PDA

View Full Version : Old School Essentials for MoreCore

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 9th, 2020, 17:34
Old School Essentials MoreCore

This should get you up and running to play the fantastic Old School Essentials by Nectrotic Gnome (https://necroticgnome.com). Gavin Norman has ok'd this, the decals are official OSE logos.

I'm sure there is a better way of packaging this up, but it's the best I can do with the time I've got. I only have the Unity Beta, so it's be built with that, I'd assume it will work with classic. There are three files you need to make this work all contained in OSE_MoreCore.zip:

Readme.md - info to set this all up
Old_School_Essentials MoreCore.ext - this modifies the character sheet and the NPC sheet and ties in rolls to the combat tracker. It's based on Damned's video tutorials, but there are some steps in the automation I didn't do.
Old_School_Essentials.mod - has a couple of tables and class information from the SRD and a character sheet with attributes, saving throws, attacks and damage. I will probably add Thief skills on there at some point.

You will also need the excellent MoreCore ruleset by Damned (https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?34860-MoreCore-Ruleset)

Download OSE_MoreCore.zip
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials_MoreCore.ext file in the Fantasy Grounds/extension folder
Extract and put the Old_School_Essentials.mod file in the Fantasy Grounds/modules folder
Create a new campaign using the MoreCore ruleset
Select the Old School Essentials extension (and probably an extension to apply a theme; I like to use the MoreCore - OSR Theme extension)
Once your game has loaded, in Options set:

Desktop Decal image to one of the Old School Essentials decals
CT: Initiative Dice Size to d6

Open Library and select Modules. Load the Old School Essentials module. This will load a couple of tables, classes, an example NPC with combat tracker rolls set up and a pregen character sheet that you can use to create more characters.

Notes
I have removed content from the Main and Abilities tabs, they are blank.

Changelog
2020-07-12: Updated LUA comments embedded in XML files from -- to --[[]], thanks to Varsuuk for pointing this out

damned
May 10th, 2020, 06:10
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Dimbyd
May 10th, 2020, 12:36
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 12:46
Well done Old Scouser Roleplaying

You might try the MoreCore - Dungeon Theme with this and see if the look and feel is more suited to your game.

Thanks! I've tried that and the MoreCore OSR theme, both are a great fit.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
May 10th, 2020, 12:47
A grateful world (excluding Merseyside) shwers hosanas on you.

Appreciated... There may yet be some in Merseyside who will appreciate my efforts.

Myrdin Potter
July 9th, 2020, 07:21
Script Error: [string "npc_main:hd"]:1: 'end' expected near '<eof>'
Runtime Notice: s'aMajor: ' | { } | s' aMinor: ' | { }
Runtime Notice: s'onInit: registerResultHandler'

That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

damned
July 9th, 2020, 07:45
I believe the issue is with the comments in record_npc.xml from ln 285.

Varsuuk
July 9th, 2020, 09:08
Yup, the old "-- comment" vs " --[[ comment ]]" when in embedded xml script thing.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 9th, 2020, 19:21
That error when I created a new campaign today. Maybe something not working with changes that Damned recently did? Or Classic and Unity slightly different (I use Classic).

I'll try an update it at the weekend.

Varsuuk
July 10th, 2020, 08:04
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Old Scouser Roleplaying
July 12th, 2020, 15:30
This removes the error due to the comments. If I find anything else, I will post it. I am tracking changes in my local git.
I expect I will look at the warnings about anchors as well when I get to those files.

Right now, I am taking your awesome work as the starting point for a S&W MoreCore adaptation that another community member asked me to modify for him to use.

Thanks for pointing this out. I wasn't getting the error myself so hard to know if this fixes anything, but I have applied the updates you provided to record_npc.xml, also found embedded comments in record_pcclass.xml and changed them. I've uploaded the new package to the original post.

Really pleased to hear you're developing this into a S&W MoreCore module, can't wait to see what you do with it. There's loads more that could be done with enough time...

Varsuuk
July 22nd, 2020, 17:03
Another thing I ran into was use of "." in the name="xxxx" attribute. I replaced them (in the one file I looked at) with "_" when I added a similar thing.

More info on this is on my last post, I had at first thought it was from MoreCore that I grabbed it.
https://www.fantasygrounds.com/forums/showthread.php?60083-What-does-a-self-referential-quot-source-quot-imply&p=528290#post528290

If you are using eclipse or an editor that can take regular expressions, search on this:
name=\".*\..*\" (I added the underlining to help make clearer the extra space at end)

and it will catch that sort of naming.

GoldSeal
August 16th, 2020, 14:44
I have a problem.

I've installed MoreCore and the OSE extension.

I get the following error when I open a class:

Script Error: [string "ref_pcclass_stats"]:1: unexpected symbol near ';'

I get another error when I press on the lock icon on the class:
Script Error: [string "pcclass"]:1: attempt to call field 'update' (a nil value)

Any help in debugging it will appreciated.

Zar
September 5th, 2020, 12:54
When I use the Pregenerated Characters in the Library, then I have an empty Character in the "Characters" tab. I think that's how it should be. I use FGU.