do that the stand alone OSE ruleset can't do for you?

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 00:39
Private ones, yes, but no "official" modules.

Ping Gavin at necrotic gnome discord if you want official content. I'd love to share what I am building in.

Xorn
September 9th, 2021, 05:48
In MoreCore see:
scripts/manager_export_morecore.lua

This will need to be extended in the extension...
Tell me what data types are not exporting please.

Oh, I thought the extension would use that automatically? Can I just add that to the extension and it will start exporting classes correctly? Because *without* the extension it exports fine. (And without that LUA I found.)

At the moment I just rebuilt all the classes in my Rules Cyclopedia and it exports and works great now.

To be clear, "Classes" is not available for export with the extension loaded unless I comment out that LUA file I mentioned.

Xorn
September 9th, 2021, 05:51
Xorn what are you trying to do that the stand alone OSE ruleset can't do for you?

I've never looked at the OSE ruleset before, so I'm not sure if it would be better than MoreCore + OSE Extension. But I'm not playing OSE, I'm playing BECMI--I've modified the MC-OSE extension to have 36 levels of saves, use the regular MoreCore class template, and a few other things; called it BECMI-Essentials. I've put literally every word and table from the D&D Rules Cyclopedia into a reference module using MoreCore+"BECMI Essentials".

damned
September 9th, 2021, 05:56
Oh, I thought the extension would use that automatically? Can I just add that to the extension and it will start exporting classes correctly? Because *without* the extension it exports fine. (And without that LUA I found.)

At the moment I just rebuilt all the classes in my Rules Cyclopedia and it exports and works great now.

It should - but something is not working.
I think you mentioned something else that wasnt exporting?
Ill look at the code over the weekend hopefully.

I've never looked at the OSE ruleset before, so I'm not sure if it would be better than MoreCore + OSE Extension. But I'm not playing OSE, I'm playing BECMI--I've modified the MC-OSE extension to have 36 levels of saves, use the regular MoreCore class template, and a few other things; called it BECMI-Essentials. I've put literally every word and table from the D&D Rules Cyclopedia into a reference module using MoreCore+"BECMI Essentials".

Very good!

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 07:28
Nice!

Xorn
September 9th, 2021, 14:32

Sharing/flexing...

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 15:25
A lot of work right there, nicely done. If you are ever ready to convert that over to the stand alone OSE let me know. An extension to take care of the changes and change the graphics would be pretty easy. You would gain a bit of automation but morecore is great.

IS it a full conversion of this?

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/116578/DD-Basic-Set--Players-Manual-BECMI-ed-Basic?filters=44828_0_0_0_0

Xorn
September 9th, 2021, 19:03
https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/17171/DD-Rules-Cyclopedia-Basic?filters=44828_0_0_0_0

Full conversion of this actually. In early 90s they took all the Basic, Expert, Companion, Master, and a little of the Immortal boxed sets and made them into 1 hardcover book. It was a lot of work building it. I'm sure a significant portion would convert over just fine. I'm going to look at the OSE stand-alone and see how it compares to MoreCore + BECMI Essentials.

EDIT: I grabbed OSE2 and took a look at it. Looks like I'd need a pretty hefty extension overlay in order to make this BECMI-friendly. I don't play OSE so I'm not positive what all changes, but BECMI has 36 levels, 7 levels of cleric spells, 9 levels of magic spells. With the MoreCore + BECMI extension, THACO auto calculates from class/level or monster HD, and Saves auto fill for NPCs from the Save As field.

The OSE2 character sheet only shows 6 spell levels, but looks pretty clean otherwise. NPCs look like a wash, though I'm sure they'd have to all be re-entered. Items look about the same, if they could be dropped into the weapons tab that might be an improvement. The class sheet looks like it would cover what I need, and I can add 36 levels for the human classes in the Data tab.

Looks like it could be an eventual improvement, but I'm definitely not qualified to make the adjustments needed in an extension.

bayne7400
September 9th, 2021, 22:11
The classes, races and spells are fully customizable. You can have level 20 spells, level 100 classes and any race you want. All those boxes are are for spell slots at each level. if all you need are more boxes I can make that extension in about 10 minutes:)

damned
September 10th, 2021, 04:00
Please post some screenshots Xorn

Xorn
September 10th, 2021, 17:28
https://puu.sh/Ianyh/ef10f95499.png
Character Sheet, Items, NPCs, Spells (Rolls), Skills (Rolls)

https://puu.sh/IanJI/4fcec9bfaf.png
Working treasure tables.

https://puu.sh/IanN1/c3b567a934.png
Basically all the entries except Story.

https://puu.sh/IanPp/73e7b0bc3b.png
And some class stuff.

Durhazz
September 23rd, 2021, 22:52
It should - but something is not working.
I think you mentioned something else that wasnt exporting?
Ill look at the code over the weekend hopefully.

Very good!

Did you ever get a chance to look at he OSE extension to get the classes to export? Thank you.

Vanveen
October 13th, 2021, 21:58
Anyone still looking at this? Under instruction to change initiative die size to d6, I can only change to d10 and above using the menu arrows. Halp?

Stitched
October 13th, 2021, 22:48
Anyone still looking at this? Under instruction to change initiative die size to d6, I can only change to d10 and above using the menu arrows. Halp?

I thought it had been patched.

If you click within the box OR using the right arrow, to change the dice, it will only cycle through a few select choices (d100, d20, d12, 2d10, d10) repeatedly.

If you click the left arrow, however, you will eventuall cycle to d6.

You can also type the following in the Chat window:

/option MCInitDice 6

and that will switch it to d6 (replace 6 with whatever dice you want to use for initiative, as long as its one of the dice used by Fantasy Grounds initiative - ie: d99 - will switch it to d10).

Vanveen
October 13th, 2021, 22:53
Stitched, you rule. Many thanks!

WishX
October 24th, 2021, 14:41
It looks like Gavin / Necrotic Gnome has posted the official Player's Tome and Referee's Tome to the FG Forge. I didn't see any other forum link denoted as "official" for the ruleset, so I'm posting here.

Link: https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/crafter/168/view-profile

vegaserik
October 24th, 2021, 17:02
https://forge.fantasygrounds.com/shop/items/199/view

This is the free ruleset those go to. There is more coming too. Carcass Crawler and a whole bunch of the adventures will be on the Forge soon.

Talen
October 24th, 2021, 17:14
Probably a pipe dream, but a conversion of classic basic/expert and ad&d 1e to OSE rather than 2e would be great to see in the forge.

vegaserik
October 24th, 2021, 18:01
Probably a pipe dream, but a conversion of classic basic/expert and ad&d 1e to OSE rather than 2e would be great to see in the forge.

You can use the Universal extension to open the Classic mods in OSE, but it's not perfect. Items work straight from Classic to OSE but NPC's of course don't. They're looking at seeing if they can do an extension that will allow Classic to OSE mods. Straight up conversions are unlikely to happen.

Talen
October 24th, 2021, 18:23
Yep, the universal extension works well with a little elbow grease ....not a problem but was hoping for something a little more plug and play.

bayne7400
October 24th, 2021, 19:11
Next update is going to allow you to open 2e content from the store in the OSE ruleset. I developed many of the B modules and X1 and X2 on the store so I made sure when I coded the items they became something usable in OSE ruleset. NPCs are a little tougher but I am going to figure something out when I get the time.